Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tessie31082
    replied

***1881 William born Tadley married , HOH, ag lab but no family with him next door to school house. Further down page a brother(?) Thomas b Tadley married with children.
    [/QUOTE]

Kat, thanks for this (sorry for not replying sooner - Christmas happened lol) but William and his wife Eliza didn't marry until the following year :(

Tessie

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
    Hi all!

So I am finding it tricky to find William Pearce (Ethel's father) prior to his marriage to Eliza in 1882. On the 1891 census it says he is born in East Meon, Hampshire.

Searching the 1871 census for a William Pearce brings up:

William Hy Pearce b.1857 Portsea, Hampshire - followed on - not him
    William Pearce b. 1857 Clanfield, Hampshire - followed on - not him
    William Pearce b. 1856 Milford, Hampshire - living with Grandparent's - need to look at these and see what children they have
    William Pearce b. 1856 Tadley, Hampshire - lodger (farm servant) - Ancestry doesn't give any further hints when looking at this record - 1881 census living Padworth, Bradfield, Berkshire,- born Tadley, ag lab married. ***
    William H Pearce b. 1858 Cosham, Hampshire - followed on - not him
    William Pearce b. 1856 Mitchelmersh, Hampshire - need to look at this - father William but for some reason I think his father is John but not sure why I think this! - was a woodman -married Alma Selina Wren - followed - not him
    William Pearce b. 1856 Landport, Hampshire - lodger (can't make out what his job is) - Ancestry doesn't give futher hints and Landport isn't too far from East Meon! - telegraph clerk - civil service - learner

There are lots of other William Pearce's but not born in Hampshire.

Is there anything I'm missing or should I just get stuck into looking at the ones I can't rule out straight away?

Thanks

Tessie
    ***1881 William born Tadley married , HOH, ag lab but no family with him next door to school house. Further down page a brother(?) Thomas b Tadley married with children.

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Hi all!

So I am finding it tricky to find William Pearce (Ethel's father) prior to his marriage to Eliza in 1882. On the 1891 census it says he is born in East Meon, Hampshire.

Searching the 1871 census for a William Pearce brings up:

William Hy Pearce b.1857 Portsea, Hampshire - followed on - not him
    William Pearce b. 1857 Clanfield, Hampshire - followed on - not him
    William Pearce b. 1856 Milford, Hampshire - living with Grandparent's - need to look at these and see what children they have
    William Pearce b. 1856 Tadley, Hampshire - lodger (farm servant) - Ancestry doesn't give any further hints when looking at this record
    William H Pearce b. 1858 Cosham, Hampshire - followed on - not him
    William Pearce b. 1856 Mitchelmersh, Hampshire - need to look at this - father William but for some reason I think his father is John but not sure why I think this!
    William Pearce b. 1856 Landport, Hampshire - lodger (can't make out what his job is) - Ancestry doesn't give futher hints and Landport isn't too far from East Meon!

There are lots of other William Pearce's but not born in Hampshire.

Is there anything I'm missing or should I just get stuck into looking at the ones I can't rule out straight away?

Thanks

Tessie

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post
    I noted that Ethel appeared on electoral rolls with last entry 1947. Eventually found her death entry on Ancestry, listed as Ethel M. Bowne, Dec.qtr.1947 Surrey South Western. Then checked this against death entries on GRO site where it is correctly listed as Ethel May Downe.

Annette
    Thanks Anette!

Leave a comment:

• annette.humphreys
    replied
    I noted that Ethel appeared on electoral rolls with last entry 1947. Eventually found her death entry on Ancestry, listed as Ethel M. Bowne, Dec.qtr.1947 Surrey South Western. Then checked this against death entries on GRO site where it is correctly listed as Ethel May Downe.

Annette

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Thanks Kat!

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    Witness? There is a Robert J A Palmer b 22 Dec 1888 - Retail Grocery & General Stores (Own Account) living on the same road as Joseph and Ethel on 1939 register - 43 Critchmere Lane, Hazlemere.
    Edit: I found Joseph in 1911.
    Joseph was a grocer assistant Kingston on Thames
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    Alfred West?? witness living Fernhurst?

Where was Joseph in 1911?

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post
    I agree with the last suggestion, that Ethel May Pearce is the one registered Mar.1891 Midhurst, Sussex. 1891 census shows her as 4 months old (census was 5/4/1891 with would fit with mid. Nov.1890 birth).

She was actually born in Fernhurst, Sussex and in 1911 is in Midhurst, Sussex, a servant, and christian name mistranscribed as Ethal on Ancestry.

Doesn't seem to have been baptised so only way to confirm is to get copy of her birth certificate.

Annette
    Her age is also mistranscribed as 30 therefore born 1881 but the image definitely shows age 20.

