Noob question GRO cert dowmload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob question GRO cert dowmload

After reluctantly using the PDF option for a birth cert for the first time I've had an email saying it's available to download. I've gone into 'my orders' and it will only display the order details, there's no 'view pdf' or whatever is supposed to be there. Is it usual to get an email then have to wait 24+ hours for the item to be available to download or am I just being thick somewhere?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

So long since I ordered anything but I think you have to go to recent orders and put in the COL number off the email and it should be there for you.

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

gro order.jpg It just keeps throwing up the screen with details of the order and 'view details'

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Have you clicked onto 'view details'. Like I said it's so long ago I ordered anything I can't remember. Just remembered, mine comes up on the bottom left hand corner of the computer and I have to upload it.
        Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

It just displays the order details, I've had the email, the order screen says it was despatched yesterday but there's no option to download anything.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I can never remember what my order numbers are. I tend to enter dates from about a month ago to the current date instead of the order numbers to pick up any orders that were made recently but I do see the “download PDF” button once I get the email that the order is sent. Not sure why you are not seeing it in your order. Try logging out of your account and logging in again, starting from the website homepage rather than clicking a link in an email. This time using the date method to pick up the order. It might just kick things into action.

EDIT - just a thought… note the time of dispatch. It was nearly 6pm on a Friday night. I doubt if there was a human being present then. Probably it was preset earlier in the day for bulk deliveries just before 6pm. I can remember our library service servers did something similar with automatic printing of overdue notices and also their email equivalent if the customer had chosen that method.

Comment

It sounds like GL has the best idea, but I'd also note - you don't have to enter COL number/details - I've searched just entering dates and entered the entire month - successfully.

Comment

I was just searching on dates after I got the email then someone suggested using the COL number with and without the date of email, whichever of the three methods I use I get the same result as the screengrab. Image this time is date only with no COL number There isn't a link on the email to the order, just to the cert enquiries page.

I ordered a marriage cert the day after and it comes back as despatched yesterday too but obviously a paper copy. Seriously unimpressed if the pdf version is going to arrive later than the hard copy, I could have ordered it from Lincoln and had it by now but as it's just to find out the mother of an illegitimate child who died after two days I went the cheapskate route. I won't fall for that one again.
                Attached Files

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I did have one recently out of a batch of 7 that wasn't available when I got all the emails, one for each. I think they had just forgotten to press the button. I emailed them and it appeared the next day. I have been ordering loads so the PDF route is a massive saving. Just got a batch of nine delivered yesterday! I love it, not only do you save money but time as well as I don't have to scan the paper copy in.
                  Anne

Comment

I'm struggling to see how it saves time when it takes longer than a paper version to arrive, it only takes a minute to scan and save the image too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I haven't needed to send for a paper cert for ages because I'm backfilling on deaths of direct ancestors. I have no idea how long a paper copy takes to arrive but had assumed it would be longer. The nine PDFs I received yesterday only took 4 days.

I think you've been really unlucky and hit the same glitch I mentioned above. Because my unavailable one was part of a batch and all the others came I realised it was an error. You showed the right screen in post 3. When the PDF is available there will be a blue link below that 'view details' button.
                      Anne

Comment

Contact them, they'll rectify it quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                          gro order.jpg​ It just keeps throwing up the screen with details of the order and 'view details'
                          Have just checked previous completed order

Under view details should be view PDF highlighted in blue. As Kyle says contact them re error.

​​​​​​​Vera

Comment

I'm getting nowhere with it, the GRO say it's been sent and is available to download....but it's still the same screen as shown in my previous posts. A marriage cert I ordered the day after arrived in the post today.
                            I was looking at ordering a few pdf's to clear up some illegitimate births of children who weren't baptised and died in between census but that might be out the window now or I'll go the local route and get copies of the original register. It will cost a bit more but they usually turn them round in 48-72 hours.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I'm getting nowhere with it, the GRO say it's been sent and is available to download....but it's still the same screen as shown in my previous posts. A marriage cert I ordered the day after arrived in the post today.
                              I was looking at ordering a few pdf's to clear up some illegitimate births of children who weren't baptised and died in between census but that might be out the window now or I'll go the local route and get copies of the original register. It will cost a bit more but they usually turn them round in 48-72 hours.
                              have you tried a different browser? say edge? or Chrome/Firefox
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Update;
                                It ended up being uploaded three days behind the hard copy certs I ordered. So much for quicker and all that eh?

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

It's one error glen. They always upload them less than a week after ordering in my experience. I used to have to wait two weeks to get paper certs to australia. Now less than a week and can print them at home.

Comment

Update;
                                    It ended up being uploaded three days behind the hard copy certs I ordered. So much for quicker and all that eh?
                                    I know what you mean, but 'usually' it is much quicker than snail mail. thank yourself lucky that it wasn't in lockdown 6 WEEKS + for certs etc...
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

They're still turning hard copies round in 2-3 days from Lincoln to be honest, ordered one on Monday morning, it's just popped through the letterbox about 10 minutes ago. It's helped to place a stray name from census returns too as the informant.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                      X