What became of Eva Claxton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What became of Eva Claxton?

Eva Claxton was born at Bridlington, East Yorkshire, in 1858, daughter of George Claxton and his wife Hannah, nee Harrison. In 1861 she was recorded in the family home at Bridlington, aged 3.
    In 1871 she was recorded in the neighbouring village of Carnaby - she was 13 years old, living at a farm, where she was employed as a domestic servant.
    I can't find her in later census returns and haven't found either a corresponding marriage or death record.

In 1881 there was an Eva Claxton in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, born Rillington Yorkshire in 1859, employed as a sewing maid in the household of the vicar of St John, Cheltenham. I don't think Eva (born Bridlington) would have acquired the necessary skills to become a sewing maid, but I can't find out the origins of this Eva, or what became of her. (I'd like to eliminate this second Eva from my search.)

Can anyone help with either girl, please?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Can't find the Rillington Eva Claxton b 1859. Not registered for Malton. Checked Census, BMD Immigration. The Armitages seemed to favour Yorkshire born Domestic staff. 1901 has staff b Billington, Yorks ? Rillington.
    Mary Ann Wright their Cook for many years was also b Yorks.

Will look closer at Eva b 1858 Bridlington Reg

Vera

Comment

Thanks, Vera.
      Rillington, Billington, Bridlington could all sound very similar when out of county.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There is a tree on MyHeritage which has the Bridlington Eva. If you like I can contact the tree manager, Brenda, on your behalf. She may know more and she might be a relative of yours. Of course you may already know of her.

She has:
        Family members
        Parents George Claxton
        1826 - 1866
        Hannah Claxton (born Harrison)
        1829 - ?
        Siblings Frances Claxton
        1857 - 1877
        Emily Banks (born Claxton)
        1861 - ?
        Fred Claxton
        1864 - ?
        Ada Calver (born Claxton)
        1859 - 1941
        Harrison Claxton
        1862 - ?
        Samuel Best Claxton
        1868 - ?
        People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
        Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Can't see a trace of her, did start looking at Claxton MMN of children - but not finding anything in Bridlington, unless she started using a different first name. found Emily which I think was her sister. I assume you have found all the siblings from start to finish? Did they all stay in Bridlington? what were the married names of the sisters?

there is an Eva Claxton in the index of passport applications on FMP
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 10-09-21, 00:03.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Free BMD has record of only one birth registered in name of Eva Claxton 1855-1860, your girl in Bridlington. This suggests that the Eva Claxton in Cheltenham in 1881 could well be yours.

Comment

webwiz and @cbcarolyn - thank you both. I have full details of all the siblings of Bridlington Eva and of their children. Her two surviving sisters became Mrs Calver and Mrs Banks, as in #4. webwiz I think I have probably communicated with Brenda some years ago and shared information.
              @brentnor boy - that was my thinking, but I was hoping perhaps some else might be able to spot something conclusive to negate or confirm my theory!

If the Bridlington Eva managed to escape from the physically hard drudgery of domestic service on a working. E Yorks farm (with several ag labs living in) and to have an easier life as a sewing maid, I'm really pleased for her. The only slight reservation I have is that (according to census) the vicar of Cheltenham originated in Thirsk - this is in the part of North Yorkshire where there was a parallel extended Claxton family, slightly connected with my Claxtons about four generations previously! I can't link the village of Rillington with either extended family. However, both lots were mainly associated with farming and working on the land, so some of them moved villages (and tied cottages) from time to time. Rillington is on the periphery of the boundary between the two different extended families, so a child born at Rillington could have belonged to either set.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

in case you didn't have the address 1861 - Bonkhill Lane -
                Eva Claxton was a woman born in 1858 in Bridlington Yorkshire. During the 1861 UK Census she was 3 years old and lived in Yorkshire - East Riding. She appears as the daughter of her house in the 1861 UK Census.
                LAST NAME: Claxton
                FIRST NAME: Eva
                MIDDLE NAME:
                BIRTH YEAR: 1858
                BIRTH PLACE: Bridlington Yorkshire
                COUNTY: Yorkshire - East Riding
                RESIDENCE: 3, Bonkhill Lane, Yorkshire - East Riding
                HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS: George Claxton (35, Male)
                Hannah Claxton (32, Female)
                Francis Claxton (4, Female)
                Eva Claxton (3, Female)
                Ada Claxton (1, Female)
                Emily Claxton (2m, Female)
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thank you garstonite - I remember you from GR days
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    Can't see a trace of her, did start looking at Claxton MMN of children - but not finding anything in Bridlington, unless she started using a different first name. found Emily which I think was her sister. I assume you have found all the siblings from start to finish? Did they all stay in Bridlington? what were the married names of the sisters?

Thank you Carolyn. This was a record set I hadn't looked at. Unfortunately I couldn't find a corresponding passenger list record - only records for "Mrs" E Claxtons. I'm unsure as to when one needed a passport at that time i.e was one needed for a trip to Europe (France, Germany etc), or only if one was venturing further afield??
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post

Thank you Carolyn. This was a record set I hadn't looked at. Unfortunately I couldn't find a corresponding passenger list record - only records for "Mrs" E Claxtons. I'm unsure as to when one needed a passport at that time i.e was one needed for a trip to Europe (France, Germany etc), or only if one was venturing further afield??
                      I had a wander around, I don’t have any knowledge on it either, it seems to be just an index. The archives seem to be saying a lot of records are not around, and are patchy. Did try a search on there.

did try trove a couple of Eva Claxton mentions, but no clues who they are. If she did go to Cheltenham, she could have been lucky and met up with someone that encouraged her to travel, or even the family she worked for. So annoying that she is hiding.
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Just did a google around, and was funny I find this link http://www.gautier.me.uk/webtrees/in...ed=gautier.ged
                        and this is the tree of an ancestor my Nans sister who moved to Bridlington . I think they are another set of Claxtons!

