Blackburn's of Devon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackburn's of Devon

Our Blackburn line is thought to come from Plymouth, Devon, tracing back to William Blackburn born around 1811 and dying in Plymouth in 1893. His wife was Elizabeth Sobey of St. Budeaux, Cornwall. They had 5 children, the oldest being Charles Henry Sobey born 1841 in Plymouth, Henry William Jacob was born in St Helier, Jersey 1843, then 3 girls all born in Plymouth. William was a stonemason.
    Our problem is the fact that we can't actually find William Blackburn being born in Devon. On every census, 1841-1891, he stated he was born in Plymouth, but we simply haven't been able to trace it, even after visiting the Plymouth history center.
    So, we started looking in Yorkshire, where many Blackburn families originate from, and there were a couple of possible matches, one of which was a John Blackburn and Mary Eastwood. They had a son, William, baptized around 1816. However, there is no definitive connection to our William. Perhaps the most difficult part is that we have never found a marriage certificate for William and Elizabeth, when they should be married sometime around 1840.
    My question is, where do we go from here? This is a massive brickwall that several family members have tried to break down.
    We have so many documents pertaining to this family, yet no documents that would allow us to accurately track further back than William.
    Thanks!

I am not so good with record finding once it goes before 1800s, they are more hit and miss by region with regard to availability. You mention the Plymouth history centre - were the records available for the period you were looking, but you couldn't find any records for you? or they didn't have records.

The fact that he went to Jersey, does mean that he did travel for work, so I guess there is a possibility that they were married elsewhere.

do you have a published tree somewhere? It might be useful to post the link.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I know this is not going to help you specifically, but I think it would be wrong to discount Plymouth as a place of birth as in a quick search on family search. I have found 3 different Blackburn families having children in that time frame.

There is a very difficult image to read for a Joseph John Blackburn at St Andrews Plymouth, the image is so bad, there is no other information but there are these that are more readable:

St Andrews Plymouth
      Mary Ann Blackburn bap 1803 Joseph and Grace

Elizabeth Blackburn bap 1808 John and Mary

Plympton St Mary
      Robert bap 1804 Robert and Mary

There are also census returns for a Thomas Blackburn b. Plymstock c.1804.

I know William is a bit later but there are Blackburn families in the area. There are a lot of parishes that come under the Plymouth umbrella. I don't have a great deal of time tonight but I will see if I can find anything more helpful tomorrow. Oh and I believe there are parish records missing for Plymouth due to the WW2 bombing.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
        I know this is not going to help you specifically, but I think it would be wrong to discount Plymouth as a place of birth as in a quick search on family search. I have found 3 different Blackburn families having children in that time frame.

There is a very difficult image to read for a Joseph John Blackburn at St Andrews Plymouth, the image is so bad, there is no other information but there are these that are more readable:

St Andrews Plymouth
        Mary Ann Blackburn bap 1803 Joseph and Grace

Elizabeth Blackburn bap 1808 John and Mary

Plympton St Mary
        Robert bap 1804 Robert and Mary

There are also census returns for a Thomas Blackburn b. Plymstock c.1804.

I know William is a bit later but there are Blackburn families in the area. There are a lot of parishes that come under the Plymouth umbrella. I don't have a great deal of time tonight but I will see if I can find anything more helpful tomorrow. Oh and I believe there are parish records missing for Plymouth due to the WW2 bombing.
        You are right. Definitely can't discount William being born in Plymouth. We mostly went the Yorkshire route due to being unable to find records, but we do know of a Joseph Blackburn and his family residing in Plymouth at the same time. I think what really does us in is the fact we don't know who Williams father is because we haven't found a marriage certificate. I feel that without that, its really difficult to pinpoint exactly which one he is, unless we find a father who has similar family names or is a stonemason.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          I am not so good with record finding once it goes before 1800s, they are more hit and miss by region with regard to availability. You mention the Plymouth history centre - were the records available for the period you were looking, but you couldn't find any records for you? or they didn't have records.

The fact that he went to Jersey, does mean that he did travel for work, so I guess there is a possibility that they were married elsewhere.

do you have a published tree somewhere? It might be useful to post the link.
          I personally didn't go to Plymouth, my great uncle went to the center and they told him many records were destroyed in a flood. Not sure how true that is though. If I've done this right, this is the link for our Blackburn-Pye Tree. The Plymouth Blackburns are essentially the furthest back we have on that side.

Comment

yes that works, here is the .co.uk address.

What a shame they were lost in a flood, would make sense if you can't find them. I did have a look through papers, not found anything, blackburn as a surname is tricky as Blackburn the town comes up a lot!
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Floods/Bombs, at least there is a consistancy in records being lost.

I have tried to look around but I can only find records for the area up until 1812 online. Devon FHS transcription booklets for the area also end at the same date. I have come up blank for any possible Trade Directories.

The nearest I came to is a Peter William Blackburne from Plymstock, but he is not your man as can be followed.

I see the archives for Plymouth have moved to The Box, an interactive museum opened last year, yes in the bit between lockdowns! It may be worth contacting them when everything becomes a little more normal. I'm sorry I could not find anything tangible.

Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Oh my days. I quickly checked out The Box as you recommended. Their location on Tavistock Place is the same street this Blackburn family lived on. They were at #14! What are the odds. I'll see if I can contact them and if anything comes up. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Rootspoint - 1881 details and address
                  William Blackburn was a man born in 1811 in Plymouth Devonshire Charles. During the 1881 UK Census he was 70 years old and lived in Devonshire. He appears as the head of his house in the 1881 UK Census.
                  LAST NAME: Blackburn
                  FIRST NAME: William
                  MIDDLE NAME:
                  BIRTH YEAR: 1811
                  BIRTH PLACE: Plymouth Devonshire Charles
                  COUNTY: Devonshire
                  RESIDENCE: 14, Tavistock Pl
                  Charles, Devonshire
                  HOUSEHOLD MEMBERS: William Blackburn (70, Male)
                  Elizabeth Blackburn (69, Female)
                  Emma J Blackburn (21, Female)
                  Mary Blackburn (25, Female)
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by LStear View Post
                    Oh my days. I quickly checked out The Box as you recommended. Their location on Tavistock Place is the same street this Blackburn family lived on. They were at #14! What are the odds. I'll see if I can contact them and if anything comes up. Thanks a lot!
                    I hope that is a good omen and they are able to help.
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                    X