Can anyone tell me the surname ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me the surname ..

.. of Hopestill who married Potter Whichello - 1st line for 1676 - lots of copied/pasted or people good at dechiphering the writing have it as Prichett/Pritchatt on Ancestry.

I can't find her using these names before her marriage - I guess records are less available this far back?

Her name is one I've not come across before and can't find much information on the origin of this either.

Thanks for reading / looking.

Tessie

I’m stumped with this one. It could be Prachatt but all I can really make out is P___hatt. I used FMP in case they had something different.
    I tried to find a baptism but nothing fits and also
    a previous marriage to a man named something like Prachatt but still nothing fits.

Comment

Have now tried ancestry and found a possible baptism in Oxfordshire for Hopestill PRATT. The right sort of age for the marriage. Hanwell parish is about 3 miles NW of Banbury.

Hopestill Pratt
      Birth 13 Jul 1655
      Baptism 29 Jul 1655
      Hanwell, Oxfordshire, England
      Father Mathew Pratt

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ue&pId=1688223

Comment

In view of the above and the 'creative' spellings of the age it could be something like Prahatt.
        Anne

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Have now tried ancestry and found a possible baptism in Oxfordshire for Hopestill PRATT. The right sort of age for the marriage. Hanwell parish is about 3 miles NW of Banbury.

Hopestill Pratt
          Birth 13 Jul 1655
          Baptism 29 Jul 1655
          Hanwell, Oxfordshire, England
          Father Mathew Pratt

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ue&pId=1688223
          Galloway Lass - the family do end up that way a couple of generations later so this is very possible - I'll take a look, thanks!
          Interestingly, she is buried/interred at Bunhill Cemetery - a plague pit, a burial ground for nonconformists and part of it used by Quakers!

Tessie

Comment

Pr**hatt is what I get you can compare the 'r's with married and they are the same. It might be Pra*hatt, but the only thing that I come up with is Prachett.. but it doesn't look like that either!..
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Galloway Lass - the family do end up that way a couple of generations later so this is very possible - I'll take a look, thanks!
              Interestingly, she is buried/interred at Bunhill Cemetery - a plague pit, a burial ground for nonconformists and part of it used by Quakers!

Tessie
              With the forename Hopestill I would have thought she was probably of Quaker origins. In which case, it might be worth looking to see if there are any surviving Friends records for the area.
              Bear in mind Quakers didn't usually attend church to have their baptisms, marriages etc, recorded in parish registers, although one pair of my Norfolk Quaker ancestors did have their marriage recorded in the church register, with the addendum that they were Quakers.
              Births were recorded (as they didn't have baptismal ceremonies) and also declarations of intended pairings/marriages, in the minutes of Friends' meetings.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post

With the forename Hopestill I would have thought she was probably of Quaker origins. In which case, it might be worth looking to see if there are any surviving Friends records for the area.
                Bear in mind Quakers didn't usually attend church to have their baptisms, marriages etc, recorded in parish registers, although one pair of my Norfolk Quaker ancestors did have their marriage recorded in the church register, with the addendum that they were Quakers.
                Births were recorded (as they didn't have baptismal ceremonies) and also declarations of intended pairings/marriages, in the minutes of Friends' meetings.
                I did wonder about her name Janet! Marriage is in the parish registers so maybe she wasn't a practising Quaker - the Whichello's she married into weren't are far as I can tell! I'll look up about the Quakers and see if there is any info around the area they lived / were buried. Thanks

Comment

My husband has several Hopestills from Sussex at this period (none Quakers all C of E)

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                    My husband has several Hopestills from Sussex at this period (none Quakers all C of E)
                    Must be a name of the time Jill! Never seen it before until now

Comment

Working...
                    X