X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

I even googled how to research Welsh families. I will need to read the article again. Started about how good it was that so many records were now available online.

Vera
    did it give you anything useful? I did look in the welsh newspapers a while back maybe a search with some of the addresses might bring up something

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    I started looking at children. Not got far with Thomas. Thought David's son had emigrated but that was a different David m to Mary Jones. That looks a better David given the area of m and closeness to your Charles'. You can only go with the possibilities. Referring to GRO for mm n not greatly helpful.
    ​​80% a good start for WaIes I think.

I even googled how to research Welsh families. I will need to read the article again. Started about how good it was that so many records were now available online.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    I feel like I'm taking up all the space here trying to work all this out! I think I've found Johns son, David Davies but it holds no clues to John other than his name on the wedding cert. Think this is his marriage: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource
    Place and job are the same for John as on Charles's wedding cert. Think I can track David through 1891, 1901 and 1911 and he lives in the area I know and where Charles's son lived. Not fully sure but like 80% sure!

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    John with parents Morgan and Ann in 1841 was with them in the 1851 as b in Aberdare. Can find it in my notes. Will check for record

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    I've found this for John and possible parents:
    ​​​​​​https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...try&h=14137285

Can't find them later though. Found a marriage for Ann and Morgan with Ann being Ann Evans:
    ​​​​​​https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

But can't seem to find any births for any of the children with MMN as Evans. Not sure what any of it means though!

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Not seen an enoch anywhere, would this mean he could be dismissed? quite a good unique name
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 25-09-21, 22:54.

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Going up a generation in the hope of getting closer to John and Mary and their marriage

Looking at John Davies b 1841/42 Gelligaer only. Have whittled him down to 3 families

There is a John D with parents William and Ann and John D with parents Enoch and Sarah. The parents can be seen in 1861 but John D not with them although there is a 22 year old John D boarding in Gelligaer.

This one has John D with mother Ann in 1851 and 61.
    1851 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

noted an Elizabeth born pre 1841 and think this may be her with parents Ann and Thomas
    1841 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Ann and children together in Gelligaer in 1861 with the loss of baby Rees but additional Lewis b 1844.
    1861 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

A Lewis Davies can be seen with Grandparents Lewis and Carherine George in 1851

There is a marriage for an Ann George in 1837
    Ancestry.co.uk - Monmouthshire, Wales, Anglican Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1551-1994

Not finding any marriage for John Davies to Mary Rees. The marriage cert of John D to Mary Powell ? 1877 would confirm/eliminate Thomas.

Not getting my bearings on this one at all with the mass of same names. May be looking at the children of John and Mary (1st wife) would be the way forward although your Charles is not revealing anything at the moment.

Vera

This is fantastic work but I understand the frustration of not getting your bearings. It seems like everyone born at the time had the same name, it's so annoying! I'll send some messages to the people who have trees with Mary Powell in them, see if anyone has the cert, if not I'll buy it. It'll probably help anyway just to confirm his fathers name.
    I've tried looking at John and 1st wifes children but not getting anywhere. Charles is the only one I'm sure of. There's lots of hints for a few of the children but I'm not sure because a lot of copy and pasting of trees has happened.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Going up a generation in the hope of getting closer to John and Mary and their marriage

Looking at John Davies b 1841/42 Gelligaer only. Have whittled him down to 3 families

There is a John D with parents William and Ann and John D with parents Enoch and Sarah. The parents can be seen in 1861 but John D not with them although there is a 22 year old John D boarding in Gelligaer.

This one has John D with mother Ann in 1851 and 61.

noted an Elizabeth born pre 1841 and think this may be her with parents Ann and Thomas
    1841 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Ann and children together in Gelligaer in 1861 with the loss of baby Rees but additional Lewis b 1844.
    1861 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

A Lewis Davies can be seen with Grandparents Lewis and Carherine George in 1851

There is a marriage for an Ann George in 1837
    Ancestry.co.uk - Monmouthshire, Wales, Anglican Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1551-1994

Not finding any marriage for John Davies to Mary Rees. The marriage cert of John D to Mary Powell ? 1877 would confirm/eliminate Thomas.

