Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for London street maps

Hello

I'm trying to find a map of London, both north and south of the river, as I'm trying to find all the roads that my London family lived in. Many of the streets are now gone and I'm not sure when this grand development would have begun, with roads being changed along with rebuilding.

Any help with locating a map of this sort, or advice on what sort of date London began 'changing' would be much appreciated.

Thank you
    AT

I use NLS maps after someone mentioned them on here:

the side by side viewer can be a big help if you start with an existing road, and then you can kind of get your nearings.

the older maps are not all available on the side by side
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I find the Charles Booth poverty maps fascinating, especially if you are looking at the latter part of the 19th century. You can also link to the notebooks where they are available that give a non PC observation of the street/area.

Map | Charles Booth's London (lse.ac.uk)
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Arthurteacake welcome to the forum

There are many maps going back a long way here: Mapco London maps

Comment

Not so much streets as parishes, but I find this map to be useful for determining how close parishes are to each other. It's weird, and it's static in time (1851).

maps.familysearch.org

put the parish name in the upper left box and <search>
          select the parish you want
          in the box that appears over the map, select radius search andchoose the radius you want (defaults to 5mi) and press <go>
          The map will focus on the area you chose, and list the parishes down the left side with their distance for your chosen parish.
          Other options on the app will show you Poor Law Union, Civil Reg district and more

Comment

Thank you very much for the responses, I'll look into those suggestions.

AT

Comment

Depending on the period(s) you are interested in, there is the normal London A-Z. I have the 'Historical Version' of the 1938/39 that at the back has an Index (before & afterwards) of LCC Street Name Changes.

Another aid is .. https://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/London_Miscellany.htm that has an E-Book edition of London street name changes between 1857-1929 and 1929-1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenofex2 View Post
                Depending on the period(s) you are interested in, there is the normal London A-Z. I have the 'Historical Version' of the 1938/39 that at the back has an Index (before & afterwards) of LCC Street Name Changes.

Another aid is .. https://www.maps.thehunthouse.com/London_Miscellany.htm that has an E-Book edition of London street name changes between 1857-1929 and 1929-1945.
                Thanks for your suggestions

Comment

Hi, I’ve come to this somewhat belatedly, but I’ll add my suggestion. I’ve done some research into family in London and have found Alan Godfrey maps useful and not too expensive either. Hope this helps.

Comment

A post script to my last message. They also do maps for the rest of the country, not just London.

Comment

Not maps - but a narrative on the history of a grid square - I have found this blog useful. looks like the poster hasn't made any new posts for a while
                      London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings &amp; some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by GB43 View Post
                        Hi, I’ve come to this somewhat belatedly, but I’ll add my suggestion. I’ve done some research into family in London and have found Alan Godfrey maps useful and not too expensive either. Hope this helps.
                        Yes, I find these really useful for rural areas as it names the various farms. With most of my extended families working on the land, it's really helpful to be able to plot how they moved around. A move to the next farm could place them in a different parish, even though they'd only gone with the previous employer's son, who'd set up farming in his own establishment. Also farm names can be helpful in de-cyphering a place of birth given on a census return. One old boy was recorded as born in Bohemia ("never", thought I, then I discovered two farms named Upper and Lower Bohemia. )
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Love looking at maps, particularly the old ones. As you mentioned Janet, they can be very useful in plotting where people moved to. There’s a piece on the Alan Godfrey page from a researcher explaining how she has used maps to help trace families. I read it this morning after getting their newsletter.

Comment

I like looking at maps too, I hadn't realised there are a few more options out there, good thread.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                            X