Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ancestry DNA puzzle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ancestry DNA puzzle

    The results of my DNA test has a 1st/2nd cousin who appears to be my closest match but we don't have a common ancestor.
    Why could that be? Is it possible they could be descended from my unknown grandfather. This person hasn't got a public tree.

    I've tried messaging but had no reply
    Cath.

  • #2
    Several of my 2nd cousins have no tree so no common ancestors show, but I know who they are so know where the connection lies. A common ancestor would only show if you both had that person named and dated in your tree.

    Comment


    • #3
      How do you know there is no common ancestor if there is no public tree? Do they have a private tree linked to their DNA account?

      they or their parents could have been adopted. Perhaps illegitimacy? Perhaps they have step parents or step grandparents and are following that tree?

      Comment


      • #4
        Has the person who owns the test got a 'real' name as their user name? If you are lucky it could be possible to work out where they fit by building a tree yourself. I have done this on numerous occasions for quite small matches. Have you looked at their profile? Sometimes there are quite big clues there.

        Certainly if you have an unknown grandfather they could be descended from him. The chances are just as likely as from any of your other grandparents. Does the person have any shared matches with others who match you?

        Sometimes the size of a match can be surprisingly large, so the person may be a little more distant than the size of the match implies.
        Anne

        Comment


        • #5
          I have absolutely no clue!!
          He may have made up his user name but then again maybe not.
          He has no tree and no profile ,
          All our matches either have no tree or no profile..
          The only known name in matches is my son who has just got his results.

          I would just love to find who my mother's father was and this person could hold the key.
          Cath.

          Comment


          • #6
            How frustrating! Does it say when he last signed in to Ancestry? If it is a long time ago he may have lost interest or even passed away
            Sadly Ancestry messaging is very hit and miss, you don't always get notification of a message. Sometimes it doesn't even show on the little envelope and you have to actually check the messages to see if there are any new ones. All this makes it possible he doesn't even know that you have sent a message, specially if he rarely signs in.

            Is the user name a common one? I'm happy to have a quick look if you want to PM me.

            Anne

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
              The results of my DNA test has a 1st/2nd cousin who appears to be my closest match but we don't have a common ancestor.
              Why could that be? Is it possible they could be descended from my unknown grandfather. This person hasn't got a public tree.

              I've tried messaging but had no reply
              How many cM do you share with this predicted 1st/2nd cousin? How many cM does your son match with them? Those cM values will help you figure out what the actual relationship may be ( https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4 ). Do you have any shared matches with them? Do those shared matches give any clues as to which line this match may connect to you by. Have you tried grouping all your matches via Grandparent lines using the Leeds method ( https://www.danaleeds.com/the-leeds-method/ )? This will help you figure out which matches most likely connect via your missing Grandfather or one of his ancestors. If you can figure out how those matches connect together you may be able to build sideways and forwards to figure out where you fit and, therefore, who your Grandfather was.

              Comment


              • #8
                That all sounds too complicated for me to get into my aged brain !!

                It's pretty much impossible to use grandparent line - Mum and 2 brothers were illegitimate and paternal grandmother was too.
                Thanks for replying though.
                C.
                Cath.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                  That all sounds too complicated for me to get into my aged brain !!

                  It's pretty much impossible to use grandparent line - Mum and 2 brothers were illegitimate and paternal grandmother was too.
                  Thanks for replying though.
                  C.
                  I have an aged brain as well but it is amazing what it can still learn!!🙂 Admittedly, working with DNA is a bit of a learning curve!! I have still got a lot to learn!

                  Your situation is certainly more difficult than most but I would venture to say probably not impossible to figure out with time and persistance.



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JaneC View Post

                    I have an aged brain as well but it is amazing what it can still learn!!🙂 Admittedly, working with DNA is a bit of a learning curve!! I have still got a lot to learn!

                    Your situation is certainly more difficult than most but I would venture to say probably not impossible to figure out with time and persistance.

                    And apologies for the spelling mistake ... it jumped out at me as soon as I pressed 'post reply'. I couldn't figure out how to edit it? Is there an edit function?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Do you have any siblings/cousins/nieces/nephews tested as well? Or could be? Particularly descended from this grandfather?

                      you can then group matches to eliminate grandma's side and then be left with some from grandfather....if you can work out how they are related you know which family to pursue....especially if they match people you don't from grandfather's line, one of these matches may be the key, as they may have a detailed tree or know of your branch etc

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        JaneC the edit button is only available for a few minutes following your post.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                          JaneC the edit button is only available for a few minutes following your post.
                          Thanks. Where is it found. I looked immediately after posting but couldn't find one.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JaneC View Post

                            Thanks. Where is it found. I looked immediately after posting but couldn't find one.
                            Bottom right hand corner of your Post.

                            edit.jpg
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As KyleJustin said - known cousins can help sort your matches into the different ancestral lines. If either of your parents is living, testing that parent would be even more valuable than a cousin. Ditto with a parent's sibling(s).

                              It is common in genetic genealogy research to pay to test other people either to help you sort your matches, or to rule in a suspected relationship. Proving the negative is difficult, meaning that just because someone doesn't match both you and a cousin, you can't be sure that they are not from you/your cousin's common ancestral line. Well, maybe you could if you used a chromosome browser, but AncestryDNA doesn't have one...
                              ------------------------------------------------------
                              My Families
                              London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                Do you have any siblings/cousins/nieces/nephews tested as well? Or could be? Particularly descended from this grandfather?

                                you can then group matches to eliminate grandma's side and then be left with some from grandfather....if you can work out how they are related you know which family to pursue....especially if they match people you don't from grandfather's line, one of these matches may be the key, as they may have a detailed tree or know of your branch etc
                                No cousins, sibling etc. My mother and two siblings, all registered with no father named, were born 1904/9 and had no children (apart from me) that I can find. All my cousins come from my Grandmother's marriage to someone who was in the army in Ireland when my mother and her brothers were born in Rochdale so couldn't be her father.

                                I think it's still a case of "we'll never know",
                                Cath.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Can you persuade your mother and her two brothers to test? Everybody’s DNA is 50/50 mix of their parents but the mix is different for each child.
                                  Father has 100% to contribute and each of his children inherit 50% of that from anywhere inside that 100%. Same goes for the mother’s contribution. Very simplistically, it’s like each parent is a big pot that’s stirred and the child gets a random ladleful from each pot.
                                  The point of that being that whilst your mother and her two brothers will inevitably inherit some of the same bits in their ladlefuls, they will also get some bits that one or both of the others did not.
                                  It’s these different bits that can provide vital clues when you are searching for an unknown connection. If your mother and her two brothers all test, each will get some matches that the others don’t. Note down these exclusive ones and then check who the “common matches” are. The clues could well come from those.

                                  Hope that makes sense

                                  PS In the above, I have assumed that your granny had a long term relationship in Rochdale and your mother and her brothers share the same father even though he was never named.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Not really possible Christine. They would be between 117 and 112 years old !!

                                    Many years ago, my late great aunt said that their mother joked that she should keep my grandmother (I have only vague memories of her) under lock and key as every time she went out she came back pregnant. This makes me think all three sibling have different fathers.
                                    I'm pretty sure that this is a lost cause but thanks anyway.
                                    C
                                    Cath.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Sorry Cathy! I misread that as 1940/9. Need to clean these specs!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Cath.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X