Help finding Charles Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding Charles Davies

Hello! I need some help trying to find Charles Davies born 1869 in Tredegar, unsure of his death. I have him in 1901 and 1911. He married Elizabeth Ann West in 1895 (I have the wedding cert). Wedding cert says his father is John Davies and he's a collier. I need help trying to narrow down who his mum was and find them in 1891 and before. There's a few possibilities but I don't know how to confirm any. I try to follow up with possible people but just end up getting lost :( As always any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello Nora

Not familiar with Welsh areas. Looking at GRO there are 2 possible records for Charles

Davies Charles June q 1868 mmn Rees
    Davies Charles Sept q 1868 mmm Dickins

Nothing certain but parking this here as a possibility. Need to check GRO for mmn

Marriage of ? Charles son William 1920 Bedwelty has witnesses named Powell

1881 Merthyr, Glam

Davies John 38 Miner b Rhymney
    Mary 33 b Dowlais
    Thomas 17 Rhymney
    David 15. "
    Charles 13. "
    Jane 9. "
    John 7. "
    Rachel 3. "

Living with them Powell children who are said to be step children but more likely relatives
    David 15
    Mary or Margaret Ann 11

Davies John 29 Miner Glam
    Mary 30 Breck
    Thomas 8 b Merthyr
    David 5 Merthyr
    Charles 3 Bedwellty
    Margaret Ann 1/12 Bedwellty GRO mm Rees

Living Bedwellty

Vera

Comment

Hello. Thank you for replying. I've found all what you found but got confused by the Powells and I assumed that John had remarried because I found Mary Powell on an earlier census married to Robert Powell and all their childrens ages and names matched up but then got lost trying to find a marriage for John to a Powell. I've also searched for a marriage between a Dickins and Davies but can't find any but there are many for Rees and Davies!
      It's the welsh names being so common, it makes things so complicated :(

Thank you for your help though, much appreciated.

Comment

It's the similar names which make it difficult to be sure when checking mother's maiden names against children and for me lack of knowledge of the towns.

I believe the Powell children belong to the sister of John Davies ie Mary Davies who married Robert Powell. I can see them in the 1871 with their parents. Not sure what happened to their parents. In the 1891 Mary Ann Powell is recorded as adopted child with John and Mary Davies

1871 Merthyr Tydfil

Powell Robert 28 Coal Miner ? Methvey, Glam
        Mary ? nee Davies 27 Dowlais
        Elizabeth 8. "
        David 5. "
        Margaret 3 "
        Mary Ann 1. "
        Plus lodger

Living 74 Mary St Upper Merthyr

Vera

Comment

Welsh are so hard with everyone having the same name, and same occupation! i did have a look around, but it was late, looks like Vera is on the trail
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
            Hello Nora

Not familiar with Welsh areas. Looking at GRO there are 2 possible records for Charles

Davies Charles June q 1868 mmn Rees
            Davies Charles Sept q 1868 mmm Dickins

Nothing certain but parking this here as a possibility. Need to check GRO for mmn

Marriage of ? Charles son William 1920 Bedwelty has witnesses named Powell

1881 Merthyr, Glam

Davies John 38 Miner b Rhymney
            Mary 33 b Dowlais
            Thomas 17 Rhymney
            David 15. "
            Charles 13. "
            Jane 9. "
            John 7. "
            Rachel 3. "

Living with them Powell children who are said to be step children but more likely relatives
            David 15
            Mary or Margaret Ann 11

Davies John 29 Miner Glam
            Mary 30 Breck
            Thomas 8 b Merthyr
            David 5 Merthyr
            Charles 3 Bedwellty
            Margaret Ann 1/12 Bedwellty GRO mm Rees