I did have a look through the papers, there are various family announcements that I guess you have like George and Hannah marriage, Frances death, and I think Fred getting into trouble and George death.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Not sure what you found on FMP - it might be a different record from one I found on Ancestry and therefore worth investigating further.
                          I can’t remember all the details now as I discounted her - she is not the 1881 Eva(s) you are trying to track. She was an Eva Boardman Claxton who was born and raised in Cheshire and married a Henri Bergeron in Birkenhead. The record I found was a Brazil visa/permit for her son, where both his parents are named. Can’t remember his first name but he was an engineer travelling to Brazil.

Christine

Researching:
                          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I don't think record even had middle initial. That sorts that one.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Just did a google around, and was funny I find this link http://www.gautier.me.uk/webtrees/in...ed=gautier.ged
                              and this is the tree of an ancestor my Nans sister who moved to Bridlington . I think they are another set of Claxtons!

I did have a look through the papers, there are various family announcements that I guess you have like George and Hannah marriage, Frances death, and I think Fred getting into trouble and George death.
                              Same extended family - Harry Claxton of that tree and my missing Eva were cousins; Eva was the daughter of George Claxton and his wife Hannah, Harry was a son of George's younger brother Henry and his wife Mary. The Claxtons were of good breeding stock and were quite a prolific family! Seems almost every Claxton born and bred in East Yorkshire after 1812 and before WW1 can be linked to the same family. It has been great fun over the years finding out all about them, and in pre-internet days, very exciting, when I managed to link two of them together. My great-great grandfather was the eldest sibling of George and Henry and he and his wife had sixteen children, although not all survived infancy.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post

Same extended family - Harry Claxton of that tree and my missing Eva were cousins; Eva was the daughter of George Claxton and his wife Hannah, Harry was a son of George's younger brother Henry and his wife Mary. The Claxtons were of good breeding stock and were quite a prolific family! Seems almost every Claxton born and bred in East Yorkshire after 1812 and before WW1 can be linked to the same family. It has been great fun over the years finding out all about them, and in pre-internet days, very exciting, when I managed to link two of them together. My great-great grandfather was the eldest sibling of George and Henry and he and his wife had sixteen children, although not all survived infancy.
                                I didn’t look at his tree to see where the claxtons came in the tree, I am guessing it is a child of Clara lugg, as neither she nor her husband were from Bridlington, they moved up there from London. You can find the gautiers all over the papers as they did swimming.

the passport on fmp is in 1891, no other details.

eva boardman claxton is in the papers as she went to Cheltenham ladies college, and passed in 1900.
                                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-09-21, 09:53.
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

Not sure what you found on FMP - it might be a different record from one I found on Ancestry and therefore worth investigating further.
                                  I can’t remember all the details now as I discounted her - she is not the 1881 Eva(s) you are trying to track. She was an Eva Boardman Claxton who was born and raised in Cheshire and married a Henri Bergeron in Birkenhead. The record I found was a Brazil visa/permit for her son, where both his parents are named. Can’t remember his first name but he was an engineer travelling to Brazil.

Christine
                                  Thank you for looking, Christine. Unfortunately, I think that is a completely different family, with no connections with East Yorkshire. I looked at the tree of Eva Boardman Claxman and noted that she attended Cheltenham Ladies College - my gang were lucky if they managed to attend the local village school once state education had become compulsory !!
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

Christine
                                    The fmp record was 1891, was this the one in ancestry?
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

First name(s) Eva
                                      Last name Claxton
                                      Application year 1891
                                      Piece description Index to names of Passport holders.
                                      Dates 1889 Jan 1-1892 July 30
                                      Archive reference FO 611/16
                                      Series description Foreign Office: Chief Clerk's Department and Passport Office: Passport Registers Indexes of Names.
                                      Series FO 611
                                      Archive The National Archives
                                      Record set Index To Register Of Passport Applications 1851-1903
                                      Category Travel & migration
                                      Subcategory Travel
                                      Collections from England, Great Britain

although on next line looks like William claxton, so I think another eva
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-09-21, 10:19.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

First name(s) Eva
                                        Last name Claxton
                                        Application year 1891
                                        Piece description Index to names of Passport holders.
                                        Dates 1889 Jan 1-1892 July 30
                                        Archive reference FO 611/16
                                        Series description Foreign Office: Chief Clerk's Department and Passport Office: Passport Registers Indexes of Names.
                                        Series FO 611
                                        Archive The National Archives
                                        Record set Index To Register Of Passport Applications 1851-1903
                                        Category Travel & migration
                                        Subcategory Travel
                                        Collections from England, Great Britain

although on next line looks like William claxton, so I think another eva
                                        That would "fit" with the MRS E Claxton I found on the passenger list. Interesting if they both applied for separate passports, or perhaps it was a joint passport application and both parties had to be listed??
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X