British Newspaper Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Newspaper Archive

Hi guys, cannot remember if I've put this in the correct place as it's been such a long time since I've used this website (hi!) but last night I did a search on the BNA about someone after reading a book, long story short it got me searching for a lot of other names connected to my tree on the off chance and lo and behold there was a new newspaper for my area that I've never come across - Stockton Herald, South Durham and Cleveland Advertiser.

Even more bizarre is that it was actually free to view but I was using incognito mode on my phone which meant I wasn't able to screenshot it and when I went to full mode search I was no longer able to open it. Has anyone else had this happen to them by chance?

I'm really interested in the article as it may have solved a huge brick wall of mine regarding a 2x Great Aunt of mine, Annie Phillips. It may provide the name of the father to her first son, her illegitimate son I might add. I have tried a search for the man to find more but the only Stockton record is for someone born 20 years after the article so I've got to widen that search.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

There are now some papers free to view. They were part of the first project to scan Brit Lib newspapers by Gale. You still have to register to view them. Then select free on the left hand side navigation. Here's the title you mentioned. Was yours the same date?

Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Mine was dated October 1903 and I've tried getting it back up but I cannot seem to at all as part of the free to view, it changes to subscribe and I've tried different computers and accounts. It's just puzzling why it was free but isn't any longer.

Comment

they launched a bunch of them for free a while back

In partnership with the British Library, we have made a large portion of our digitised newspaper pages available to you for free. With Findmypast, uncovering your family's stories couldn't be easier...

Following the extension of the British Library and British Newspaper Archive's partnership, we are delighted to announce that a million pages are now free to view.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Stockton is my home town, so if there's anything I can help with let me know.

EDIT - Oops, just seen that its your home town too!

Comment

I think this is the article:
            Herbert Flynn.JPG
            Attached Files

Comment

I've not quite got the hang of uploading images, but the Yorkshire Evening Post 23 Oct 1903 and the Ripon Observer of the same date says Herbert was a Harrogate labourer, so it seems he moved about.

ADDED: There are a few more articles in the Ripon newspapers mentioning Herbert, and also a brother, Arthur, and they can both be found in Ripon as Flinn - Herbert born c1877 and Arthur c1873.

In 1901 Herbert FLINN is at 69 Garbutt Street, Stockton, aged 24 born Ripon & a general labourer - RG13/4626/121/27

Comment

Now that's certainly more than I'd managed to find, I thank you for that one and if it's Garbutt Street it wouldn't surprise me as Annie is a Major Street born girl. Annie is a major brick wall in a way as she had 3 illegitimate children, the oldest got left with a brother and the second 2 were born in the workhouse. Annie herself is in a Durham "fallen woman" home on 1911 and disappears after that.

Comment

Just to let you know I messaged the BNA about the issue regarding the free articles and they are looking into it for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X