Help finding Charles Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Lots of possibilities Nora. Still not seeing Ann and Charles from the 1891 in other Census.

Had hoped to find more military records. Unfortunately the last page of the record is faded.

Would cost a fortune to purchase all the bc's and then maybe not able to confirm
    EDIT You could purchase just Charles for now.

1868 Jun Q Bedwelty mm n Rees

I will look around for any c!ues. I am trying to find out who the Powell witnesses were at William's wedding. That's the 1920 wedding of Charles and Elizabeth Ann's son. Is that the correct wedding? Thought they may have been related to David Powell from the 1881.

Vera
    Will definitely buy the Charles Davies cert. I couldn't find Ann and Charles from 1891 on other census's either so wont rule it out just yet.

Yes the wedding of William is correct. There's also a lot of other children for Charles and Elizabeth Ann but they died young or as babies. The names of them are the same as possible siblings for Charles. Eg there's a John Rees, Thomas, David. Might mean nothing because the names are common but then again they did like to use family names in them days so who knows!

Comment

there is this tree on Ancestry, not really seeing how they have come up with griffiths, but interesting to see they have an exact dob and death, wonder if they have the certs
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

...who is William? I have got lost!
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

have you seen this certs

bit further down the line with child of Thomas
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            Hello Carolyn. William is the son of Charles Davies b 1868 Bedwellty. Charles Davies married Elizabeth Ann West in 1895.

William Davies b 1897 married Annie James in 1920 at Bedwellty. Witnesses M Powell and ? Powell

Vera

Comment

Vera beat me to it and explained!

Comment

I've sent the owner of this tree asking how he knows Mary Griffiths is the mother of Charles Davies. I'm also linked to him through DNA so I'm guessing his tree is right in part, just need to see how he came to the conclusions he has!

Comment

Originally posted by Nora View Post

I've sent the owner of this tree asking how he knows Mary Griffiths is the mother of Charles Davies. I'm also linked to him through DNA so I'm guessing his tree is right in part, just need to see how he came to the conclusions he has!
                  The 1963 m of John Davies to Mary Griffiths in the tree gives John's occupation as Puddler.1861 has a John Davies b Gellygaer as an Iron Miner.

So Nora your theory and Carolyns is correct. John Davies m twice, first to a Mary ?? maiden name, the mother of Charles b 1868 and others. That Mary died ? around 1877. Then to another Mary nee Davies, the Widow of Rbt Powell who is with John Davies and her children with Rbt in the 1881 as well as Rachel Davies b 1878.

Vera

Comment

The 1963 m of John Davies to Mary Griffiths in the tree gives John's occupation as Puddler.1861 has a John Davies b Gellygaer as an Iron Miner.

So Nora your theory and Carolyns is correct. John Davies m twice, first to a Mary ?? maiden name, the mother of Charles b 1868 and others. That Mary died ? around 1877. Then to another Mary nee Davies, the Widow of Rbt Powell who is with John Davies and her children with Rbt in the 1881 as well as Rachel Davies b 1878.

Vera
                    Yep, think this is defo what happened. The owner of that tree confirmed he isn't convinced of the Mary Griffiths 1st wife either but I think the rest of it is probably correct. It's given me a lot to work with and I'm still pretty sure that Charles' mum was a Rees so just need to find the marriage and knowing more about John might narrow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Nora View Post

Yep, think this is defo what happened. The owner of that tree confirmed he isn't convinced of the Mary Griffiths 1st wife either but I think the rest of it is probably correct. It's given me a lot to work with and I'm still pretty sure that Charles' mum was a Rees so just need to find the marriage and knowing more about John might narrow it down.
                      did he have any certs? I am sure someone has got Rachels, but not put them or the tree up, and then everyone else has taken their word for it. Mary griffiths husband was a puddler, which is in the iron industry I think. and Griffiths not matching with MMN either. Good that they replied quickly. There are a few with similar tree.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Looking brief!y at John b 1841 +/- last night. There is one with mother Ann who changes occupations between Puddler, Iron Miner and Collier. However, there is more than one John Davies b in Gelligaer at the same time.

