No announcement yet.

The 1921 Census arrives online at Findmypast on 6 January 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to it. My Dad and two Aunts were not on the 1911 for some reason. P/Grandparents there. It's a puzzle. Hopefully there this time. Look forward to seeing my mother. She would have been 19 and used to say she worked 'in place'.

Vera

Comment

It will be interesting but i know where everyone was in 1921. No mysteries to solve. Particularly interested to see where a set of 3rd great grandparents are doing though. They both died in 1921, and in 1911 were separate. Husband at home with his son (married with a family of his own), wife staying at daughter's.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        I don't expect that it'll tell me anything new, my mum won't be on there as she wasn't born then. My grandparents will be though, but I know where they were living.
        My paternal grandparents will also be on there, though I suspect paternal granddad was working and living in Hucknall [he was born there too] whereas Pat/Grandma may be 'in service' in Hucknall having moved from Birmingham/Marston Green.
        My mat/great grandma would still be alive at this point[she died in 1928] but many had already died by then.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My maternal grandparents married in 1920 and I'm looking forward to finding out where they lived. I don't mind paying to find out, given the work that's gone into getting it online.

I know where my paternal grandparents will be though - they lived in the same house for decades; just the number of the house changed. Same with my great grandparents. Anyone else I can wait for.
          Jenny

Comment

My direct lines were all out of the UK before the 1891, and I have limited interest in tracing side lines. Does anyone know if Channel Islands are included in the release?

Comment

Does anyone know:
              - Can anyone buy it at £2.50/£3.50 or do you have to be a FMP subscriber?
              - Will an image show the whole household, like 1911? If so seems very reasonable especially for large families.
              People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
              Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                Does anyone know:
                - Can anyone buy it at £2.50/£3.50 or do you have to be a FMP subscriber?
                - Will an image show the whole household, like 1911? If so seems very reasonable especially for large families.
                Anyone will be able to buy them but FMP Pro subscribers will get a discount - from the link in the first post:

Only available at Findmypast - Discover the most extensive census ever and discover the lives of 38 million men, women and children in 1921.

How much will the census cost?

£2.50 for every record transcript and £3.50 for every original record image.

This will cover the cost of digitising and transcribing the 18,235,242 images created from the records supplied exclusively to us by The National Archives. It means these precious records are accessible, commitment-free, for everyone.

For all 12-month Pro subscribers, there will be a 10% discount on any 1921 Census purchases.
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I am assuming that the charge applies per page, so like the 1911 there are the enumerator schedules also, it tells you about the documents on the video, I found the video quite fascinating.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I might consider getting the page for my paternal grandparents to see where they were living and gran’s own parents as my eldest aunt (now deceased) was said to have lived 50 odd miles away with her Mum’s parents for the first four years of her life. On census day she’d be 9 months old. With a bit of luck, that page will also show her Uncle John William (Jack), Gran’s only brother who Daddy was named after. He died 17 months after the census due to ill health caused by war service. It is said he was badly gassed twice.

Jack was engaged but hadn’t got round to the marriage which I’ve always thought was a bit odd as there is a lovely photo of them together and he is in uniform and I think I can see a ring so the engagement took place whilst he was serving and likely sometime 1914 - 1917. I think between these dates because Gran and Grandad were married 2 August 1917 and Jack and Lily were the witnesses. Folks then tended not to hang around and married quickly in the hope it would all turn out ok in the end. Even if the photo was taken as later as the last few months of the war, four years later they still weren’t married. It’s not as if Jack was out of work and couldn’t yet support her as he had been an elementary school teacher before joining up and went back to teaching after he was demobbed.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      I might consider getting the page for my paternal grandparents to see where they were living and gran’s own parents as my eldest aunt (now deceased) was said to have lived 50 odd miles away with her Mum’s parents for the first four years of her life. On census day she’d be 9 months old. With a bit of luck, that page will also show her Uncle John William (Jack), Gran’s only brother who Daddy was named after. He died 17 months after the census due to ill health caused by war service. It is said he was badly gassed twice.

Jack was engaged but hadn’t got round to the marriage which I’ve always thought was a bit odd as there is a lovely photo of them together and he is in uniform and I think I can see a ring so the engagement took place whilst he was serving and likely sometime 1914 - 1917. I think between these dates because Gran and Grandad were married 2 August 1917 and Jack and Lily were the witnesses. Folks then tended not to hang around and married quickly in the hope it would all turn out ok in the end. Even if the photo was taken as late as the last few months of the war, four years they still weren’t married. It’s not as if Jack was out of work and couldn’t yet support her as he had been an elementary school teacher before joining up and went back to teaching after he was demobbed.
                      Maybe like my grandfather he didn't actually get back until much later - my grandfather, an accountant by trade although with the RA, stayed on as part of the teams sent around to investigate for the reparations issues and didn't come back until 1920. That's how he met my grandmother as she was out there as a secretary.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                        I am assuming that the charge applies per page, so like the 1911 there are the enumerator schedules also, it tells you about the documents on the video, I found the video quite fascinating.
                        If so then I guess a transcript will also cover the whole household, otherwise the pricing makes no sense.
                        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

Maybe like my grandfather he didn't actually get back until much later - my grandfather, an accountant by trade although with the RA, stayed on as part of the teams sent around to investigate for the reparations issues and didn't come back until 1920. That's how he met my grandmother as she was out there as a secretary.
                          Didn’t think of that.
                          How I’ve often wished I could go to Burslem and comb through the Staffordshire Sentinel for any mentions of him. I think I did ask years ago about Absent Voters Lists and was told there none in the Staffordshire Archives. His service / attestation records and pension records are not on ancestry. All I have are his medals records, an article from the Staffordshire Sentinel 7 October 1915 of a list of men on the staff of the Education Board who had enlisted. “John Harrison, Cobridge Church School” could be him but maybe not. Harrison is not exactly an uncommon name in The Potteries and there’s no middle initial nor does it say which regiment or service any of the men enlisted into. Jack was in the Royal Engineers.
                          I also have a very poor copy of a printed card signed by the Major General of the 46th North Midland Division of the British Expeditionary Force that he has read with much pleasure that John’s “Commanding Officer and Brigade Commander have informed me that you have distuinguished yourself by conspicuous bravery in the Field”. Sadly, it’s not dated and nobody has a clue what he did. The very fact the card was issued by the BEF suggests the 1915 newspaper list could very well be him. The card shows Jack’s rank as Lance Corporal but his medal cards say Sapper.

Anyways - no more of Uncle Jack as I’m wandering off topic

Comment

I think I know where all my rellies were in 1921, but I've been surprised before!

I just hope it's been transcribed better than 1901 - there isn't a single family member on that census who has been transcribed correctly. My grandfather Jeuel was rendered Denel, my Smoothy great-grandparents as Lenorthey, etc.
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                            X