New Zealand marriage or death certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand marriage or death certificate

Has anyone ordered a certificate from the New Zealand BDM Online? ( https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/home ) I am wondering what information a marriage certificate for 1862 might give? Alternatively a death certificate for 1927? Really wondering if either would provide parent's names? I'm willing to fork out NZ$25 for one if the information might be there.

I have a family in Kent, England, one of whom probably went to New Zealand. However the name is quite common (James Turner, b Chatham Q2 1838) and I have no concrete proof that the James Turner marrying and having a large family in Wellington, NZ is the same person. Lots of Ancestry trees do think so and quote an actual date for the marriage but do not offer any proof. Also, we have several DNA matches with descendants of the said James Turner, which I guess should satisfy me but I still have that niggling doubt!!

Anne

I think records pre 1875 in NZ are patchy and details the same...

but i have deaths from 1906 and 1912, and they record details similar to australian certs, such as birthplace, parents names, marriage details and children. Though i find they just count them rather than the australian practise of listing their names and ages when parents died.

Comment

Thanks, Kyle. I think I'll probably order the death certificate then. Sounds more likely to have what I need.
      Anne

Comment

Have you checked ancestry to see if anybody has a tree with the couple in it that has uploaded the cert to their gallery?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          Have you checked ancestry to see if anybody has a tree with the couple in it that has uploaded the cert to their gallery?
          Oh yes, gone through them all with a fine tooth comb! They all copy from each other of course and quote an actual marriage date, which probably has some truth but I need to see the truth!! Reading the stuff on the NZ BDM site it looks as though marriage certificates didn't have parents on them in 1862. I think (hope) I will be lucky with his death certificate in 1927. I know it is him because a newspaper obituary describes him dying at his daughter's house and lists everything about him except his parents and exact place of birth .... the one thing I need to prove it is him and not some other James Turner!

Haha, I'm like a ferret ... the harder it is the more I want to try and sort it out!

Anne

Comment

Being thorough is a good thing. Not enough people do the proper research, as evidence by all the copycat trees.

Comment

Here's the one I have issued 1910, the death was 1895 but it does have a col. for where born and names of parents
              Attached Files
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks Elaine, that looks promising. I hadn't realised the birthplace might be included.
                I ordered the certificate today so fingers crossed!
                Anne

Comment

Might be worth having a look on NZ Papers Past. Not sure if this is your man but the info in these results seems to fit with the info you gave in the first post, although only says he was born in England.
                  https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/ne...ate=01-11-1927

Pity it’s a common name, but I would certainly look for his wife’s obit which might give further family info. Also you never know what searching for articles about his children might throw up...
                  Hope the cert you’ve ordered gets you further forward.

Christine

Oops just read thread properly and from your post 5 it looks like you’ve probably already seen the newspaper obits.
                  Researching:
                  HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks! Yes I have been trawling through the papers and found that and other things. Trouble is nothing says exactly where he was born or who his parents were.
                    My main doubt centres on the fact that (if it is him) he is on HMS Cumberland in April 1861 census. He is a Private in the Army along with many others, presumably embarking on a campaign, but I have not found any military records. He then apparently marries in NZ in March 1862, which to me seems quick work, given that he would have to leave the Army, get to NZ, meet his wife and marry!

Anyway, hopefully the certificate will prove it one way or the other! Because of the DNA links I have been getting on with adding his descendants to the tree. Fingers crossed I don't have to delete them all .. he had 12 children!!

Anne

Comment

The certificate arrived early this morning and it proves everything correct, parents, father's occupation and place of birth! Very pleased and also impressed with the quick service. Glad I don't have to delete any family and can now get on with sorting out the DNA matches with confidence!
                      Anne

Comment

Great result

Comment

And about what you'd pay for an english cert with like triple the info....

Comment

True, Kyle. With an English death certificate I would be no closer to pinning him down to his family. It was well worth it.
                            Forgot to mention the siblings who were just listed by age of male and female surviving ones. They checked out exactly.
                            Anne

Comment

I have an 1883 NZ marriage cert for my great grandparents. It has birthplace of both bride and groom and parents of both...as well as the usual marriage date and place, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X