1838 marriage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1838 marriage problem

I was hoping the groom's father's occupation on his marriage certificate would identify his father! Unfortunately, on the copy I received from the GRO, both the groom's and bride's fathers don't have their occupations shown. Groom's father was one of the witnesses.

Please can someone confirm this is St Margaret's church? It's registered in Westminster.

Would the church copies be held in the London Archives Centre?

I
    Vicky

Vicky the Viking can you give some more detail please? Though I'm going out shortly so may not be around for your reply until later.

Comment

What else do you need to know? I have the GRO marriage cert, William Henry Bristow married Winifred Ryan on 16 Aug 1838. Both of full age. William is a groom (his address is given as Hanover Sq which I assume is where his Employer lives) Bride's residence Belgrave Sq, I would assume she is also in service. By Banns. Groom's father WIlliam Bristow, Bride's father Edward Ryan. Witnesses William Bristow and Frances Staple. I think William must be his father, no idea about Frances yet (I haven't tried to investigate Winifred's family).
      This William Henry was born in 1812, baptised in Esher, parents William & Elizabeth, and is pretty consistent with his age & place of birth.

I have a 70cM DNA match to a Bristow descendent in Australia who is descended from William Bristow/Winifred Ryan, so there must be a link between our trees somewhere.

My problem is trying to find his father. There are a couple of William Bristows around, so I was hoping that his father's occupation might identify which one.

I'm trying to trace the descendents of a William Bristow who died in 1843 in Esher. I do not have a baptism for him but from his age at death I think he was probably born about 1765. I have found several children for him, with mother's name Mary, but no marriage. In 1841 he is living in Esher with his wife Mary, On the 1851 census she is still in Esher, she died in June 1851. Both the death certs refer to William Bristow, Baker, and both were registered by Daniel Mead who is their son-in-law [my 3x ggf] and lived next door.

Baker William & Mary's first daughter who was baptised in 1793 was named Mary. They had several other children all baptised in Esher. What surprised me is that none of their sons was named William, which I think is quite odd for those times. My theory at the moment is that they did have a son William b about 1791/92 and it is this William who is the father of William Henry b 1812. I found one, in Southwark in 1792, which is a distinct possibility though I'd be far more confident about it if it had been in Esher. (And if you're not confused by that, you're doing better than me!)

William b abt 1765 appears in some Ancestry trees as bap 1775 with parents John & Sarah which I have discounted as none of his children were given these names. None of these other trees show a William b 1792.

All I really want to know at this stage is where the church copies of the marriage would be located, so I could check if the column for father's occupation has been filled in. It wouldn't be the first time I've come across an error in the GRO copy.
      Vicky

Comment

The transcript is on FMP, image would have been once upon a time....westminster collection is now on ancestry, but can't spot the marriage.

Comment

There is only the transcript on FMP but it does say ST Margaret's Westminster. It just says bride and grooms names, 1838 and they are both full age.
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Quite possibly the occupations are blank on the original, often details are blank on early ones.

Comment

Snap Kyle'
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

St margaret isn't part of ancestry's collection, so that's why we can't find it there.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                  St margaret isn't part of ancestry's collection, so that's why we can't find it there.
                  Bristow is often mistranscribed but Bristo* usually turns it up if it's there.

The image isn't on FMP either, which is why I'm trying to find which Archives might hold a copy. I'm struggling with the Westminster archives catalogue search.

This one doesn't seem to be on Familysearch either, never mind trying to navigate their catalogue!
                  Vicky

Comment

GENUKI has this;

Church Records

Registers are in Westminster Abbey's Muniment Room, but film also now in the City of Westminster Archives Centre in St.Anne Street.

Parishes in Westminster Rural Deanery in 1903, and Anglican churches in Westminster in 1890/1905have some information on this and other churches in this historic parish, including records, whether churches are still open, and where they are.

Comment

Familysearch appears to have the PR film, but must be viewed in a Family History Centre

Comment

Working...
                      X