Vera

Comment

I have been pondering over the family every night trying to find a connection somewhere to help, the one thing bugging me was an Edwin J. Davies in 1901 with the Eames family. I found a marriage a few nights ago for a Margaret Powell marrying Thomas Telfer searching for a Robert Powell father

It was the birthplace that kept putting me off for Margaret but just noticed one of the trees has reference to Edwin/Edward as Ted Telfer...I had been thinking he might be the same chap who is with Margaret Telfer as nephew 1911 as birthplace is Ynysybwl on both census returns; I hadn't looked at trees up to now so wanted to mention it in case it helps in the search.
                          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                            I have been pondering over the family every night trying to find a connection somewhere to help, the one thing bugging me was an Edwin J. Davies in 1901 with the Eames family. I found a marriage a few nights ago for a Margaret Powell marrying Thomas Telfer searching for a Robert Powell father

It was the birthplace that kept putting me off for Margaret but just noticed one of the trees has reference to Edwin/Edward as Ted Telfer...I had been thinking he might be the same chap who is with Margaret Telfer as nephew 1911 as birthplace is Ynysybwl on both census returns; I hadn't looked at trees up to now so wanted to mention it in case it helps in the search.
                            I see that there is also Mary Davies with them, and she only speaks welsh

Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

I know! Would be different and be Carmarthen just to confuse it all.
                              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Edwin J Davies is mentioned in some of the trees as a child of Rachel Davies and they have his birth cert. No father is named. He is the great grandfather of the man who has Mary griffiths in his tree.
                                I've came across the 1901 census but haven't tried piecing it all together yet. Everyone that has John Davies marrying a Mary and then Mary Powell, I'm linked to them all through DNA. I've sent many messages asking for how they came to their conclusions etc and only 1 reply so far so still a lot to do!

Comment

did he have any certs? I am sure someone has got Rachels, but not put them or the tree up, and then everyone else has taken their word for it. Mary griffiths husband was a puddler, which is in the iron industry I think. and Griffiths not matching with MMN either. Good that they replied quickly. There are a few with similar tree.
                                  No one has mentioned the certs yet. Still waiting for replies though. I hate it when people don't put a source for the information :(

Comment

I tried a different way. Concentrated on the Mary assuming Rees. Looked for Mary b around 1841 from what looks liked Llangynyd, Brecon in the 1871. Couldn't see a Llangynyd only Llangynwyd Glam.

Browsed 1851. Lots of Puddlers and Iron Miners. Not many Rees families and on!y two with a Mary. Loads of marriages on Ancestry.

Just parking this as a possible

1851 Llangynwyd, Glam

Rees, Rees 59 Ag Lab b Carmarthen
                                    Elizabeth 56 b Llanrid??? Glam
                                    Thomas 24 Iron Miner b Llangy???? Glam
                                    Hugh 21 Iron Miner b Llang?? Glam
                                    Mary 15 b Llang?? G!am
                                    Margaret 12 b Llang?? Glam

A Rachel aged 17 is a Servant to Farmer Living in same area

Living at haven't a clue

1841 Llangonyd
                                    Rees, Rees 45+/- Ag lab nbic
                                    Elizabeth 40 +/- bic
                                    Elizabeth 9. "
                                    Rachel 7. "
                                    Mary 4. "
                                    Margaret 2. "

In the same area
                                    Thomas 12 Fs. bic
                                    Hugh 10. Fs. "

Vera

Comment

I tried a different way. Concentrated on the Mary assuming Rees. Looked for Mary b around 1841 from what looks liked Llangynyd, Brecon in the 1871. Couldn't see a Llangynyd only Llangynwyd Glam.

Browsed 1851. Lots of Puddlers and Iron Miners. Not many Rees families and on!y two with a Mary. Loads of marriages on Ancestry.

1851 Llangynwyd, Glam

Mary 15 b Llang?? G!am

Living at haven't a clue

1841 Llangonyd
                                      Elizabeth 40 +/- bic
                                      Elizabeth 9. "
                                      Rachel 7. "
                                      Mary 4. "
                                      Margaret 2. "

In the same area
                                      Thomas 12 Fs. bic
                                      Hugh 10. Fs. "

Vera
                                      Not got any thoughts on it yet, will maybe look at map...

1851 findmypast has attempted at Llandilo for Rees birth town
                                      and living at Llest Nanty Raval, Langonoyd Higher, Neath, Glamorganshire, Wales

Birth towns it has:
                                      Elizabeth Llanrithan
                                      Thomas Llangyfelach
                                      the other 2 children birth town is where they are living
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

1851 Llangynwyd, Glam

Mary 15 b Llang?? G!am

Living at haven't a clue

1841 Llangonyd
                                        Elizabeth 40 +/- bic
                                        Elizabeth 9. "
                                        Rachel 7. "
                                        Mary 4. "
                                        Margaret 2. "

In the same area
                                        Thomas 12 Fs. bic
                                        Hugh 10. Fs. "

Vera
                                        I spent a long time yesterday googling the town Mary was supposedly born in according to the 1871 census because I was confused why it says Brecknock when the only Llangynyd I could find was in Glam. So that's another mystery. I found this marriage for John and Mary:
                                        ​​​​​​https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource
                                        but couldn't make out where John was from, the word makes no sense to me. I don't know though. I'll look in to the Mary you've found and see where it leads, thank you!

Comment

Will put up some Links

think it's Tregibbon. Can see also Tre-Gibbon

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                          X