X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1921 Census arrives online at Findmypast on 6 January 2022

Findmypast@findmypast

The wait is almost over.

The #1921Census arrives online at Findmypast on 6 January 2022, in partnership with @UkNatArchives

https://findmypast.co.uk/1921-census
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

It’s going to be a long time yet then before I renew my subscription. I will wait till it’s integrated into the package.

Comment

The National Archives, Лондон. Отметки "Нравится": 107 986 · Обсуждают: 227 · Посетили: 4 411. As the archive for England, Wales and the UK government, we hold over 1,000 years of history

Same announcement from TNA: 1921 Census online publication date announced

Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

at £2.50 per transcript but 10% discount for subscribers

Comment

Better start saving .......
          Caroline

Comment

I don't expect that it'll tell me anything new, my mum won't be on there as she wasn't born then. My grandparents will be though, but I know where they were living.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Lovely news but a bit expensive. Like you say Caroline, better start saving now. £2.50 is only for the transcription and £3.50 for the original.

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                It’s going to be a long time yet then before I renew my subscription. I will wait till it’s integrated into the package.
                I'm very cynical, I expect that before the Census is integrated into the package FMP will hike their subs up to more than cover the costs.
                Margaret

Comment

If you watch the video on their page you can start to understand the likely costs that accompanied this project. I can see why they are initially charging that much. However, I'm happy wait for a couple of years more to see what happens with the price..
                  Phil
                  historyhouse.co.uk
                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
                    If you watch the video on their page you can start to understand the likely costs that accompanied this project. I can see why they are initially charging that much. However, I'm happy wait for a couple of years more to see what happens with the price..
                    If that is what they need to charge then so be it and as I said, we just need to begin saving up. I would assume that none of us actually expected a free ride though some of the FB posters seemed to expect it.
                    Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post

If that is what they need to charge then so be it and as I said, we just need to begin saving up. I would assume that none of us actually expected a free ride though some of the FB posters seemed to expect it.
                      The 1901 census was initially a separate pay per view site but I don’t remember it being that expensive, comparatively speaking. It was the same when TNA passenger lists came online. They called that one ancestorsonboard.com and there were plenty promotional freebie or discounted scratch cards around. I still have an unused one at the back of a drawer somewhere LOL
                      Scotland’s 1921 census now likely won’t appear until well into 2022 but most likely the credits per page will be the same as the earlier censuses.

Comment

When the 1911 census was first brought online I didn't subscribe because I had a pretty good idea that it would solve no near family mysteries. I waited until it was part of the general subscription and I was right. Of course, since then I made extensive use of it for more distant family. The same will apply to the 1921 census. I know where all my near family were and can wait for the more distant ones.

Don't mind paying at all, of course, but I have to draw the line between 'essential' close family work and 'interesting' distant family work. In just the same way I have nearly got all the certificates I need for close family but draw the line at wholesale certificate buying for distant family unless it is essential.

Anne

Comment

Yes, I remember the 1901 and 1911 census being pay to view and spent a fortune looking for my Grandmother on 1901 census until I eventually found her in Rotherham. I was only a beginner at family history then so probably would find her easier now.

I appreciate how much it must have cost to produce it. Will invest in the ones that will be helpful to me.

Getting excited now. There are a few that will be really helpful.
                          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I don't think it will solve and mysteries for me so I am not expecting to download anything, though of course I will use the free search to see if anything of interest comes up.

Comment

One of my paternal Gt Grandparents might be on it, I’ll need to check what date she died. Daddy won’t be there but his eldest sister (the firstborn) should be as I’m sure she was 1920.

Comment

I'm looking forward to it.

My parents and OH's mother were on the 1911, my parents were born 1903 and 1904, and OH's mother in 1910, his father was born in August 1911 so his parents were married on the census.

It will be interesting to see what they were all doing in 1921, as my parents left school at age 12 so out at work. Mum was a dance teacher at an Arthur Murray dance studio at some time in the 1920s ......... she met Dad when she was teaching him how to do the Cha Cha and her long bead necklace got caught on the buttons on his suit vest . I think that was around 1925 or 26 though ......... they married in 1928 after he'd convinced her to go out with him.

I know which images I will be buying

An article on the MailOnLine last night said it had taken 3 years to do the work, including capturing and killing bugs!

I don't begrudge them trying to get some of that cost back ........................ but am wondering if the cost is only for downloading the images so that it might be possible to LOOK at them without paying??????

It might take 2 or even 3 years to reach the point where it is included in the subscription.
                                Last edited by Sylvia C; 27-10-21, 18:25. Reason: correction for age parents' left school
                                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

When you compare it to a price of a BC I suppose it isn't so bad. I will probably get a few initially of the direct line, both sets of grandparents for me, and see how it goes.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I will be looking for grandad after the tale my aunty spun...something to do with the cigarette family (maiden name is Wills) and an aunt bringing him up!

Might be him on the 1911 with a lady called Rosa which just happens to be my aunties middle name and he wasn't a Barnados boy like grandma said either and grandma was very definite about that one!!!
                                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Sadly it won't show my Granda as he was born in August but I'm hoping it might help to show a further record for his Aunt. Otherwise I cannot really do much else as all other Grandparents were born in 1930, 1939 and 1941 and unless there's a miraculous Scottish 1939 it won't really help solve a mystery either sadly
                                      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                                        …and unless there's a miraculous Scottish 1939 it won't really help solve a mystery either sadly
                                        The 1939 Register for Scotland does exist but our laws are a bit different so its closure period is being strictly adhered to. There won’t be a release with redacted lines as in England and Wales.

You can apply to get the entry for an person but it is expensive at £15 per application and it is only for that one individual (who must be deceased) and not the whole household. You are not given date of birth despite the person being deceased.

Details and link to application form here; https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statis...ficial-extract

Comment

Working...
                                        X