Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coastguard lists?

Greetings,
    A year or so ago I got referred round in circles trying to find any records so I threw my notes out in disgust. John was born 1827 near Plymouth, was in the Coastguards in Kent in 1853 where he married; son #2 born 1857 near Plymouth and John is dead by 1861 census. So - are there records that may throw some light on him? If so, I'd appreciate directions (left hand down a bit!) to find them.
    Some of his family claim he was in the RN and died in Alverstoke but I have my doubts, hence my query.
    With thanks,
    SS

Google - Genuki British coastguards

Comment

The links on this page may be useful (I've not checked them).

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thanks for that. I'll give it a try when I wake up tomorrow!
        SS

Comment

Now I'm awake - time to put John to bed. He doesn't appear but his FiL does so I presume his occupation was correct on his marriage.. There is a younger one but re-checked his baptism and not the right parents.
          Can win 'em all.
          Thanks,
          SS

Comment

You should persevere to locate your John, who may well have been a Coastguard. The Coastguards were part of the Royal Navy in the 19th century. Have you searched for him in the Navy and if so, have you found any evidence that he made an Allotment payable to his wife?. Do you know when and where he died?
            Your family members may be correct that he was in the Navy and died at Alverstoke. Since 1759, right next door to Alverstoke was the Royal Naval Hospital, Hasler. Many men were buried there but not always recorded, unfortunately.
            I have a Coastguard in my family who started in the Navy and was shown as a Boatman in the Coastguard at his marriage in 1834 and remained with them until1868. Born in Plymouth he also went to Kent soon after his marriage until he died there in 1903.

merleyone

Comment

Hi M1,
              I'm certain that one part of the 'round in circles' was the Admiralty site that referred me onwards. I have had great results for the other side of the family who were RN and sailed the world, but this side go into hiding. It is his presumed death that I'm not happy with - I have a conspiracy theory!

Thanks,
              SS

Comment

Don't forget that people who worked on the sea were liable to go missing, presumed drowned, in which case there may not even be a death record. One of my OH's ancestors was a 'sailor of a gold duster', a sort of shore to ship supply boat working in the River Humber. I could never find a death for him. Eventually I found a short newspaper report saying that a gold duster sailor had been lost in the Humber and left a wife and five children. Incredibly it did not even give his name! There was no death certificate.
                Anne

Comment

Yes - it's just my RN lot seem well documented ; died of fever in Barbados; no longer required (spent more time in the brig than up the mast); L12 paid for discharge; etc. I had high hopes of finding some notes on him. Not to worry,
                  SS

Comment

Working...
                  X