fold3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fold3

Does anybody currently have a sub to this?

I’d be grateful to find out which WW1 regiment / service a man’s 2nd service number refers to. It’s the only reference I’ve found anywhere that he had two numbers. As the first number refers to a service record 1918-1919 in the Royal Naval Light Infantry:Chatham:Short Service, the 2nd number must apply to somewhere 1914-1918?

UK, World War I Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923 and the entry is for DUNCAN, William Ch/3114, 552155. R. Marine L. I., Other Ranks Survived, Reference Number 64301/Os/N

Nothing added to what you already have GL. Pink card. Only exception there is a ? after 552155

Vera

Comment

Darn it. I can see me having to contact RN archives for this man. He died in Canada in 1961 and his newspaper obit which is also included on findagrave.com says he served in The Royal Flying Corps in WW1 and won a Distinguished Flying Medal. As we say up here, “Aye, right…”
      His gravestone which is in the military section of a normal cemetery also says he was Sgt. Major M34019 in the CASC in WW2 which might well be correct - can’t check that as far as we know.
      At death he had acquired two extra forenames that he was not born with nor are they present on his first marriage in Scotland 1919 nor his 2nd (bigamous!) marriage in Canada in 1921. The first wife still in Scotland was granted a decree of divorce at Ayr Sheriff Court in December 1928. No details of the grounds, just an RCE to the marriage certificate.

Many thanks.

Comment

Can I be a cheeky monkey and ask you to check this chap out as well please as the fold3 record for him is a different dataset to the one I have viewed on ancestry. This chap did serve in two regiments / services - The Cameronians and later the RFC. He didn’t win a DFM either but only collected one of 3 medals awarded - the other two were unclaimed. He got his 1915 Star on leaving France to transfer to RFC. He is deffo not the same man as the one in previous post. I have his birth certificate and 1911 census he is with his parents and siblings at the same address as for his next of kin on the RFC record I have seen. I can’t find his original attestation to The Cameronians though nor can I find him after demob. No marriage or 100% death in Scotland found yet. I’m hoping the fold3 record might say if he is later known to have died or emigrated or even continued in a career in the services.

William Duncan
        Male
        Overtown, Overtown, Ayr.
        26 Aug 1914
        Robert Duncan
        Source Citation
        The National Archives of the UK, Kew, Surrey, England; Kew, Surrey, England; Air Ministry: Air Member for Personnel and Predecessors: Airmen's Records; Series Number: AIR 79

Source Information
        Ancestry.com. UK, Royal Air Force Airmen Records, 1918-1940 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2017

Comment

Just adding 're 3114/S on Forces War Records
          William Duncan Pte

Service from 24 June 1918 Royal Marines

Received Naval War Medal Roll. Medal earned 'B' No info re disposal of it

Will check out other Chap

Vera

Comment

One record. Just a card 're Pension commencing March 1920.

Duncan, Wm 185319 RAF Cam Hdrs ASC

Another, fuller will link

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
              Just adding 're 3114/S on Forces War Records
              William Duncan Pte

Service from 24 June 1918 Royal Marines

Received Naval War Medal Roll. Medal earned 'B' No info re disposal of it

Will check out other Chap

Vera
              The medal he got was the British Victory Medal which due to his late and short service was the only one he could be awarded.

Comment

Tried to link from download. Hope it meets ts and cs. Vera
                1676.jpg Duncan, William (185319).jpg

Comment

Many thanks. Will study them after dinner.

Comment

The first page is the same one that I have already. The second one I can see that from the day after his discharge he was paid an RAF pension. Their archives might be the place to find out when it ceased to be paid assuming that would correlate with his death.

Comment

I have another Pension card. Will see if there is additional info

Nothing additional to add. Pension record for Chelsea 1920

EDIT

However note on above records his address is 2 Lang St, Paisley.
                      Had found a possib!e death for him on SP for 1934. Father Robert recorded as Commercial Salesman. Mother as Elizabeth Duncan nee Keir/Kerr dec. E!izabeth died Paisley 1913 address 2 Lang St.

Informant for Williams death was wife Rose

Vera

Comment

I have another Pension card. Will see if there is additional info

Nothing additional to add. Pension record for Chelsea 1920

EDIT

However note on above records his address is 2 Lang St, Paisley.
                        Had found a possib!e death for him on SP for 1934. Father Robert recorded as Commercial Salesman. Mother as Elizabeth Duncan nee Keir/Kerr dec. E!izabeth died Paisley 1913 address 2 Lang St.

Informant for Williams death was wife Rose

Vera
                        Heavens, Vera. That must be the Cameronians / RFC chap as his mother was Elizabeth Kerr. Thank you so much.
                        You must have been spending credits as the mms is not yet indexed on that death. Can I please return the favour?
                        What was Rose’s ms from column 1 in the cert? then I can go find his marriage.

Comment

Pretty sure it's him GL. Its my hobby which I enjoy especially at these difficult times.

She's a Rose Ratteray.

Vera

Comment

Pretty sure it's him GL. Its my hobby which I enjoy especially at these difficult times.

She's a Rose Ratteray.

Vera
                            Got his marriage. He’s no longer a ringturner. He’s a slater’s labourer. What was his occupation on death?

Comment

A Gas Plant Attendant. Sad he died so young after being invalidied out of the War.

Vera

Comment

Got your emails. Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X