X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    certainly mighty hard.

I did note that the 2 Powell children were born in same place as Rachel Davies, and the wife Mary had changed age, so could be a new wife? could have died at same time as Rachels death, in merthyr. There is a Mary Davies death in 1877
    DAVIES, RACHEL REES
    GRO Reference: 1877 S Quarter in SWANSEA Volume 11A Page 635
    Many Mary Davies deaths

there is a marriage of a May Powell in same quarter, seems a bit quick, but maybe what happened in this times when things were tough on your own.

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    I will try to add some proof by looking at other records available.

Currently looking at a Charles Davies' Army record which gives limited info but gives an age of 18 years 10 months ie d ob 1866. Could have fibbed of course. Do you know if your Charles was in the Army? No Next OK unfortunately.

Enlisted 10 Feb 1885. Was in the Welsh Borderers, Militia and Monmouthshire Engineers. Discharged 15 May 1995.

Vera
    I honestly have no idea if Charles was in the army or not. All I have for him is 1901, 1911, wedding cert and his name on 3 of his children's weddings certs. I don't even know when he died. Can't seem to find him in 1939 either, if he was still alive.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    I will try to add some proof by looking at other records available.

Currently looking at a Charles Davies' Army record which gives limited info but gives an age of 18 years 10 months ie d ob 1866. Could have fibbed of course. Do you know if your Charles was in the Army? No Next OK unfortunately.

Enlisted 10 Feb 1885. Was in the Welsh Borderers, Militia and Monmouthshire Engineers. Discharged 15 May 1995.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Thank you. I'll work on the assumption that the John Vera found is correct for now. I've always assumed he was the right one or the most likely anyway. The welsh names are a nightmare. I have some Jones' too and they were so much easier than Davies! Thank you all again

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Hello Nora

Not familiar with Welsh areas. Looking at GRO there are 2 possible records for Charles

Davies Charles June q 1868 mmn Rees
    Davies Charles Sept q 1868 mmm Dickins

Nothing certain but parking this here as a possibility. Need to check GRO for mmn

Marriage of ? Charles son William 1920 Bedwelty has witnesses named Powell

1881 Merthyr, Glam

Davies John 38 Miner b Rhymney
    Mary 33 b Dowlais
    Thomas 17 Rhymney
    David 15. "
    Charles 13. "
    Jane 9. "
    John 7. "
    Rachel 3. "

Living with them Powell children who are said to be step children but more likely relatives
    David 15
    Mary or Margaret Ann 11

Davies John 29 Miner Glam
    Mary 30 Breck
    Thomas 8 b Merthyr
    David 5 Merthyr
    Charles 3 Bedwellty
    Margaret Ann 1/12 Bedwellty GRO mm Rees

Living Bedwellty

Vera
    I did find these - not found Rachel though, but all names are common so anything could fit! i think a lot more data maybe
    DAVIES, THOMAS JOHN REES
    GRO Reference: 1864 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 95
    DAVIES, DAVID REYNOLD REES
    GRO Reference: 1867 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 114
    DAVIES, CHARLES REES
    GRO Reference: 1868 J Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 116
    DAVIES, JANE REES
    GRO Reference: 1871 J Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 98
    DAVIES, JANE REES
    GRO Reference: 1873 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 99
    DAVIES, JOHN EYTHEN REES
    GRO Reference: 1874 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 126

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Welsh are so hard with everyone having the same name, and same occupation! i did have a look around, but it was late, looks like Vera is on the trail

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    It's the similar names which make it difficult to be sure when checking mother's maiden names against children and for me lack of knowledge of the towns.

I believe the Powell children belong to the sister of John Davies ie Mary Davies who married Robert Powell. I can see them in the 1871 with their parents. Not sure what happened to their parents. In the 1891 Mary Ann Powell is recorded as adopted child with John and Mary Davies

1871 Merthyr Tydfil

Powell Robert 28 Coal Miner ? Methvey, Glam
    Mary ? nee Davies 27 Dowlais
    Elizabeth 8. "
    David 5. "
    Margaret 3 "
    Mary Ann 1. "
    Plus lodger

Living 74 Mary St Upper Merthyr

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Hello. Thank you for replying. I've found all what you found but got confused by the Powells and I assumed that John had remarried because I found Mary Powell on an earlier census married to Robert Powell and all their childrens ages and names matched up but then got lost trying to find a marriage for John to a Powell. I've also searched for a marriage between a Dickins and Davies but can't find any but there are many for Rees and Davies!
    It's the welsh names being so common, it makes things so complicated :(

Thank you for your help though, much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Hello Nora

Not familiar with Welsh areas. Looking at GRO there are 2 possible records for Charles

Davies Charles June q 1868 mmn Rees
    Davies Charles Sept q 1868 mmm Dickins

Nothing certain but parking this here as a possibility. Need to check GRO for mmn

Marriage of ? Charles son William 1920 Bedwelty has witnesses named Powell

1881 Merthyr, Glam

Davies John 38 Miner b Rhymney
    Mary 33 b Dowlais
    Thomas 17 Rhymney
    David 15. "
    Charles 13. "
    Jane 9. "
    John 7. "
    Rachel 3. "

Living with them Powell children who are said to be step children but more likely relatives
    David 15
    Mary or Margaret Ann 11

Davies John 29 Miner Glam
    Mary 30 Breck
    Thomas 8 b Merthyr
    David 5 Merthyr
    Charles 3 Bedwellty
    Margaret Ann 1/12 Bedwellty GRO mm Rees

Living Bedwellty

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    started a topic Help finding Charles Davies

Help finding Charles Davies

Hello! I need some help trying to find Charles Davies born 1869 in Tredegar, unsure of his death. I have him in 1901 and 1911. He married Elizabeth Ann West in 1895 (I have the wedding cert). Wedding cert says his father is John Davies and he's a collier. I need help trying to narrow down who his mum was and find them in 1891 and before. There's a few possibilities but I don't know how to confirm any. I try to follow up with possible people but just end up getting lost :( As always any help is greatly appreciated!
Working...
X