Living Bedwellty

Vera
            I did find these - not found Rachel though, but all names are common so anything could fit! i think a lot more data maybe
            DAVIES, THOMAS JOHN REES
            GRO Reference: 1864 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 95
            DAVIES, DAVID REYNOLD REES
            GRO Reference: 1867 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 114
            DAVIES, CHARLES REES
            GRO Reference: 1868 J Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 116
            DAVIES, JANE REES
            GRO Reference: 1871 J Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 98
            DAVIES, JANE REES
            GRO Reference: 1873 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 99
            DAVIES, JOHN EYTHEN REES
            GRO Reference: 1874 S Quarter in BEDWELLTY Volume 11A Page 126
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thank you. I'll work on the assumption that the John Vera found is correct for now. I've always assumed he was the right one or the most likely anyway. The welsh names are a nightmare. I have some Jones' too and they were so much easier than Davies! Thank you all again

Comment

I will try to add some proof by looking at other records available.

Currently looking at a Charles Davies' Army record which gives limited info but gives an age of 18 years 10 months ie d ob 1866. Could have fibbed of course. Do you know if your Charles was in the Army? No Next OK unfortunately.

Enlisted 10 Feb 1885. Was in the Welsh Borderers, Militia and Monmouthshire Engineers. Discharged 15 May 1995.

Vera

Comment

I will try to add some proof by looking at other records available.

Currently looking at a Charles Davies' Army record which gives limited info but gives an age of 18 years 10 months ie d ob 1866. Could have fibbed of course. Do you know if your Charles was in the Army? No Next OK unfortunately.

Enlisted 10 Feb 1885. Was in the Welsh Borderers, Militia and Monmouthshire Engineers. Discharged 15 May 1995.

Vera
                  I honestly have no idea if Charles was in the army or not. All I have for him is 1901, 1911, wedding cert and his name on 3 of his children's weddings certs. I don't even know when he died. Can't seem to find him in 1939 either, if he was still alive.

Comment

certainly mighty hard.

I did note that the 2 Powell children were born in same place as Rachel Davies, and the wife Mary had changed age, so could be a new wife? could have died at same time as Rachels death, in merthyr. There is a Mary Davies death in 1877
                    DAVIES, RACHEL REES
                    GRO Reference: 1877 S Quarter in SWANSEA Volume 11A Page 635
                    Many Mary Davies deaths

there is a marriage of a May Powell in same quarter, seems a bit quick, but maybe what happened in this times when things were tough on your own.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      certainly mighty hard.

I did note that the 2 Powell children were born in same place as Rachel Davies, and the wife Mary had changed age, so could be a new wife? could have died at same time as Rachels death, in merthyr. There is a Mary Davies death in 1877
                      DAVIES, RACHEL REES
                      Many Mary Davies deaths

there is a marriage of a May Powell in same quarter, seems a bit quick, but maybe what happened in this times when things were tough on your own.
                      I noticed the age too and that's why I assumed he had remarried and because the Powell children are listed as step children. The maiden name being Rees is also confusing because I'm leaning towards John's son Charles's mothers maiden name being Rees. There's also a Charles Davies in 1891 that I think might be mine but it says he's living with his mum and she isn't called Mary. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Comment

This highlights the problems of similar names. Having looked at the Charles in the Army, I think his age fits more with the Charles b 1867 Merthyr Tydfil reg mm n Powell. I think you looked at that one already Nora. However not found a marriage for a John Davies to a Mary Powell. That Army Charles' religion was Wesleyan so possible parents marriage may not be on FMP or Ancestry

The Army records are on Ancestry and FMP. Can link or email if you need.

Possible death for Charles is 1932.

I think one possible scenario for your Charles is that he is the son of John Davies who m Mary Powell whose brother Robert Powell m Mary Davies sister of John Davies.

There are many possibilities as you know just need to follow any possibilities to confirm or eliminate.

Just parked this here as I had it in my head. Will now read previous posts for clues.

Vera

Comment

rees certainly seems to fit with most of the children, Rachel seems to be missing atm, and I am not liking to Swansea one - too far away really.

You could post links/details of the other finds it might help to get a second opinion. I assume you can't see anything to see that the davies-Rees family are in fact yours?

and of course Mary Davies could be the second Mary Davies, but not necessarily anything to do with Powell!
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 17-09-21, 10:39.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

certainly mighty hard.

