X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nora
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

there is a user name ivorst1 that has posted marriage and birth certs that maybe worth contacting.

trees have this Thomas going to USA
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...2?pId=26651721

so many names the same, it must have been so confusing when these chidren went to school, calling the register must have been a nightmare
    I've already sent him a message. Still waiting for a reply though. His tree is all a but muddled, some makes sense but then he has each child attached to separate parents etc. A reply from him would help because he has photos too.

I'll be able to see the US records soon. My sub is due to renewal but I'm waiting to use the 50% off trick from here haha.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    there is Thomas John Davies death cert and mother is Mary Jones, might not be able to see as US https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...&pId=603477992

age 44 born June 11th death 13 Nov 1921
    is the library edition still available at home, not checked in a while.
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-10-21, 00:34.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Nora View Post

This is amazing! I don't have a worldwide sub to ancestry so won't be able to see all the USA records but it all looks very promising. I came across a few David Davies's with a middle name that looked likely but the middle name threw me, seems like he did have a middle name though. I'd assume it is him on 1871 and 1881, can't see how it can't be lol. The name Haydn is common too, on the Davies's side, Charles' son is Charles Haydn and his son too.
    Some of the people I'm connected to through DNA are from the US. The link between us was through the Davies's but couldn't find who emigrated so this might finally be the answer!
    there is a user name ivorst1 that has posted marriage and birth certs that maybe worth contacting.

trees have this Thomas going to USA

so many names the same, it must have been so confusing when these chidren went to school, calling the register must have been a nightmare
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 03-10-21, 00:15.

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Thank you all so much finally feel like I'm getting somewhere and closer to finding John's parents and hopefully Mary Rees' parents. The other children are more difficult though!

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied
    On findagrave David J. Davies and family with lots of links to family

He was born in Aberdare, the son of John and Mary Rees Davies. He was the husband of Elizabeth Jane Thomas. immigrated with his wife and her parents arriving in New York City on 3 January 1887 aboard the Leerdam. His children were Mrs. David P. (Mary Elizabeth)Lewis, Mrs. Thomas (Catherine) Price, Hayden Prosser,...

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    good work Vera, I have been looking through papers with those addresses and found nothing.

wonder if there are more records out there just not on line, like school records.
    Obviously a hard working, respectable family. Need the odd brawl or poaching to turn something up.

School records as well as Newspapers good source. I wonder why this family had a poor showing on the Parish Records or maybe they're there but not yet found.

I recall getting some vital info from a School record which led me to finding that my g/mother had a previous marriage.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    good work Vera, I have been looking through papers with those addresses and found nothing.

wonder if there are more records out there just not on line, like school records.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Needs a bit more work Nora but worth pursuing I think. Did you also note that Thomas b 1863 m to Mary Jones was recorded as living at 5 Lower Union St. The address of John b 1842 and Mary ? Rees in 1891 was 5 Upper Union St.

I've looked at the Uncle David J Davies. He is married to Elizabeth Jane Thomas of Dowlais. There is a marriage in 1886 for David Davies to Elizabeth Jane Thomas. Might be worth getting that mc to help confirm/eliminate.

Sep q 1886 Merthyr Tydfil 11 666.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Looking at the children. Finding a Thomas b 1863 Rhymney. Married to Mary Jones. He has two children who emigrated Mary Maud Davies and Thomas John. Lots of info on them in the USA which reveals father Thomas and mother Mary Jones living 5 Lower Union Street, Dowlais.
    Thomas and Mary also had a child Hayden/Haydn b 1900. Seem to remember Charles had children deceased in infancy with middle name Haydn. Just some thoughts.

Just looking at Thomas J b 1887 Dowlais son of Thomas b 1863 Rhymney who m Mary Jones b 1863 Aberdare. Thomas J emigrated to Penn in 1913. Fare paid for by Uncle David J Davies b 1864 Wales. David J died before Thomas J arrived. Records show that David J Davies was b 8 Dec 1864 d 23 Jan 1913 father John Davies mother Mary Reese.

Wonder if he is the David of 1871 and 1881 with John and Mary. No.seco nd name then however

Vera
    This is amazing! I don't have a worldwide sub to ancestry so won't be able to see all the USA records but it all looks very promising. I came across a few David Davies's with a middle name that looked likely but the middle name threw me, seems like he did have a middle name though. I'd assume it is him on 1871 and 1881, can't see how it can't be lol. The name Haydn is common too, on the Davies's side, Charles' son is Charles Haydn and his son too.
    Some of the people I'm connected to through DNA are from the US. The link between us was through the Davies's but couldn't find who emigrated so this might finally be the answer!

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Looking at the children. Finding a Thomas b 1863 Rhymney. Married to Mary Jones. He has two children who emigrated Mary Maud Davies and Thomas John. Lots of info on them in the USA which reveals father Thomas and mother Mary Jones living 5 Lower Union Street, Dowlais.
    Thomas and Mary also had a child Hayden/Haydn b 1900. Seem to remember Charles had children deceased in infancy with middle name Haydn. Just some thoughts.

Just looking at Thomas J b 1887 Dowlais son of Thomas b 1863 Rhymney who m Mary Jones b 1863 Aberdare. Thomas J emigrated to Penn in 1913. Fare paid for by Uncle David J Davies b 1864 Wales. David J died before Thomas J arrived. Records show that David J Davies was b 8 Dec 1864 d 23 Jan 1913 father John Davies mother Mary Reese.

Wonder if he is the David of 1871 and 1881 with John and Mary. No.seco nd name then however

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied

I wasn't sure what was being ruled in or being ruled out as not been keeping up with posts. the welsh newspapers don't go beyond 1919, was hoping that maybe Charles death maybe in the.

