X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    I think it's Tregibbon

Vera
    I'm so annoyed that google didn't realise that's what I meant haha. I tried so many different combinations! I think you're right but I'm not sure if it's even them. Or why they'd have gotten married there. Feels like I'm just going around in circles! Even found a marriage for a John Davies to a Mary Griffiths whose father was a Davies, not them though because the jobs don't add up. I hate welsh names! :(

Comment

it seems to be an area here:
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have noticed that you could mine for iron or coal, and all in same areas. almost if a miner could be interchangeable. But I think a Puddler was a more skilled job, after a google around. Not sure what everyone else thinks.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          I have noticed that you could mine for iron or coal, and all in same areas. almost if a miner could be interchangeable. But I think a Puddler was a more skilled job, after a google around. Not sure what everyone else thinks.
          I've tried googling the differences before and I'm still none the wiser! I think you're right though, otherwise they'd have all just said miner on census's etc. I really should know about it though given nearly everyone in my tree was miner of some sort!

Comment

Cant back it up but I seem to remember Puddler being a skilled job, possibly highly but not attached to mining for iron

Vera

Comment

Some links

Ancestry.co.uk - 1841 Wales Census

Ancestry.co.uk - 1841 Wales Census

Ancestry.co.uk - 1851 Wales Census

I tried a different way. Concentrated on the Mary assuming Rees. Looked for Mary b around 1841 from what looks liked Llangynyd, Brecon in the 1871. Couldn't see a Llangynyd only Llangynwyd Glam.

Browsed 1851. Lots of Puddlers and Iron Miners. Not many Rees families and on!y two with a Mary. Loads of marriages on Ancestry.

Just parking this as a possible

1851 Llangynwyd, Glam

Rees, Rees 59 Ag Lab b Carmarthen
              Elizabeth 56 b Llanrid??? Glam
              Thomas 24 Iron Miner b Llangy???? Glam
              Hugh 21 Iron Miner b Llang?? Glam
              Mary 15 b Llang?? G!am
              Margaret 12 b Llang?? Glam

A Rachel aged 17 is a Servant to Farmer Living in same area

Living at haven't a clue

1841 Llangonyd
              Rees, Rees 45+/- Ag lab nbic
              Elizabeth 40 +/- bic
              Elizabeth 9. "
              Rachel 7. "
              Mary 4. "
              Margaret 2. "

In the same area
              Thomas 12 Fs. bic
              Hugh 10. Fs. "

Vera
              Vera

Comment

there is this marriage of a Margaret Rees, father rees rees and it is in John Davies pob, might be a connection

Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Searching GRO for Mary and Margaret with Bridgend as the district because Llangynwyd is within there according to google and Llangynwyd is the closest I can work out from those census's! I found Morgan to be the common name for both if it's correct and then found this marriage, I think it's Rees and Elizabeth:
                  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource
                  Still no idea if these are Marys parents though!

​​​​​​

Comment

there is this marriage of a Margaret Rees, father rees rees and it is in John Davies pob, might be a connection

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ce&pId=1072440
                    I think I traced them up to 1881 and they have a Jennet Jones aged 70 living with listed as mother in law. Could still be a link but I haven't worked it out yet, it was only a quick search lol

Comment

Now having a look at John Davies b Gelligaer. Surprise, surprise there is more than one.

Gelligaer is about 30 miles from Llangynwyd.

Just noticed, when wandering off, that Mary Davies previously Powell is recorded in the 1871 as born Methvey, Carmarthenshire. So could be mother of Mgt Telfer in the ?1911 That Elaine/Carolyn found.

The 1881 was a bit.of a challenge. It records Mary Davies previously Powell as b Dowlais as well as her children. Margaret Powells dob was incorrect also should have been. 1868.

Vera

Comment

Now having a look at John Davies b Gelligaer. Surprise, surprise there is more than one.

Gelligaer is about 30 miles from Llangynwyd.

Just noticed, when wandering off, that Mary Davies previously Powell is recorded in the 1871 as born Methvey, Carmarthenshire. So could be mother of Mgt Telfer in the ?1911 That Elaine/Carolyn found.

The 1881 was a bit.of a challenge. It records Mary Davies previously Powell as b Dowlais as well as her children. Margaret Powells dob was incorrect also should have been. 1868.

Vera
                        There's a lot of trees that have Margaret Powell, daughter of John and second wife Mary Powell, marrying Thomas Telfer so I assume that 1911 census is correct.
                        On the 1871 census for Mary Powell her place of birth looks like Merthyr, Carmarthenshire but has been transcribed as Methvay. There is a small parish village called Merthyr in Carmarthenshire because I couldn't find any such place called Methvay.

Comment

I would go for Mothvey https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Mothvey
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

there is this tree on Ancestry, https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...34951093/facts, have you contacted him? He looks like he has done a lot of research, but not put it on ancestry
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

there is this tree on Ancestry, https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...34951093/facts, have you contacted him? He looks like he has done a lot of research, but not put it on ancestry
                              Yes, this is the first guy I messaged haha. Asking about how he knows John's first wife was Mary Griffiths and he explained he didn't know and it's very possible it's wrong. We're linked through DNA, he's a half distant cousin because he's an ancestor of Rachel Davies. Maybe John did marry a Griffiths, who knows. I can't find possible births though for all the children with Griffiths as MMN. It would help to know who first used Griffiths as the name because the others must've just copied the trees.

Comment

That makes a lot more sense.Thank you!

Comment

he has POB as Mothvey / Myddfai

ukbmd says https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/llandovery.html llandovery

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-09-21, 21:56.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Vera
                                    Correction

The Mary Davies b Carmarthenshire was in the 1901 with Rachel Eames and family in Aberdare. She was recorded as Boarder aged 58. Sadly also Mary was blind.

Ancestry.co.uk - 1901 Wales Census
                                    1901 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Possible burial record for Mary Davies in 1902. Buried Dowlais 25th October aged 58. Abode Aberdare.

Glamorganshire, Wales, Anglican Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1570-1994 - Ancestry.co.uk

Vera

Comment

Correction

The Mary Davies b Carmarthenshire was in the 1901 with Rachel Eames and family in Aberdare. She was recorded as Boarder aged 58. Sadly also Mary was blind.

Ancestry.co.uk - 1901 Wales Census
                                      1901 Wales Census - Ancestry.co.uk

Possible burial record for Mary Davies in 1902. Buried Dowlais 25th October aged 58. Abode Aberdare.

Glamorganshire, Wales, Anglican Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1570-1994 - Ancestry.co.uk

Vera
                                      that was the one that only spoke Welsh.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

CharlesDavies1868BirthCert.pngThis is the Charles Davies birth cert that I ordered from GRO. Still unsure if it's him but can only assume it is? It at least confirms that his mother was called Mary. Can't make out the word above Bedwellty though.

Comment

It's similar to the address on the 1871.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X