Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• godparents

hi,
    do modern day church records have the name of godparents recorded?

i have my baptism certificate and it has name, date, church and who did it nothing on my godparents. I know 1 is my aunt (ive asked her on others and got cant remember but there was 3 others). so if i was to contact the church it took place at would they be able to tell me?
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

I think it might be there, definitely worth enquiring. Quite a long time ago (10 years?) we visited the church where my daughter was christened. We had not lived there for years but still knew some people and by chance we met the churchwarden who we knew. He offered to show us the baptism book (we didn't ask!) and I was surprised to see her godparents names in it. So used to looking at historical records that don't have them it really struck me at the time. Daughter is 45 now, to give you an idea of timescale. It was a Church of England church.
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      I think it might be there, definitely worth enquiring. Quite a long time ago (10 years?) we visited the church where my daughter was christened. We had not lived there for years but still knew some people and by chance we met the churchwarden who we knew. He offered to show us the baptism book (we didn't ask!) and I was surprised to see her godparents names in it. So used to looking at historical records that don't have them it really struck me at the time. Daughter is 45 now, to give you an idea of timescale. It was a Church of England church.
      Anne
      thanks anne, i'm nearly 40 so there is hope that mine may be listed.
      **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X