I have noted down the addresses and see if there is anything in the papers, not unique names not making papers searching easy either. Will have a wander around later, and see if I can get a better idea exactly where.

I have

can't read hamlet on this one at the moment

21 George street, Merthy Tydfil - again can't decipher hamlet

haven't found

3 Hill Street, Tredegar Coal Hewer

same place
    3 Hill street, Tredegar (St George parish)

Coal Haulier, pob New Tredegar

and for John Davies I have

Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil POB Gelligaer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelligaer
    All of those are believed to be correct so far for Charles and family. 1901 and 1911 are also correct, I've had those in my tree for ages haha.
    I found this for 1891 for Charles and am leaning towards it being him because he gives pob as New Tredegar like on other census's:
    ​​​​​​https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...13&usePUB=true
    The 1891 for John Davies is also believed to be correct.

I know Dowlais well, I live there haha. I don't know Gelligaer very well though.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied

I'll try but I might also get confused! The Charles and John Rees Davies that Vera mentioned are John Davies and Mary (the 1st wife with likely maiden name Rees) children. Charles lived in 3 Hill Street, Rhymney according to 1901 and 1911. Charles is the only child of John that I'm confident on. The rest are just a minefield. Too many possibilities and same names.
    Still unsure who John Davies's parents are or who Mary 1st wife's parents are. Can't seem to find a marriage record for them. I'm probably gonna buy Johns marriage record to 2nd wife Mary Powell and see who is father is to help confirm or rule out some people, maybe.
    I hope this is what you meant, if not I'm sorry lol, I tried but it's a mess!
    I wasn't sure what was being ruled in or being ruled out as not been keeping up with posts. the welsh newspapers don't go beyond 1919, was hoping that maybe Charles death maybe in the.

I have noted down the addresses and see if there is anything in the papers, not unique names not making papers searching easy either. Will have a wander around later, and see if I can get a better idea exactly where.

I have

can't read hamlet on this one at the moment

21 George street, Merthy Tydfil - again can't decipher hamlet

haven't found

3 Hill Street, Tredegar Coal Hewer

same place
    3 Hill street, Tredegar (St George parish)

Coal Haulier, pob New Tredegar

and for John Davies I have

Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil POB Gelligaer

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied

There is a Hill Street in Rhymney which is where I've always assumed he lived. Thomas Street doesn't come up with anything on google but there is a Thomas Fields not far from Hill Street. I'll search the bygone/past and present groups for Rhymney on Facebook and see what I can find about Hill and Thomas Street.
    Checking 1911 on FM P address look up, there is a Thomas Street in Thomas Town Merthyr Tydfil

The Charles Davies 1932 death is on GRO registered Bedwelllty

Vera

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    I have lost the thread where you are at, so many names the same. Can you do a quick summary?
    I'll try but I might also get confused! The Charles and John Rees Davies that Vera mentioned are John Davies and Mary (the 1st wife with likely maiden name Rees) children. Charles lived in 3 Hill Street, Rhymney according to 1901 and 1911. Charles is the only child of John that I'm confident on. The rest are just a minefield. Too many possibilities and same names.
    Still unsure who John Davies's parents are or who Mary 1st wife's parents are. Can't seem to find a marriage record for them. I'm probably gonna buy Johns marriage record to 2nd wife Mary Powell and see who is father is to help confirm or rule out some people, maybe.
    I hope this is what you meant, if not I'm sorry lol, I tried but it's a mess!

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I have lost the thread where you are at, so many names the same. Can you do a quick summary?

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Just need to keep chipping away. Unfortunately if only possibilities certs would need to be purchased to hopefully get some clues. Normaly clues would come from parish records available. Two possibilities for the children so far

Death of Charles Davies b 1865 buried 27 Aug 1932 12 Thomas St, Rhymney
    However Charles lived many years in Hill Street Bedwellty
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​Death of John Rees Davies b 1874 d 1896 Bedwelty.

Vera
    ​​​​
    There is a Hill Street in Rhymney which is where I've always assumed he lived. Thomas Street doesn't come up with anything on google but there is a Thomas Fields not far from Hill Street. I'll search the bygone/past and present groups for Rhymney on Facebook and see what I can find about Hill and Thomas Street.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Just need to keep chipping away. Unfortunately if only possibilities certs would need to be purchased to hopefully get some clues. Normaly clues would come from parish records available. Two possibilities for the children so far

Death of Charles Davies b 1865 buried 27 Aug 1932 12 Thomas St, Rhymney
    However Charles lived many years in Hill Street Bedwellty
    ​​​​​
    ​​​​​Death of John Rees Davies b 1874 d 1896 Bedwelty.

Vera
    ​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Nora
    replied
    I am wondering if they maybe in Welsh, as there seems to be Welsh speakers in the family. Names so common hard to find anything that seems to be them.
    I also wondered this but despite being welsh, I don't speak nor understand it so I'm no help! It's uncommon though for people to speak and understand welsh in the valleys, especially in the areas where it seems Charles lived and where his son lived. I don't know how it used to be though.

The problem is there just too many with the same name and other than the Rhymney or Tredegar locations. I don't for sure where they came from so nothing can be narrowed down. it's hurting my head looking at so many records and getting no where haha.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I am wondering if they maybe in Welsh, as there seems to be Welsh speakers in the family. Names so common hard to find anything that seems to be them.

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    did it give you anything useful? I did look in the welsh newspapers a while back maybe a search with some of the addresses might bring up something
    Find contact information for archives, libraries and other genealogical organizations in Tennessee.

Not read it fully. Looking in the newspapers had forgotten about that. Good way of proving names with addresses/occupations.

Vera

Leave a comment:

Working...
X