No announcement yet.

Ancestry DNA puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And no cousins on your father's side? Even cousins on the side of the tree that you are not researching can be useful for sorting your matches.

Comment

Only one and she's not interested.
      Cath.

Comment

This thread started with mention of a predicted 1st-2nd cousin (no tree and no response to message) and the thought that that match may connect to your unknown Grandpa somehow. How many cM do you share with that match? Is there a list of shared matches that you and this match share? Do any of those shared matches have a tree? Can you see how any of those shared matches may connect together around a common ancestor? If yes, is there enough information to build a WATO tree to determine where you may fit relative to these matches? - https://dnapainter.com/tools/probability

Comment

Apparently we share 422cm 6% shared DNA but I really don't understand all these figures.

None of our shared matches seem to have a tree except for a couple on paternal side.
          My son also has this person in his matches but I'm waiting for him to get back to me with his figures.

It's all so long ago that it looks like an impossible task. Same thing in the case of my paternal grandmother - also no father on bc.
          Thanks for reply.
          C.
          Cath.

Comment

The shared CM project gives these possibilities for 422cM

486F2BB5-47A5-48B4-B104-7A81BE9E3E4F.jpeg

Comment

Re: the above image, I have quite a few people where the relationship on ancestry is a bit closer than their prediction.

Comment

Thanks, it will be interesting to see what my son's results say. .
                Cath.

Comment

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                  Thanks, it will be interesting to see what my son's results say. .
                  I know you said this match has no tree but do they have an age group in their profile? That would be handy to know which generation from the ones in the 80% probability. I reckon though that you’ll be looking at either Half 1C or 1C1R.

Of the matches that I personally know, I have 3 brothers who are my 1C1R. The matches are 340cM, 326cM and 280cM. Ancestry had the first two as 2nd cousins and the last one as 3rd cousin.
                  I also have my highest personally known match who is my cousin’s daughter at 358cM so another 1C1R and again ancestry had her as 2nd cousin.

My biggest match overall is MG from my “missing” quarter as my Mum was illegitimate and never knew who her father was. I have three good matches from the Mr X’s extended family, all verified now by paperwork. All the ancestry estimates were one stage out as with the ones listed above. MG is my 1C1R with 407cM.
                  My shared cM Project table for 407cM gave me the same relationship possibilities as the ones in your table at 80% but my figure is slightly less at 77%.

You will crack it eventually, I’m sure. Just hang in there and keep checking new matches and who their common matches are. Contact any who have you and this mystery match in common.

Comment

This person has given no personal information at all. His ethnicity points to him probably being from my maternal line as he has very little Scottish DNA. (I have 26%). Then again he could just as easily be from my paternal (English) grandmother who was also illegitimate.
                    Cath.

Comment

Forgot to mention (probably not relevant) that I have a match 202cM 3% match with a first half cousin once removed.

She hasn't been matched with my mystery person. I know who she is as we went to the same school at the same time but didn't know of the family connection even though we had the same surname. She is on my paternal line. Am I grasping at straws in thinking the mystery person is from my mother's line?
                      Cath.

Comment

... I have a match 202cM 3% match with a first half cousin once removed.

She hasn't been matched with my mystery person. ...She is on my paternal line. Am I grasping at straws in thinking the mystery person is from my mother's line?
                        While it is difficult to prove a negative, it seems reasonable to think that the mystery match is on a line that you don't share with your half-1C. But your half-1C probably doesn't share another line on your paternal side, too?

You mentioned that your other cousin doesn't want to test - does she have any children who could be persuaded?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

While it is difficult to prove a negative, it seems reasonable to think that the mystery match is on a line that you don't share with your half-1C. But your half-1C probably doesn't share another line on your paternal side, too?

You mentioned that your other cousin doesn't want to test - does she have any children who could be persuaded?
                          That's true. My grandfather was her grt grandfather but with different wives,
                          No real contact with other cousin or family.
                          Cath.

Comment

Did you know that when you click on show all DNA matches, there’s a filter option?
                            You can choose to only see those matches that you have a common ancestor with, right down to the smallest shared cM that ancestry lists.
                            Start at the top of this list and check for your common matches but also look at your Thrulines for each one. These give you the people that ancestry thinks are on a different line to you but are descendants of a common ancestor.
                            Bear in mind Thrulines are not 100% guaranteed to be correct but they can give up clues as to how you connect.
                            Thrulines draws its ideas from trees, even the private ones so long as the tree owner has set it to private but searchable. If they have set their tree to both private and unsearchable, Thrulines won’t generate between you and the tree owner.
                            Same goes for your own tree settings. You need to be either public or private but searchable.

Comment

Yes thanks Christine, I think I've probably covered that.
                              I have very few close matches but hopefully more people will test soon.

Most of the connections in thru lines go back to Ann Banton - see FTF magazine vol2 August 2008.
                              ​​​​​​​
                              Cath.

Comment

Yes thanks Christine, I think I've probably covered that.
                                I have very few close matches but hopefully more people will test soon.

Most of the connections in thru lines go back to Ann Banton - see FTF magazine vol2 August 2008.
                                ​​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X