Ethel Pearce - 1891/1901 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

just to confirm your earlier suggestion doesn't seem correct back mother Laura Neighbour, and the Ethel is registered Evelyn Ethel, so don't think these are your people.

Fernhurst is part of Haselmere and not far from Midhurst.

...realised I had not posted this last night!
    Yes, I assumed this after so are we thinking the one Kat found are correct looking at the info. so far?

Also, I have yet to find Ethel's death if anyone wants to have a look before I get home from work haha!

Thanks everyone! I'm sure I'll be back with something else soon haha!

Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post
      I agree with the last suggestion, that Ethel May Pearce is the one registered Mar.1891 Midhurst, Sussex. 1891 census shows her as 4 months old (census was 5/4/1891 with would fit with mid. Nov.1890 birth).

She was actually born in Fernhurst, Sussex and in 1911 is in Midhurst, Sussex, a servant, and christian name mistranscribed as Ethal on Ancestry.

Doesn't seem to have been baptised so only way to confirm is to get copy of her birth certificate.

Annette
      Her age is also mistranscribed as 30 therefore born 1881 but the image definitely shows age 20.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Alfred West?? witness living Fernhurst?

Where was Joseph in 1911?
        Kat

Comment

Witness? There is a Robert J A Palmer b 22 Dec 1888 - Retail Grocery & General Stores (Own Account) living on the same road as Joseph and Ethel on 1939 register - 43 Critchmere Lane, Hazlemere.
          Edit: I found Joseph in 1911.
          Joseph was a grocer assistant Kingston on Thames
          https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
          Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat!

Comment

I noted that Ethel appeared on electoral rolls with last entry 1947. Eventually found her death entry on Ancestry, listed as Ethel M. Bowne, Dec.qtr.1947 Surrey South Western. Then checked this against death entries on GRO site where it is correctly listed as Ethel May Downe.

Annette

Comment

Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post
                I noted that Ethel appeared on electoral rolls with last entry 1947. Eventually found her death entry on Ancestry, listed as Ethel M. Bowne, Dec.qtr.1947 Surrey South Western. Then checked this against death entries on GRO site where it is correctly listed as Ethel May Downe.

Annette
                Thanks Anette!

Comment

Hi all!

So I am finding it tricky to find William Pearce (Ethel's father) prior to his marriage to Eliza in 1882. On the 1891 census it says he is born in East Meon, Hampshire.

Searching the 1871 census for a William Pearce brings up:

William Hy Pearce b.1857 Portsea, Hampshire - followed on - not him
                  William Pearce b. 1857 Clanfield, Hampshire - followed on - not him
                  William Pearce b. 1856 Milford, Hampshire - living with Grandparent's - need to look at these and see what children they have
                  William Pearce b. 1856 Tadley, Hampshire - lodger (farm servant) - Ancestry doesn't give any further hints when looking at this record
                  William H Pearce b. 1858 Cosham, Hampshire - followed on - not him
                  William Pearce b. 1856 Mitchelmersh, Hampshire - need to look at this - father William but for some reason I think his father is John but not sure why I think this!
                  William Pearce b. 1856 Landport, Hampshire - lodger (can't make out what his job is) - Ancestry doesn't give futher hints and Landport isn't too far from East Meon!

There are lots of other William Pearce's but not born in Hampshire.

Is there anything I'm missing or should I just get stuck into looking at the ones I can't rule out straight away?

Thanks

Tessie

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                    Hi all!

So I am finding it tricky to find William Pearce (Ethel's father) prior to his marriage to Eliza in 1882. On the 1891 census it says he is born in East Meon, Hampshire.

Searching the 1871 census for a William Pearce brings up:

William Hy Pearce b.1857 Portsea, Hampshire - followed on - not him
                    William Pearce b. 1857 Clanfield, Hampshire - followed on - not him
                    William Pearce b. 1856 Milford, Hampshire - living with Grandparent's - need to look at these and see what children they have
                    William Pearce b. 1856 Tadley, Hampshire - lodger (farm servant) - Ancestry doesn't give any further hints when looking at this record - 1881 census living Padworth, Bradfield, Berkshire,- born Tadley, ag lab married. ***
                    William H Pearce b. 1858 Cosham, Hampshire - followed on - not him
                    William Pearce b. 1856 Mitchelmersh, Hampshire - need to look at this - father William but for some reason I think his father is John but not sure why I think this! - was a woodman -married Alma Selina Wren - followed - not him
                    William Pearce b. 1856 Landport, Hampshire - lodger (can't make out what his job is) - Ancestry doesn't give futher hints and Landport isn't too far from East Meon! - telegraph clerk - civil service - learner

There are lots of other William Pearce's but not born in Hampshire.

Is there anything I'm missing or should I just get stuck into looking at the ones I can't rule out straight away?

Thanks

Tessie
                    ***1881 William born Tadley married , HOH, ag lab but no family with him next door to school house. Further down page a brother(?) Thomas b Tadley married with children.
                    Kat

Comment

***1881 William born Tadley married , HOH, ag lab but no family with him next door to school house. Further down page a brother(?) Thomas b Tadley married with children.
                      [/QUOTE]

Kat, thanks for this (sorry for not replying sooner - Christmas happened lol) but William and his wife Eliza didn't marry until the following year :(

Tessie

Comment

Working...
                      X