Not getting my bearings on this one at all with the mass of same names. May be looking at the children of John and Mary (1st wife) would be the way forward although your Charles is not revealing anything at the moment.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Oh good news Nora.

Still left with John and Mary. Have whittled down some but only possibilities as difficult to get even an inkling with so many Same names.

​​​​​​There is one which has John b 1842 with widowed m Ann plus sibs. Father Thomas plus marriage for Ann and Thomas Davies.Will post with links tomorrow.

Vera
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    After a lot of Googling I think the place is Cwmsyfiog, in New Tredegar which lines up with Charles place of birth on the census and like you say Vera, same place on 1871 census. I think it's the right birth cert at least!

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    It's similar to the address on the 1871.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    CharlesDavies1868BirthCert.pngThis is the Charles Davies birth cert that I ordered from GRO. Still unsure if it's him but can only assume it is? It at least confirms that his mother was called Mary. Can't make out the word above Bedwellty though.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied

Correction

The Mary Davies b Carmarthenshire was in the 1901 with Rachel Eames and family in Aberdare. She was recorded as Boarder aged 58. Sadly also Mary was blind.

Ancestry.co.uk - 1901 Wales Census
    1901 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Possible burial record for Mary Davies in 1902. Buried Dowlais 25th October aged 58. Abode Aberdare.

Glamorganshire, Wales, Anglican Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1570-1994 - Ancestry.co.uk

Vera
    that was the one that only spoke Welsh.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied

Just noticed, when wandering off, that Mary Davies previously Powell is recorded in the 1871 as born Methvey, Carmarthenshire. So could be mother of Mgt Telfer in the ?1911 That Elaine/Carolyn found.

Vera
    Correction

The Mary Davies b Carmarthenshire was in the 1901 with Rachel Eames and family in Aberdare. She was recorded as Boarder aged 58. Sadly also Mary was blind.

Ancestry.co.uk - 1901 Wales Census
    1901 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Possible burial record for Mary Davies in 1902. Buried Dowlais 25th October aged 58. Abode Aberdare.

Glamorganshire, Wales, Anglican Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1570-1994 - Ancestry.co.uk

Vera

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    he has POB as Mothvey / Myddfai

ukbmd says https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/llandovery.html llandovery

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-09-21, 21:56.

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    That makes a lot more sense.Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    there is this tree on Ancestry, https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...34951093/facts, have you contacted him? He looks like he has done a lot of research, but not put it on ancestry
    Yes, this is the first guy I messaged haha. Asking about how he knows John's first wife was Mary Griffiths and he explained he didn't know and it's very possible it's wrong. We're linked through DNA, he's a half distant cousin because he's an ancestor of Rachel Davies. Maybe John did marry a Griffiths, who knows. I can't find possible births though for all the children with Griffiths as MMN. It would help to know who first used Griffiths as the name because the others must've just copied the trees.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    there is this tree on Ancestry, https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...34951093/facts, have you contacted him? He looks like he has done a lot of research, but not put it on ancestry

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I would go for Mothvey https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Mothvey

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Now having a look at John Davies b Gelligaer. Surprise, surprise there is more than one.

Gelligaer is about 30 miles from Llangynwyd.

Just noticed, when wandering off, that Mary Davies previously Powell is recorded in the 1871 as born Methvey, Carmarthenshire. So could be mother of Mgt Telfer in the ?1911 That Elaine/Carolyn found.

The 1881 was a bit.of a challenge. It records Mary Davies previously Powell as b Dowlais as well as her children. Margaret Powells dob was incorrect also should have been. 1868.

Vera
    There's a lot of trees that have Margaret Powell, daughter of John and second wife Mary Powell, marrying Thomas Telfer so I assume that 1911 census is correct.
    On the 1871 census for Mary Powell her place of birth looks like Merthyr, Carmarthenshire but has been transcribed as Methvay. There is a small parish village called Merthyr in Carmarthenshire because I couldn't find any such place called Methvay.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X