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

just to confirm your earlier suggestion doesn't seem correct back mother Laura Neighbour, and the Ethel is registered Evelyn Ethel, so don't think these are your people.

Fernhurst is part of Haselmere and not far from Midhurst.

...realised I had not posted this last night!
    Yes, I assumed this after so are we thinking the one Kat found are correct looking at the info. so far?

Also, I have yet to find Ethel's death if anyone wants to have a look before I get home from work haha!

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll be back with something else soon haha!

Tessie

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Good Morning,

I'm having trouble finding this lady before her marriage to Joseph Downe in 1914.

The marriage has her father as William Pearce.

I think I have found them on FMP but I'm still not getting options for credits/micropayments so I can't see the record and I'm not sure if I'm finding a different family on Ancestry - this is what I have found so far!
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    (I was looking at this info back in 2011 when I first started playing with family history and added altenative info, now I'm not sure it's the correct family!).

There is also this baptism (if the correct family) but can't work out what thw 1st name should be (Ethel as the 2nd name, however my Ethel uses this as 1st name so thinking it's not either the right person or family?)
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...;rhSource=7814

Can anyone find an alternative family I've not seen?

Thanks

Tessie
    just to confirm your earlier suggestion doesn't seem correct back mother Laura Neighbour, and the Ethel is registered Evelyn Ethel, so don't think these are your people.

Fernhurst is part of Haselmere and not far from Midhurst.

...realised I had not posted this last night!

Leave a comment:

• annette.humphreys
    replied
    I agree with the last suggestion, that Ethel May Pearce is the one registered Mar.1891 Midhurst, Sussex. 1891 census shows her as 4 months old (census was 5/4/1891 with would fit with mid. Nov.1890 birth).

She was actually born in Fernhurst, Sussex and in 1911 is in Midhurst, Sussex, a servant, and christian name mistranscribed as Ethal on Ancestry.

Doesn't seem to have been baptised so only way to confirm is to get copy of her birth certificate.

Annette

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied

I wonder if carter was what enumerator heard car'ter - in broad country accent? not sure he would have had one.

what is address on the MC will check out papers
    I always forget about witnesses on the marriage cert and addresses!

Unfortunately the only address written on this marriage cert is Haselmere!!!!

Tessie

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
    What was your father's occupation - could have been the question she was asked possibly rather than whether he was alive or not. Also she was only 4/5 when the father died - would she have known his occupation? - which was a carter on 1991 census.
    I wonder if carter was what enumerator heard car'ter - in broad country accent? not sure he would have had one.

what is address on the MC will check out papers

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    What was your father's occupation - could have been the question she was asked possibly rather than whether he was alive or not. Also she was only 4/5 when the father died - would she have known his occupation? - which was a carter on 1991 census.
    Good point!

Witnesses on the marriage cert. are Alfred West and Robert Palmer

Tessie

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    Who were the witnesses at the marriage, Tessie?

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied

do you have his occupation?
    On the marriage cert. it says carpenter!

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied

Thanks Kat, however, Ethel's marriage in 1914 doesn't say her Father's deceased so not sure this is them either - good point about 1st Q of 1891 for birth reg though! Will look for all Ethel Pearce / Pierce / Pearse for last Q 1890 and 1stQ 1891.

EDIT - this birth is the only one that shows middle name May (same as marriage cert)! However, still the thing about Father not being 'deceased' on marriage cert?

Thanks
    do you have his occupation?

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Another possibility:

If Ethel M Pearce's DOB is 17 Nov 1890 then it is possible that she wasn't registered until 1st qtr 1891.

PEARCE, ETHEL MAY mmn CORNWALL
    GRO Reference: 1891 M Quarter in MIDHURST Volume 02B Page 403

Midhurst is in West Sussex.

Marriages Sep 1882 FREEBMD
    Cornwall Eliza Thamar Midhurst 2b 645
    PEARCE William Midhurst 2b 645
    Sturt Frederick Ernest Midhurst 2b 645
    Terry Ellen Jane Midhurst 2b 645

1891 census
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...d=282186499921
    Household Members Age Relationship
    William Pearll 35 Head
    Eliza Pearll 28 Wife
    William L Pearll 8 Son
    Alice D Pearll 5 Daughter
    Edith M Pearll 3 Daughter
    Ethel M Pearll 4/12 Daughter

Edit:

1901 census Ethel Pierce
    https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=6658573
    Thanks Kat, however, Ethel's marriage in 1914 doesn't say her Father's deceased so not sure this is them either - good point about 1st Q of 1891 for birth reg though! Will look for all Ethel Pearce / Pierce / Pearse for last Q 1890 and 1stQ 1891.

EDIT - this birth is the only one that shows middle name May (same as marriage cert)! However, still the thing about Father not being 'deceased' on marriage cert?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X