What's in a name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a name?

Can anyone read this name? Ancestry have transcribed it as Gumary, FMP as Gumnery. temp.jpg
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Wow - that is a difficult one! Can you tell us about the document it was on?
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

My sister in law was a Gummery b Worcestershire

Vera

Comment

I think it’s closer to Gummery than Gunnery but it is certainly is difficult to be 100% sure.

Comment

I read it as Gummery - one of my primary school teachers wrote her lower case "N"s and "M"s like that in the register! Luckily she taught the infant class - "joined up" writing was taught once you got into the "big class." (I went to a village school, with about 26 children on roll, two classes, a head teacher and an assistant mistress.)
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks each. I think I'll record it as Gummery with a cautionary note.
            People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
            Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

A link would be great, but my first thought was Guernsey. or Greenway. Really your example just looks like a series of waves.

Comment

Working...
              X