Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house deeds and documents?

hi,
    can you get copies of house deeds/documents that are NOT for your own house? The house still exists today.

reason im asking, last year i had a lady message me saying i had my grandfathers place of death wrong as she had purchased the house that he used to own, and had owned upto his death. i'm very interested in this as his death cert states; and my mum (now also dead) visited him for 18months-2years leading to his death; a different address. he didnt have a will nor was my mum ever contacted about her father owning this house.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Yes you can.

Our online services provide the general public and property professionals with access to official copies of Land Registry Title Registers and Title Plans.

Comment

You can do a land search, I did it for the land at the back of us as everyone said someone else owned it. That way back in the day before land reg was on line. There seems to be various documents available, and different charges depending on what you order.

I am not quite sure what you need to order -
      Find a property and get its title plan, title register and see who owns it
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

House deeds don't give the names of every previous owner, so anything purchased from the land registry would likely only show the current owner and possibly the the original owner at first registration.

I would be a little wary of what this woman is telling you. If your grandfather owned land/property then in order to sell it someone would have had to have applied for probate. Even if there was no will, they would have to have been granted administration in order to deal with the sale of your grandfather's assets.

Comment

thanks for replies. i shall look into the land registry side of things.

When i spoke to my sister on it, she said she knew of where grandad had lived (linked to things mum had said), but like me, she didn't know about him owning it and said if he did then someone somewhere has explaining to do to us. Sadly there is only me and my sister alive linked to this as grandad and my mum are now both dead. i hope that if i start looking it isnt going to open a whole can of worms and problems, but i think it might if he did own it.

Comment

I would try the gov website first - as think the other is charging more for same service, didn't look that closely though.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I used to have to obtain Land Registry records in my job, and as per my post #4, the documents do not list all of the former owners, in the same way that the log book for your car doesn't.

It would also be impossible to sell a house without first obtaining probate. Even if there is no will, an Administrator would have to be appointed giving them legal authority to dispose of the estate, otherwise we could all go around selling houses we don't own!.

Have you checked the probate registry for anyone with the same name as your grandad who died around the same year?

Comment

what sort of era are you referring? Have you managed to find the occupiers through reg of electors? You could also have a check through the papers you might get lucky.

couple of wesbites just found
                House History: Discover the history of your House or your ancestor’s house. We show you how to do it for free

I started doing a history of my friends house, and would be ibterested to know what else I could find.
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 09-08-21, 08:08.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

hi,

thanks for info above. i've not got as far as looking into it properly.

grandad died in 1979, and as far as well knew prior to his death he was living in a care home of sorts - this is the address on his death cert and where my mum said she was visiting him. The house was about a 10mins walk from the care home. The last record i have found linked to him at the address was 1966 electoral register. the 1st instance of him at this address was 1958.

from a google search it appears the first time the house was sold was in 2004. Therefore, i think lady has found info that my grandad lived there and messaged me as the new owner of his former home. just the way it was worded that he had owned it.

Comment

Originally posted by yummy-mummy-amy View Post
                    hi,

thanks for info above. i've not got as far as looking into it properly.

grandad died in 1979, and as far as well knew prior to his death he was living in a care home of sorts - this is the address on his death cert and where my mum said she was visiting him. The house was about a 10mins walk from the care home. The last record i have found linked to him at the address was 1966 electoral register. the 1st instance of him at this address was 1958.

from a google search it appears the first time the house was sold was in 2004. Therefore, i think lady has found info that my grandad lived there and messaged me as the new owner of his former home. just the way it was worded that he had owned it.
                    I think the 2004 could be a bit of a red herring, that will be the first time it was on land registry. many houses are not on the LR database, not sure when those records first started, around the 1990s

edit - this solicitors website confirms 1990 https://www.jcsolicitors.com/is-your...land-registry/

I have had 2 friends recently that have had to get the house registered before they can sell parents houses.
                    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 15-10-21, 22:44.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

I think the 2004 could be a bit of a red herring, that will be the first time it was on land registry. many houses are not on the LR database, not sure when those records first started, around the 1990s

edit - this solicitors website confirms 1990 https://www.jcsolicitors.com/is-your...land-registry/

I have had 2 friends recently that have had to get the house registered before they can sell parents houses.
                      thanks for this info. it still something i'm going to look into and is on a to-do list but not going to be until near year now.

Comment

Working...
                      X