Welsh brick wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh brick wall

I have been looking for the parents of my distant relative, John Phillips (b. ~1660) from Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire Wales. His first and last name are very common. His wife was Elinor/Eleanor Haward (b. ~1659) but there is virtually nothing on her name for that time period.

I understand the naming for the time may indicate his father was Philip John as the names are often reversed between father and son. There was belief that he was related to the Phillips of Picton, but I cannot establish a link. Although there are several John Phillips in the line, none have a wife named Elinor/Eleanor.

I have read the Peerage Papers, English Baronetage of 1741, and Burke's but nothing concrete. Went through the National Library of Wales online to find wills, but the few I found don't mention the familiar names of his wife or known children. I know he had at least two sons, Samuel and Griffith who immigrated to the US in 1709. Some say he had a son Robert as well.

Sadly there is a lot of copy paste among the ancestry sites with little source information. Not sure where to go next. I read on a forum there might be info on Ancestry.com but most of my searching has been on FamilySearch.com. While I know there are others like Bespoke, I worry I would be laying down much money for dead ends as 17th century is difficult to trace.

Any help welcome, thank you so much.

Sorry can’t help much on Welsh records back that far.
    However, I’ve found this website useful for more recent events when helping a friend with Welsh ancestry. It looks like you can only start searching publications from 1804 so after your era but you never know, it might turn up something for you.

It might be worth you clicking on the other tabs at the top too - ie tithe maps, catalogue, resources etc.
    Good luck!
    Regards,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hiya - and a warm welcome to FTF

does this help - not forgetting it is someone elses research -may not be correct

https://gw.geneanet.org/cclemons?n=h...+ellen+mansard

might be correct ?

note - the tree owner Coleen Clemons has them as DIRECT ancestors - so is distantly related to yourself
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the lead on geneanet but I could not confirm the source information.
        I recently ran across another lead, Anne Philipps was the daughter of Sir Erasmus Philipps and his first wife Cicely Finch. Anne married first to Thomas Bowen and secondly to Thomas Heyward. Last name very similar to Elinor Haward/Hayward.
        After reviewing the Peerage and English Baronetage, I can find no issue of this union. Recently been reading through Alcwyn C. Evans works on the National Library of Wales (H25, and C21) Nothing about them having issue there either.

If I find they had a child named Elinor between 1650 and 1659, that would probably be the link I am looking for. Any info appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X