Ancestry newspaper announcement please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry newspaper announcement please

Does any one have newspaper access to ancestry please? I'm hoping to find an announcement of a death / obituary. The reference is;

Calgary Herald; Publication Date: 14 Jul 1961; Publication Place: Calgary, Alberta, Canada; URL: https://www.newspapers.com/image/481...138,0.49195972 ,0.3833522&xid=3355

The deceased is indexed wrongly. The surname should be DUNCAN. The wife is also deceased 1987.
    William James Dusican
    Male
    17s 1 College Lane
    Abt 1961
    14 Jul 1961
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Olive Edith Duncan

GL,
    I’ve PMd you.

Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Karamazov Thanks, have pm’d you back with some background. Life’s never simple LOL

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        Karamazov Thanks, have pm’d you back with some background. Life’s never simple LOL
        Can’t say I followed all the background in your PM after an initial quick read.
        However, here’s some more on the man in the obituary I sent you. He’s in Burnsland Cemetery on findagrave.com as per the obit with grave photo and background info inc a better copy of the OCR obit I sent you
        Son of William Duncan, born at Tarbolton, Scotland, and Christina Weir, born at Sorn, Scotland.
        William Duncan and Olive Edith May were married at Armstrong, B.C. on April 6, 1921.

DUNCAN--July 13th, William James Arthur, loving husband of Mrs. Olive Edith Duncan, 1761 College Lane and father of Mrs. D. M. MacInnes, Bowness, Mrs. Barrie Waters and William F. A. of Calgary, also surviving are 10 grandchildren and 1 sister in Chicago. Mr. Duncan was born in Sorn, Scotland 71 years ago. In the first war he was in the Royal Flying Corps and the R.C.A.S.C. in the second war. He was awarded the DFM in the first war. Mr. Duncan was an engineer with Burns and Dutton for a number of years and member of Canadian Legion and Army and Navy and Airforce vets.
        The Calgary Herald, July 15, 1961, page 28

I see you already been there and requested a photo of Olive’s grave in order to confirm that they were indeed man and wife.

I think the proof is here in the form of their marriage certificate:

So is he your man or just a namesake?

Here is Olive’s death cert http://search-collections.royalbcmus...9-a0f44e0527c9
        The findagrave details imply that she too was buried at Burnsland Cemetery but from the death cert she was actually cremated with disposition at Lakeview Cemetery in Kelowna, British Columbia.

Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Some things tie up but on the wife’s death cert he’s back to plain old William Duncan just as he was at birth and both marriages. The informant was their son who according to the obituary was William A. F. Duncan - presumably A for Arthur again. You’d think he’d have put his father’s full name on his mother’s death certificate?
          I’ve checked the complete list of all RAF and the former RFC military awards on the their official database and there’s no William Duncan of any sort has been awarded a DFM.
          I don’t get how the 1961 obituary can say that the deceased served in RFC in WW1 when our William didn’t immigrate into Quebec till 30 August 1920 having left from Liverpool on the Empress of France and had (verified) attested in Glasgow 24 June 1918 into the Royal Marine Light Infantry - Chatham Division: Sort Service as Pte. 3114 and was demobbed 17 February 1919. There's no mention of that at all on his gravestone which you'd think there would be if he did in fact win a DFM.
          Another anomaly is William’s occupation. 1911 census in Scotland, he’s a shepherd. 1919 1st marriage, he’s a motor engineer. Arrival in Canada and 2nd marriage and 1921 census, he’s back to a farm labourer. I wonder what type of firm Burns and Dutton was? I will chase that up.
          How did you find Olive’s death cert? I searched to no avail and can’t find William’s either although findagrave has a reference number.

Thanks for all your help with this. Newspaper searches are my bete noir

Comment

Burns and Dutton Concrete and Construction Company founded 1942 by Red Dutton, Reg Jennings, and Bob Burns. In 1970, Burns and Dutton becomes CANA Construction Co Ltd.

So probably not a motor engineer as he was on 1st marriage.

Comment

Karamazov

I have now found the site you got the above certs from. Thanks so much, I had not known of it’s existence. I already had a copy of the 1921 marriage that was in ancestry.

Got myself a blank search page and looked for the death cert for William James A Duncan 1961. It’s not coming up. Have tried only using William, then only Duncan, then the year 1961 with and without Calgary then the reference number as found on findagrave. Zilch!
              I also can’t find the 1973 death cert for plain William Duncan as shown in ancestry screenshot below.

I have also tried following the links to the Alberta website but it takes you the society homepage and I can’t figure out how to drill down to the cemetery record mentioned for him either.

BF55FE5D-4841-4819-A612-B76B821E319F.jpeg

Comment

Index to William James Arthur Duncan’s death is here - on page 17 of the pdf
                https://www.provincialarchives.alber...-1960-1964.pdf

It’s not as much as I thought it would be to get a copy sent to you - $5.25 Canadian which is approx £3

https://atms.alberta.ca/paa/Store/Se....aspx?item=936

Christine
                Researching:

Comment

Great thanks.
                  Another site saved to favourites. Have ordered a digital copy of the death certificate and the receipt has arrived. It might take a few days as they are not open on Mondays, at least their reading room isn’t so presuming the whole place is closed that day.

