What became of Eva Claxton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post

Thank you for looking, Christine. Unfortunately, I think that is a completely different family, with no connections with East Yorkshire. I looked at the tree of Eva Boardman Claxman and noted that she attended Cheltenham Ladies College - my gang were lucky if they managed to attend the local village school once state education had become compulsory !!
    Yes, as per my post, I knew she wasn’t yours.
    I only posted in case the index only record that cbcarolyn had found on FMP might be the same one for which I had found an image on Ancestry and which was NOT your Eva. Having discounted it, I didn’t make notes, but IIRC it was an application to enter Brazil in the 1950s in which the applicant (Bergeron) had to give the names of his parents, namely Henri Bergeron and Eva Claxton Boardman who are obviously nothing to do with your elusive Eva.

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Clutching at straws. On FM P There is a National Burial Index record for a Claxton, no first name, gender or dob buried 22 January 1891 at New Linthorpe Cemetery, Middlesbrough.

Can't even eliminate it via GRO

Middlesbrough will do a search of cemetery records, free if it's a quick one.

Cant see a death in Middlesborough, Redcar, Stockton or Darlington local registers. Hartlepool not online at present.

Vera

Comment

Vera, thank you for your sterling efforts on my behalf. There was also a duplicate entry on the NBI, which added that that record was for a stillborn child. I did wonder if the two entries were for a woman who died in childbirth and also her stillborn child. Then I revisited the NBI and discovered a third entry, confirming the stillbirth and adding the name of the child's mother as "Mrs". However, I am unable to replicate this second search and retrieve the third entry.
        As all 2/3 records referred to a stillbirth, then this might explain why no forename was recorded and also WHY there is, apparently, no birth registration in the Middlesbrough reg dist. I realise that the death could have been registered in another district and the body brought to Linthorpe for burial, but if that had been the case, I would have thought a name would have been entered on the cemetery records.
        So an interesting conundrum, but nothing to help pinpoint my missing Eva, unfortunately. (Unless I'm losing the plot completely.)
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Well at least it's good to eliminate. Not forgetting I refer to a stillborn child.

Can't even see an EC in an institution.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
            Vera, thank you for your sterling efforts on my behalf. There was also a duplicate entry on the NBI, which added that that record was for a stillborn child. I did wonder if the two entries were for a woman who died in childbirth and also her stillborn child. Then I revisited the NBI and discovered a third entry, confirming the stillbirth and adding the name of the child's mother as "Mrs". However, I am unable to replicate this second search and retrieve the third entry.
            As all 2/3 records referred to a stillbirth, then this might explain why no forename was recorded and also WHY there is, apparently, no birth registration in the Middlesbrough reg dist. I realise that the death could have been registered in another district and the body brought to Linthorpe for burial, but if that had been the case, I would have thought a name would have been entered on the cemetery records.
            So an interesting conundrum, but nothing to help pinpoint my missing Eva, unfortunately. (Unless I'm losing the plot completely.)
            This should have said death registration.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

If she did go to Cheltenham, she could have been lucky and met up with someone that encouraged her to travel, or even the family she worked for. So annoying that she is hiding.
              I was thinking the same thing Carolyn. Wondered if she accompanied Emily Louise Armitage to India. Emily Louise married in Madras in 1884.

Wonder if Samuel Claxton was in India around that time? Will check.

Vera
              ​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

I was thinking the same thing Carolyn. Wondered if she accompanied Emily Louise Armitage to India. Emily Louise married in Madras in 1884.

Wonder if Samuel Claxton was in India around that time? Will check.

Vera
                ​​​​​
                Do you mean Eva's brother Samuel? He served with the mounted military police for 21 years - he was in South Africa during the Boer war, but as far as I know he didn't serve in India. He seems to have spent a good part of his time at Army training camps, Aldershot and also the Curragh camp in Ireland.

Jay

Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Yes Jay. If I have the correct record he was in 8th Hussars 1886 and 16th Lancers 1888 before MP 1890. Believe he spent time in India ?? with MP EDIT that was just on a pre printed form. Home and Sth Africa only. Interestingly he signed on at Camberley where Emily Louise Richardson lived in 1891 with Arthur who was an Army Captain. Not sure if there is anything in that.

Vera

Comment

Very interesting, Vera, n​ice one! Thank you. I'd better go and do a bit more digging about his earlier career

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just had a look through his "military file" in my PC notes and see I have him joining the 8th Hussars at Beverley on 16 Jan 1888 and then being transferred to the 16th Lancers 29 June 1888, was made up to L/cpl and then cpl. He was transferred to the MMP on 2 May1890. His military history sheet says home service apart from his stint in South Africa. Am I missing some information, perhaps?? I only have access to ordinary rate membership of FMP.

