Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Grandmother in 1911

Any ideas welcome

Have tried so many times to find her in 1911.

Susan Janover born 14 May 1901 in Hackney

Birth Cert says ,

Father Emanuel Janover, a Journeyman Bootmaker.
    Mother Lydia Guttentag formerly (Rose) the surname her family used.

But I dont think they married, have never confirmed who he was.

1911 Mother Lydia Rose ,is living by herself, in Devonshire Street Mile End , says single.

Are you sure that she was alive in 1911??

Have you tried looking for her by initials only?

Have you found father Emanuel in 1911?
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

In 1911, from FS (and haven't located on Ancestry), Emmanuel Janover, Westminster, age 35. Someone will need to follow to FMP to see his occupation - not good, the record seems to indicate kids were born in Russia (Russian Resident).
      Found it on Ancestry - someone had to do a lot of tweaking of what was originally written.
      Emanuel Janover
      Male
      Saint Anne's Church, Westminster, London, England, United Kingdom
      St Anne Within The Liberty Of Westminster, , London, England
      St James And St Anne
      Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

But she doesn't appear in the household that FS lists

Take it back - FS says he's a Ladies' Tailor

Comment

Ancestry 1911: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...1eedf50abc2c10

not much help though, says they have been married 8 years, so possibly Susan was born from an extramarital affair?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have found a Susan Smith staying with another family, though nothing to point to it being your Susan, just the name and POB

1911: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...8fec5371d745bf
          Julie

Comment

Could she have been staying with Grandparents?
            Julie

Comment

Not found her yet. Tried *san* *nov* but no joy. Also tried *san* Rose (and variants) plus *Gut* Still nothing.
              Changed the part if forename to *zan* got me a lot more foreign born residents but still nothing that fits.

Comment

do you know if she continued to use Janover? or resorted to one of her mothers names?

what was the address of her birth, just wondering if could be using a more specific PoB
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help

Julie that Susan says feeble minded from birth, so not her.

Did try initials only

She married under the name Janover

She is not with her grandparents, have managed to follow most of the family, right through.

Birth address is 5 Avenue Road Lower Clapton, which is where her Mother Lydia is living in 1901 with her Sister Cordelia's family.

I did wonder if the Father had her but not found anything.

I was told Lydia was supposed to get married to him, but he failed to turn up.

Comment

Dont beat me up but ,I have just gone back over the census records ,for her grandparents in 1911.
                    They do have a Granddaughter with them ,called Nellie Rose aged 9 born Hackney, I always associated her with one of their sons, but do you think that could be her???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      Dont beat me up but ,I have just gone back over the census records ,for her grandparents in 1911.
                      They do have a Granddaughter with them ,called Nellie Rose aged 9 born Hackney, I always associated her with one of their sons, but do you think that could be her???
                      A fair chance it could be her Val.

Comment

Talk about a change of name ,she was called Susan Janover, later in life she called herself Sadie, and now if its her Nellie Rose??? I'm not happy with my Guttentags.

Comment

I've had a look on the GRO birth index - no Nellie or derivatives Rose born Hackney 1900 +/- 2.
                          I found a Helen Mary Rose birth reg Hackney in 1899, but that girl was with her parents in both 1901 and 1911.

So, unless someone can find additional evidence of the birth of the Nellie Rose (with the grandparents in 1911,) I think you could be onto a winner, Val
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks so much for looking, wish I had thought of that years ago.

Comment

don't worry about it Val, sometimes we miss things that are in plain sight.. it's good to bat ideas about though!
                              Julie

Comment

Val, I'm continually looking for things I shelved over 30 years ago!
                                1) there's a much wider range of stuff online these days
                                2) I now know much more about how and where to research and to cross check than I did when I began my journey all those years ago
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Julie I feel such a fool, Janet I used to make lots of mistakes when I first started, including getting the same cert twice a few times.
                                  You are right ,there is so much more online these days.

Comment

Working...
                                  X