DAVIES, RACHEL REES
                            Many Mary Davies deaths

You said it Carolyn. Can find children that would fit mm n Rees and Powell

Rachel not too sure. I did find a Rachel Davies b Merthyr m to a William Eames/Emes who was b Islington but can only see a Rachel Davies reg Merthyr 1878 with mm n Davis on GRO. So the Swansea reg could be the Rachel from a second m of John Davies.

John Rees Davies on the 1881 b 1873 may fit in with the second m also.

Vera

Comment

This is the Charles in 1891 that I was leaning towards being mine so I searched for a marriage between Ann Rees (I'm convinced Charles's mum was a Rees) and John Davies and found far to many.

It may not even be him though because the census with the Powells on it makes more sense and the idea of maybe John marrying Mary Powell whose brother Robert married John sister. So confusing but a good theory!

Comment

I have no Welsh expertise, although DHs family are all from there!

There is a john Rees Davies MMN West born 1897 in Merthyr, I assume that is why you are leaning towards Rees?
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I have no Welsh expertise, although DHs family are all from there!

There is a john Rees Davies MMN West born 1897 in Merthyr, I assume that is why you are leaning towards Rees?
                                  Leaning towards Rees because on GRO for Charles Davies born 1869+-2 in Bedwellty. There 2 possibilities, 1 with mmn Rees and 1 with mmn Dickins but I can't find any connection to John Davies, Charles dad, to a Dickins but there's lots for possible marriages to Rees. The Merthyr GRO entry though could also be him with mmn Powell. I based my search on Bedwellty though because he gives that as birthplace in 1901 and 1911 but who knows!

Comment

I can see the 1891 Charles with mother Ann in Tredegar, Could be but note Ann a Widow and Charles didnt record father John as being deceased at time of his marriage to Elizabeth Ann West in 1895 but then that is not always recorded. Not seeing Charles with mother Ann in 1881 but will recheck

Putting up two signatures 1st of Charles marriage, 2nd a Charles Davies from the Army enlistment of 1885. ? same signature. Either way doesnt confirm who his parents are although record does refer to John Davies.

FMP record

British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Image | findmypast.co.uk

Vera

​​​​​​​

Comment

I can see the 1891 Charles with mother Ann in Tredegar, Could be but note Ann a Widow and Charles didnt record father John as being deceased at time of his marriage to Elizabeth Ann West in 1895 but then that is not always recorded. Not seeing Charles with mother Ann in 1881 but will recheck

Putting up two signatures 1st of Charles marriage, 2nd a Charles Davies from the Army enlistment of 1885. ? same signature. Either way doesnt confirm who his parents are although record does refer to John Davies.

FMP record

British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Image | findmypast.co.uk

Vera
                                      I'd never seen that army record before. I think I'd found it on Ancestry but it required a fold3 account to view it and because there's never been any mention of the army before, I foolishly ignored it. The signatures do look very similar and the places match up with the census's.

Your point about Ann being a widow in 1891 is a good one, never thought of that. I think I only assumed it was maybe my Charles because of the Tredegar link. I'm pretty sure now that all the Davies children in 1871 and 1881 were born in Bedwellty, except Rachel. I think she may have been born in Merthyr. I can find them all on the GRO but would need to purchase quite a few to see which ones are the right ones, if they're correct! Still struggling with the Davies, Powell link though and a marriage if at all between John and a possible Mary Rees.

Comment

Lots of possibilities Nora. Still not seeing Ann and Charles from the 1891 in other Census.

Had hoped to find more military records. Unfortunately the last page of the record is faded.

Would cost a fortune to purchase all the bc's and then maybe not able to confirm
                                        EDIT You could purchase just Charles for now.

1868 Jun Q Bedwelty mm n Rees

I will look around for any c!ues. I am trying to find out who the Powell witnesses were at William's wedding. That's the 1920 wedding of Charles and Elizabeth Ann's son. Is that the correct wedding? Thought they may have been related to David Powell from the 1881.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X