Parish records search please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parish records search please

Could someone please check the images for these Staffordshire marriages a baptism and a burial? They’re not on a****try but the opposition should have them
    Many thanks.

I’m particularly interested in occupations and fathers both times for Charles and his marital status in 1848 and also of Ann plus her father’s details. I have a sneaking feeling they’d both been married before. Ann may have had the surname WILLIAMS at some point and conveniently “forgot” in 1848.

1836 St John, Burslem TOPHAM, Charles WAINWRIGHT, Bessy
    1840 St Peter, Stoke WILLIAMS, Michael ROGERS, Ann
    1848 St Mark, Shelton TOPHAM, Charles ROGERS, Ann

1842 14 June St Paul, Burslem. The baptism of Edward TOPHAM to Charles and Elizabeth.
    I cannot find a birth certificate for this child.

1846 14 September St Margaret, Wolstanton. The burial of Elizabeth TOPHAM

From Free Reg.
    In 1848 Charles Topham is shown as a widower, occupation cooper, residence Shelton. Father Edward Topham, cooper.
    Ann Rogers, spinster. Father Simon Rogers, labourer.

The other two marriages also on Free Reg.

Comment

Free Reg.
      Baptism. Edward Tapham 14 June 1842. Burslem. Parents Charles (potter) and Elizabeth

Comment

brentor boy Many thanks for those.

I can now rule out the 1840 WILLIAMS, Michael and ROGERS, Ann marriage as having anything dodgy about Ann hiding a previous marriage. I am fairly certain that this couple are in Drayton, Shropshire on later censuses although Michael’s birthplace varies between Staffordshire, Eccelshall and Shropshire, Drayton.

I am also now certain that the Charles TOPHAM who married in 1836 and 1848 are the same man. The witnesses are identical in both cases. I’m not too bothered about his change of occupation. I already have a few members of other family branches in The Potteries who move between occupations eg. potter to miner etc. Charles’ son Edward does the same himself begins working life as a potter and moves through cooper’s apprentice to cooper which he is when he marries Eliza HALL.

It also gives me some evidence that various ancestry trees are wrong in that they have Ann Rogers as Edward’s father and not Bessy / Betsie / Elizabeth WAINWRIGHT. It’s a mystery as to why I can’t find his birth on ancestry indexes nor the GRO online one. Perhaps he was just never registered?

Does anybody have FMP for the images for the above (except for the 1840 marriage which I now know is wrong)? Addresses for the events would finally tie things up for me if they match census addresses. Freereg doesn’t transcribe addresses.

Comment

Shucks, it looks like FS has the images for Staffordshire, but you have to be at a Centre or the Library to see them.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

transcription of 1848, with link to image (but it won't go there)
          Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

1836:

Comment

PhotoFamily Ach, drat! Thanks for trying.
            I was so sure these would be in Staffordshire parish records on FMP. There was a Family History Centre about 15 miles from me but I don’t know if it’s still there. I’ll look into it.

Comment

1836 St John, Burslem TOPHAM, Charles WAINWRIGHT, Bessy on FMP but no occupations witnesses are jospeh goodwin? lea and Ann Lea
              1840 St Peter, Stoke WILLIAMS, Michael ROGERS, Ann on FMP he is a labourer first time marriage for them. Anns father George - a labourer, Thomas and Ann bradbury witness
              1848 St Mark, Shelton TOPHAM, Charles ROGERS, Ann on FMP 6 June 1848 he is widower and a cooper same witnesses as first marriage, father edward also a cooper,, anns father is simon and a labourer, she is a spinster

1842 14 June St Paul, Burslem. The baptism of Edward TOPHAM to Charles and Elizabeth. on FMP father is a potter
              I cannot find a birth certificate for this child.

1846 14 September St Margaret, Wolstanton. The burial of Elizabeth TOPHAM on FMP age 55

Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

meant to say FMP has loads of staffordshire parish records https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/...r_by=relevance I am still using library log in, guess it will run out soon.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

cbcarolyn Many thanks. Could you get me the addresses for bride and groom for Charles’ second marriage please and for the baptism of Edward and burial of Elizabeth?

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    meant to say FMP has loads of staffordshire parish records https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/...r_by=relevance I am still using library log in, guess it will run out soon.
                    I forgot totally about that!! Please ignore previous post for now. I will go check to to see if my library still has access. Wot a numptie, espcially as it was me brought to theit attention that the service was on offer and could they please get it

Comment

I've been looking at FMP PR's today and it gives results for free but to see transcripts/images you have to sub, I'm trying to get my head around their site so I can figure out if I will have a sub or not.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

cbcarolyn UPDATE on FMP library edition. We have no longer got this through our library service. We still can access ancestry library edition though but no images there.

Comment

Snipped them for you
                          Attached Files
                          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Elaine Thanks ever so much. Trust my luck they have just put the town on one and the area which is also a reg district on the other.
                            Here’s hoping the 1848 marriage gives street addresses

Comment

The marriage to Ann Rogers, both just of Shelton I'm afraid

Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

sorry only just checking in, yup as Elaine has said no addresses or anything worth mentioning sadly. Does look like Ann with 2 different fathers, so maybe 2 different Anns?
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 19-10-21, 22:29.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                  The marriage to Ann Rogers, both just of Shelton I'm afraid
                                  Thanks for looking.

Comment

Working...
                                  X