Ah! Have just found a report of his death which states he had been in India for some years.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I think the Beverley record is where he had his medical. On further check of where he attested it looks more like Canterbury. That was probably my wishful thinking for Camberley.

Do you have Service and Penson records which I am not interpreting very well? Can forward them if not

Vera

Comment

I did start looking at Samuel - I am assuming that this is the right Samuel, the newspaper made no mention of any sibling, which is a shame
                          samuel claxton.JPG

samuel claxton 2.JPG
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 14-09-21, 23:08.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I think the Beverley record is where he had his medical. On further check of where he attested it looks more like Canterbury. That was probably my wishful thinking for Camberley.

Do you have Service and Penson records which I am not interpreting very well? Can forward them if not

Vera
                            Vera, I have his British army service record from FMP - 9 sheets in total, assembled mainly for his discharge I would think. Do you have more from another collection?
                            Need to go out now - have to drive to town for the hair dressers and a couple of chores whilst I am there.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have the same as you Jay. 9 Page Service Doc. Also have Pensioner discharge record. Two page doc. Examined 4 Jan 1904 by Chelsea Board.

Interesting doc. His intended place of residence at the time was No 2 Knitting School, Bridlington which I believe not for the teaching of knitting. Possibly a Caretaker at the new establishment.

I do have some ponderings re Samuel. What was he doing in Cambs/Suffolk to meet Mary Elizabeth Iverson and her possible earlier marriage?

​​​​​​Hope you enjoy your trip out and the hair cut.

Carolyn. That was an interesting article especially the inquest finding of syncope as cause of death.

Vera

Comment

Vera, the Bridlington knitting school was an old building near where Samuel's mother lived. It had been used as a small endowed school to teach knitting to poor children, but was closed down once national primary education was instituted by the 1870 education act. (Dr Webster, if your looking down on us, I hope you're impressed that a former pupil of BHS remembers both your name and also bits from some of the annual lectures you presented!)
                                You've got me going now re a former possible marriage for Miss Iverson! I think that there were two Mary Elizabeth Iversons born in the 1860's in Swaffham Prior and that the girls' fathers were brothers, making the two girls cousins. The younger one married first in the 1880's although the marriage transcript doesn't include forename of the bride's father. The 1892 one does, William, father of the elder Mary Eliz. I've seen transcripts for both the marriage & banns of this Claxton/Iverson match and on each record the bride declared that she was single.
                                Samuel gave the forename of his father as Harrison, although his mother's husband was named George Claxton. George's death was registered in Q1 1866 (buried January 1866) and Samuel's birth was registered in Q1 1868! Harrison was the maiden name of Samuel's mother Hannah and he also had an elder brother named Harrison Claxton. This Claxton family didn't bother with baptisms, but when Samuel's birth was registered, he was given the middle name Best - however, I've never come across a particular Mr Best to point the finger at.

Carolyn, thankyou for the newspaper reports - I have a transcript of a third, which combines details of Samuel's last 24 hours with a report of the inquest and a mention of the funeral. This mentioned service in India and and also South Africa.

Vera I don't know how Samuel and Mary met - as the MMP was a corps, rather than a regiment, I think small groups of them would have been assigned to all army barracks, camps etc to keep all personnel in order, including preventing the local civilians from entering a military site. I had just assumed that there would be a Cambridgeshire or Suffolk regiment with a base somewhere in the area. However, I have never managed to pinpoint Mary Elizabeth in 1891 census, so don't know wherabouts she was just prior to her marriage.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay I read up on the school. Missed the bit were they were actually taught knitting. You would think the title would have given me a clue.

My head was in a spin with the Mary Elizabeth Iverson m 1892 and another who married a chap called Hart 1885. If I recall the latter wife d and chap Hart living with Sabrina/Sabina

Went of on a tangent with Samuel to hopefully find the elusive Eva perhaps in Suffolk

Vera

Comment

Jay I read up on the school. Missed the bit were they were actually taught knitting. You would think the title would have given me a clue.

My head was in a spin with the Mary Elizabeth Iverson m 1892 and another who married a chap called Hart 1885. If I recall the latter wife d and chap Hart living with Sabrina/Sabina

Went of on a tangent with Samuel to hopefully find the elusive Eva perhaps in Suffolk

Vera
                                    Vera, go off on as many tangents as you like, as "normal, logical" thinking doesn't seem to have had any results in the search for Eva Seriously, though, I really do appreciate all the time and trouble you have put into this mystery. I am out of ideas as to where to try next. Still, it's always good to review what one has on file and lovely to have an opportunity to ask fresh eyes to review a mystery.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet in Yorkshire I assume the transcript didn't go into who attended the funeral?
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

No it didn't, Caroline .
                                        Thank you for your continued interest in this thread. I am about Claxtoned out Am gradually going through my notes and seeing if there is any new material to add to any of the family members. They were quite good at breeding, so it is something of a marathon task.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X