A blissful marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A blissful marriage

Eustace F(rederick) Bliss married Isabella M(argaret) Bliss in Q2 1975 at Surrey N W ref 17,600.

I suppose this could be:
    - a co-incidence of surnames, but I cannot find a birth to match
    - Bliss could have also been the surname of an earlier wedding (maybe even to Eustace) but I can't find a marriage to match.
    I have found a possible death in Q1 2001 in Newcastle ref 677,1d. If this is her there is a date of birth of 1914.
    There is a very tenuous suggestion of a Canadian connection so there may have been an event abroad which might explain it.

Any ideas much appreciated as always.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Hi webwiz,

have you checked Scotlands records for any previous marriage/births?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Hi webwiz,

have you checked Scotlands records for any previous marriage/births?
      No, I can't access those.

Comment

For births at the timeframe you are interested in, you can see certificates. At the moment you can see actual certificates up to end 1920. The indexes are free to view. You need to purchase credits to view - it works out at £1.50 per certificate. Register for free at

Currently marriages can be viewed up to end 1945 and deaths up to end 1970.
        Although certs beyond those dates are not viewable, the indexes up to the present day are viewable. Another year’s worth of certificates are usually opened up in the first month of the New Year.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post

No, I can't access those.
          pooooooooo
          Julie

Comment

Nothing in Scotland. Only a dozen or so men called bliss getting married anyone between 1926 and 1975. Only one Isabella but that was in 1886.

Comment

Up until 1939 Eustace and his first wife Jean were living at 40 Parkland Grove, Spelthorne, Middlesex. Suspect they parted during the war and from 1945-1948 it was just him there. From 1951 until 1965 it was occupied by his son and daughter plus their partners.

Don't know where wife Jean went - Jean Alexandra S Falconer whom he wed in 1926. She died 24/11/1990 and her probate entry states: Jane Alexandrina Simpson Bliss otherwise Jean Alexandra Simpson of 40 Parkland Grove so sometime after 1965 she went back to live in the previous family home now occupied by her son.

I would suggest that a divorce was many years later and that Eustace was already living with Isabella Margaret who probably changed her name by deed poll to Bliss - or, of course, she may have been married before herself and unable to divorce. For whatever reason, they were not able to marry until 1975. A copy of this marriage certificate would show her fathers name so you would then know her maiden name.

However, from 1955 to at least 1966 Eustace was living in Cambridgeshire with a Margaret Bliss (was this Isabella Margaret or someone else?) and what appears to be a daughter from 1961 i.e. born 1940 as would need to have been 21) - won't name her but there is a female with this name birth Mar.1940 Staines, mmn Henderson?? If the 'Margaret' he was with in Cambridgeshire was Isabella Margaret there is a possible birth entry Mar.1914 Kingston, Surrey. All if's and maybe's but you definitely need the 1975 marriage certificate to unravel this.

Annette

Comment

Just seen a Margaret Henderson on 1939 register in Staines, Middlesex with the exact same birthdate as Isabella Margaret i.e. 5th March 1914 so does indeed look as if 'Margaret' and Isabella Margaret are one and the same and that Eustace and she began a relationship 1939 with a daughter born in Mar.1940 Staines registered as Bliss, mmn Henderson. Naughty Eustace!!

Annette

Comment

That's great work Annette, but I cannot replicate it all.

Up until 1939 Eustace and his first wife Jean were living at 40 Parkland Grove, Spelthorne, Middlesex.
                  I cannot find them in 1939 on MyHeritage. Could you post or pm me the image you found?

From 1951 until 1965 it was occupied by his son and daughter plus their partners
                  Which source did you use for this, and the other post war addresses?

Just seen a Margaret Henderson on 1939 register in Staines, Middlesex with the exact same birthdate as Isabella Margaret
                  I can find this one on MyHeritage but they don't display the images. Which is the original entry, crossed out?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Never used MyHeritage so can't help there. I was using electoral rolls that are on ancestry. Checking now cannot find Eustace on 1939 register so no idea where he was although shown there on 1939 electoral roll. Wife Jean is at 40 Parkland Grove with 2 redacted entries which are probably their 2 children. Clearly by Sept.1939 looks like Eustace had left the marital home.

The 1939 register was used by the NHS until the mid 1990's which is why you'll see female entries with surname crossed through and another surname added if they married/changed name. This is what has happened with Margaret's entry. Henderson crossed through and shows Bliss and a ref. 22-11-48 NR230A TQE. Since we know they didn't marry until 1975 would suggest this date is when she changed her name to Bliss. Looks like she is living (lodging) with a married Catherine Griffiths (born 3/3/17) followed by 2 redacted entries that are probably Catherine's children.

Annette

Comment

Originally posted by annette.humphreys View Post
                      Never used MyHeritage so can't help there. I was using electoral rolls that are on ancestry. Checking now cannot find Eustace on 1939 register so no idea where he was although shown there on 1939 electoral roll. Wife Jean is at 40 Parkland Grove with 2 redacted entries which are probably their 2 children. Clearly by Sept.1939 looks like Eustace had left the marital home.

The 1939 register was used by the NHS until the mid 1990's which is why you'll see female entries with surname crossed through and another surname added if they married/changed name. This is what has happened with Margaret's entry. Henderson crossed through and shows Bliss and a ref. 22-11-48 NR230A TQE. Since we know they didn't marry until 1975 would suggest this date is when she changed her name to Bliss. Looks like she is living (lodging) with a married Catherine Griffiths (born 3/3/17) followed by 2 redacted entries that are probably Catherine's children.

Annette
                      Good call there Annette!

I have the same problem with a relative of mine, I know he should be on the 1939 register BUT I can't find him, well, I found one person with that exact name but he's not with his parents... still stumped with him even now...
                      Julie

Comment

Thanks Annette. That pretty well wraps it up.

Comment

Working...
                        X