Geneanet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geneanet

Has anyone used this site? I've never heard of it but apparently it has been acquired by Ancestry.
    Margaret

I was on it as an uploading free member but found it hard to use. All my matches were tiny ones. I deleted my account just two nights ago after nearly three years on it.
    Some other folks on here though use it and are sticking with it.

Comment

I'm devastated ancestry is acquiring it. It's very good for continental family trees, as they don't use ancestry much in europe, and disapprove of it.

it's also great for french records, especially paris. Volunteers have been indexing and filming the notary archives in paris. Often these records are all you will find concerning your family as parisian bmd records were destroyed in 1871. I wonder if this will continue or if ancestry will be off putting.

filae, which is french parish records and civil reg, censuses etc has been acquired by myheritage. Another shame. I thought myheritage was owned by ancestry.

the reasoning for these acquisitions has been now they have resources for new records.

Comment

I don't know much about Geneanet but from what I read the aims of them and Ancestry seem to be completely opposite, possibly the same with My Heritage, it doesn't sound good to have so much control of records under two such dominant groups.
        Margaret

Comment

Hmmm! That’s what annoys me about MyHeritage. They often bang on about having “exclusive” datasets.
          Try as I might I cannot get a list of exactly what these exclusive datasets are to determine if it’s worth paying a subscription beyond one year or dropping back to a free member.

Comment

I have my DNA on there and do occasional record searches for my de Fraines. I have some small DNA matches which appear to be maternal and I had been thinking of uploading my tree and taking out a 3 month premium but don't have the time to do anything with it at the moment so was waiting ......... so, I'm reserving judgement.

Maybe the chromosome browser might move over??? ???
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
            X