X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anne in Carlisle
    replied
    Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
    That's brilliant Lin. Thank you so much. re those newspaper articles available on Ancestry?

Dan
    British newspapers are available on FMP or their own British Newspaper site. Both are subscription sites. They are not available on Ancestry.
    Anne

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Originally posted by keldon View Post
    I found him on fmp searching for george, devon, year +-1 and occupation journalist.
    I don’t have FMP at the moment. Hopefully once they sort out a refund, I can resubscribe later this year.

Leave a comment:

• keldon
    replied
    I found him on fmp searching for george, devon, year +-1 and occupation journalist.

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    He's shown as Grish on Ancestry.
    69, Westminster Bridge Road, Lambeth, London & Surrey
    Rg13 Piece 405 Folio 7 Page 6

Well found

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    Just goes to show how hopeless ancestry’s search can be when things are mistranscribed.
    I searched for George R as exact, sounds like and initials and also Grist as surname with all the variants and sounds like thrown in plus born in Torquay.
    They have mistranscribed that as Torguay but I also tried with just Devon as the birthplace so surely the all encompassing surname search should have picked up GRISH ?

Leave a comment:

• quiffdo
    replied
    Thank you Willsmum

Leave a comment:

• willsmum
    replied
    You will find him transcribed as George R GRISH, visiting Roland H Hope and family.

Beaten to the post !

Leave a comment:

• quiffdo
    replied
    Fantstic. Thank you very much Keldon.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• keldon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• quiffdo
    replied
    That's brilliant Lin. Thank you so much. re those newspaper articles available on Ancestry?

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Lin Fisher
    replied
    Haven't found him on 1901 census but loads of bits on him in the newspapers. Not very good at copy the newspaper but this is the one about his career.

18th Apr 1902. Torquay Times
    Death of journalist last Tues aged 47
    Early Training on Torquay Times, then appointment at Totnes. Subsequently joined the staff at Birmingham Daily Mail. After several years returned to Torquay Times and afterwards joined Western Daily Mercury being appointed London Rep.
    The next appointment was on the Parliamentary staff of Central News. The editor of Hansard Records.

There are also some pieces on his paying of maintenance and wanting it reduced. Will keep looking

Leave a comment:

• quiffdo
    replied
    No problem, thank you for looking

Leave a comment:

• GallowayLass
    replied
    Sorry, I haven’t found him.

Leave a comment:

• quiffdo
    started a topic Grist 1901 census

Grist 1901 census

Hi everyone

I am looking for my OH's relative by the name of George Reginald Grist born 1860 in Torquay on the 1901 census. He died in 1902 in London and I have him on all other census listed as a Reporter/Journalist.

He divorced his wife Adelaide Bertha in 1899 but I cannot find him after that except his death.

Other than the 1901 census I am hoping to find out as much as I can about his career.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Working...
X