Comment

Have searched the 1926 census of The Prairie Provinces. William and Olive Edith (either forename) are not there so if they had any children in the first 5 years of marriage, they must have been born in British Columbia. The 1931 census of Canada won't be released till 2023.

Comment

Voters roll 1962 gives name for the one who was Mrs B. W.

Comment

Voters roll 1962 gives name for the one who was Mrs B. W.
                        Have you reached the same conclusion as me that she was called Heather?

Found her with Barrie in Calgary but then found her as Heather Waters living with Olive Duncan in BC. Can’t remember what year it was now (mid1960s I think) and haven’t got time at the moment to go searching for it again No sign of the hubby Barrie. I wonder if she left/divorced him?

Haven’t managed to find anything to pin down names of D M McInnes and wife’s first name as per obit in post 4.
                        Just a minor correction to something you’ve written above - William Duncan gives his occ as mechanical engineer on marriage cert to Olive.

Christine
                        Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                          Just a minor correction to something you’ve written above - William Duncan gives his occ as mechanical engineer on marriage cert to Olive.

Christine
                          Ooops! Sorry about that.

Yes I got the impression that she went by her middle name as the Calgary 1962 electoral roll has her as Waters, Heather D. I haven’t found any further mention of Barrie. Her name- as on the very spare ancestry trees was Dorthy Heather Duncan. I am wondering if a spelling mistake has taken legs and she was Dorothy?
                          I didn’t know about her living with her mother though. If it was mid 60’s then maybe Olive left Calgary after her husband died.
                          I haven’t succeeded with who became Mrs. MacInnes either.
                          The son William A. F. Duncan, we know to have died but when and where we have no idea. He was married as some years ago, a gt. grand daughter contacted the Canada branch that I fit in to. He was known as Bill. I’ve been going back a couple of generations from William Duncan 1889 but no names that I can see that would fit. Olive’s own father was Frederick so an educated guess is that Bill was William Arthur Frederick Duncan.

Comment

Katarzyna Have PM'd you. I have found BW at another address with a different wife. No idea if either or both of them are still alive.

Comment

Katarzyna Have PM'd you. I have found BW at another address with a different wife. No idea if either or both of them are still alive.
                              I take it you mean you have PMd me not Katarzyna!

Easier if you just call me Christine.

Yes, have now seen your PM. Barrie with a 2nd wife? I think finding Olive Duncan and Heather Waters at the same address is pretty conclusive. I’ll see if I can find it again before iPad battery drains!

whew, only 2% charge. It’s 1965 and they’re in Knox Crescent. Using Ancestry Library but hopefully have modified the URL so you can see
                              https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=17685199

Christine
                              Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

I take it you mean you have PMd me not Katatzyna!

Easier if you just call me Christine.

Yes, have now seen your PM. Barrie with a 2nd wife? I think finding Olive Duncan and Heather Waters at the same address is pretty conclusive. I’ll see if I can find it again before iPad battery drains!
                                Not firing on all cylinders am I eh? LOL

1953 William Duncan (retired), Mrs Olive Duncan (housewife) and William Duncan jr. (salesman) at are at 4305 55th Street, Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
                                1957 William Duncan (retired). Olive Duncan and William Fred Duncan (adjuster) are at 2636 36th Street SW. South Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - (so F = Frederick / Fred)
                                1962 Olive E Duncan (cook), James Arbuckle (construction worker), Carney, Clarence (truck driver) and Carney, Joan (bank clerk) are at 5544 45th Avenue, Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
                                1965 Mrs Heather Waters and Mrs Olive Duncan are at 1965 Knox Crescent, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. So Heather's marriage was up to an including 1962 and the divorce 1963 - 1965 as I found her in 1963 with husband and still at the same address as 1962. Her birth as far as we know is 1941 and assuming she got married at the conventional age of 21 then the marriage was new in 1962 and also that would be the first year she would appear on a voter's roll.

Comment

Karamazov Have found the missing daughter from the obituary. Have PM’d you as likely some still alive.

Comment

So Heather's marriage was up to an including 1962 and the divorce 1963 - 1965 as I found her in 1963 with husband and still at the same address as 1962. Her birth as far as we know is 1941 and assuming she got married at the conventional age of 21 then the marriage was new in 1962 and also that would be the first year she would appear on a voter's roll.
                                    She was already married to Barrie Waters at the time of her father’s death in July 1961 as per obit. So married relatively young.

I’ve sent you a PM about the other sister. I found her obituary and as she is dead, no problem with posting the obit link here. No mention of her husband, just mentions that she is survived by various children, grandchildren etc plus brother Bill is still alive in 2010.

Thanks for the PM tip about the surname spelling being MacInnis and not McInnes as she is recorded in the obit in post 4.
                                    Found her obit in seconds, so my work for today is done!

Christine

Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                    X