Richard Back/Military Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Back/Military Service?

How dumb am I? LOL For years I have wondered why Richard Back b 1765 Boughton Monchelsea d 1859 Staplehurst Kent married in Prestbury Cheshire and my 3rd great grandmother Elizabeth Back was born 1808 Macclesfield Cheshire. Today I have been told that he was serving as a soldier when he married!!!!!!!! That had never even crossed my mind as theres no mention of it on any census and Elizabeth got married 1827 so no mention of father and occupation.

So I am now curious what regiment he was serving with during his time in Cheshire. I have done some searching on ancestry but nothing is jumping out at me

Chelsea Pensioner’s records? Have you tried them? Also marriage licenses / bonds if it was not a banns type ceremony?

FMP is best for parish record images in Cheshire.

Comment

I have no idea what the marriage was as only seen transcript.
      He was back to being an ag lab on 1851 census living in a cottage on his daughter/son in laws land
      It really never occurred to me that he would be a soldier

Comment

the marriage is in the bishops transcript

Comment

no nothing showing in chelsea pensioners

Comment

Cheshire marriage on FMP 1798 has him as Soldier.

Can't see any record for him on FMP Ancestry or Fold 3 although latter has some very old records.

Vera

Comment

Thank you. I was looking for national archives but their website was down

Comment

I wonder if he was in the Cheshire Yeomanry, which was raised in Jan 1797. The first baptism I can see to Richard & Hannah was in 1803, so the dates would seem to tie in with their disbandment in 1802: https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forc...reyeomanry.htm

Cheshire Archives has some records: http://catalogue.cheshirearchives.or...%20yeomanry%22

Comment

He might have been in that regiment, but it's not safe to assume that he was in a local regiment. Knowing his regiment is key
                  The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                  Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I thought I might have struck lucky with all the free military records this weekend but not found anything so far.

Comment

If you find anything on ancestry that is actually on fold3, that site is free this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        Cheshire marriage on FMP 1798 has him as Soldier.

Can't see any record for him on FMP Ancestry or Fold 3 although latter has some very old records.

Vera
                        I cant see the record on FMP, does it actually say soldier or does it say private Richard Back?
                        Just asking as there are a couple undated military but they are Navy records, I doubt he would be serving in the Navy in Cheshire

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post

I cant see the record on FMP, does it actually say soldier or does it say private Richard Back?
                          Just asking as there are a couple undated military but they are Navy records, I doubt he would be serving in the Navy in Cheshire
                          It says Soldier

Richard Back of Prestbury of this Parish, Soldier and Hannah Hollinshead of Macclesfield Spinster were married in the Church by Banns. 19th November 1798.
                          Richard signed, Hannah her mark
                          Witnesses Edward Redish, Josh. Reddish the latter witnessed other weddings that day

Vera

Comment

Thank you. I have seen a couple listed under chelsea pensioner but nothing concrete to connect them to this guy

Comment

You could try the Cheshire Archives who have some records of Cheshire Yeomanry from 1805. There are some Personnel records but not sure if this would include serving Soldiers.

The Cheshire Regiment not likely to be his as according to Forces War Records between 1793-1805 they were in W Indies, South Africa and India.

Vera

Comment

Thank you. Its all a bit strange as I would have thought most people would join a regiment near their home. So if he joined a Kent one again why would he be in Cheshire. He may have joined a sussex one as a lot seemed to cross the border from time to time

Comment

I have just found the image on familysearch of what looks like Richard Backs 2nd marriage assuming his first wife Hannah died. I was looking for clues to his military service and it says Husbandman, so would that be a clue?

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                                    I have just found the image on familysearch of what looks like Richard Backs 2nd marriage assuming his first wife Hannah died. I was looking for clues to his military service and it says Husbandman, so would that be a clue?
                                    Not really, it just means he wasn't in the army by then - at least not the regulars - and was working as a husbandman.

This was one of the reasons I suggested the Cheshire Yeomanry as a possibility, as (per my original link) "The original intention was to form a regiment of Provisional Cavalry, according to the unpopular Act of 1796, which obliged land owners to supply conscripted men..."

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post

Not really, it just means he wasn't in the army by then - at least not the regulars - and was working as a husbandman.

This was one of the reasons I suggested the Cheshire Yeomanry as a possibility, as (per my original link) "The original intention was to form a regiment of Provisional Cavalry, according to the unpopular Act of 1796, which obliged land owners to supply conscripted men..."
                                      I did look at the link and have emailed the cheshire archives to ask if they have any information about Richard Back. I did do some searches but couldnt find anything

Comment

Working...
                                      X