Announcement

Collapse

Incorrect 'Banned' Message...

We are aware of some members being greeted by a message stating they have been 'banned' from FTF when attempting to access the site.

Rest assured this is not the case, however if you experience this issue please log out of FTF then log in again.

We have isolated the cause and will take all available steps to ensure this does not happen again.

Please accept our apologies if this has caused any upset or anxiety.
See more
See less

Greenwich pensioner records

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greenwich pensioner records

    Good Evening,

    Where would I need to start to see if I can find any records?

    Thanks

    Tessie

  • #2
    I've had a Google and FMP has some records however I don't have a sub and there are lots of records (54) for John Steel! I can't narrow down with year of birth etc so wondering if anyone who had a sub would be kind enough to have a look? He was born (according to 1851 census) 1769 Devizes, Wiltshire. Ancestry hints have him marrying as a widow to Hannah Newbury in Whitechurch Canonicorum, Dorset in 1826, however, their son who is my relative William was born in Ipsden, Oxfordshire 1824-1826 according to census (I can't find a baptism yet)!

    https://search.findmypast.co.uk/sear...ords-1704-1919

    Thanks as ever, Tessie

    Comment


    • #3
      Unfortunately these are just the paybooks, and they don't provide any identifying features. If you know the last ship they served on or when they retired, then with a bit of effort you can pick out who your looking for, but otherwise you need a nice unusual name like Digby Wigglebottom

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by teasie View Post
        Unfortunately these are just the paybooks, and they don't provide any identifying features. If you know the last ship they served on or when they retired, then with a bit of effort you can pick out who your looking for, but otherwise you need a nice unusual name like Digby Wigglebottom
        Ah ok! I know nothing about the man other than what is on the 1851 census hence trying to find pensioner record for him!

        Thanks Teasie!

        Comment


        • #5
          Here's the baptism for William. Indexed as Steeb on Ancestry.

          Name: William Steeb
          Baptism Date: 18 Apr 1824
          Baptism Place: Ipsden, Oxfordshire, England
          Father: John Steeb
          Mother: Hannah Steeb

          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...cklabel=Return
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by keldon View Post
            Here's the baptism for William. Indexed as Steeb on Ancestry.

            Name: William Steeb
            Baptism Date: 18 Apr 1824
            Baptism Place: Ipsden, Oxfordshire, England
            Father: John Steeb
            Mother: Hannah Steeb

            https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...cklabel=Return
            Keldon, thanks! However, on the 1851 census he says he's born in Devizes and his parent's aren't married until 1826 (unless I have the wrong marriage - it's what was hinted on Ancestry)?!

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm confused. You wrote "my relative William was born in Ipsden, Oxfordshire 1824-1826 according to census (I can't find a baptism yet)!"

              I thought as you couldn't find it I would look for you. This appears to be the baptism you were looking for.

              Name: William Steel
              Baptism Date: 18 Apr 1824
              Baptism Place: Ipsden, Oxfordshire, England
              Father: John Steel - labourer of Berrins Hill
              Mother: Hannah Steel
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by keldon View Post
                I'm confused. You wrote "my relative William was born in Ipsden, Oxfordshire 1824-1826 according to census (I can't find a baptism yet)!"

                I thought as you couldn't find it I would look for you. This appears to be the baptism you were looking for.

                Name: William Steel
                Baptism Date: 18 Apr 1824
                Baptism Place: Ipsden, Oxfordshire, England
                Father: John Steel - labourer of Berrins Hill
                Mother: Hannah Steel
                Keldon,

                Sorry I was confused! Thank you

                Comment

                Working...
                X