Charles Cokayne goldsmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Cokayne goldsmith

Can anyone help me locate marriages for Charles Cokayne, goldsmith of London please?
    He seems to have been married twice, possibly three times (I'm waiting to find either a marriage or burial for the supposed first wife). He lived in Holborn, London, and had children baptised in St Andrew Holborn from at least 1629 to at least 1636. The first, Margaret, lists parents as Charles and Diana. The rest of the children have parents Charles and Sara. Very helpfully all of the baptisms list Charles as goldsmith.
    I have what I think is Sara's burial in 1649. Charles' will of 1665 names his wife as Elizabeth.
    I cannot find marriages for any of these relationships. Spelling obviously varies quite a bit. Most of the baptisms are as Cokine or Cockine. I realize that the marriage to Elizabeth may have taken place in the Commonwealth period, but I have Charles' daughter Alice's marriage in 1654.
    Hopefully someone eagle-eyed can spot one or all of these marriages.

I am not sure if I am doing the right thing here - I am posting so you are aware there were TWO Charles Cockayne born London around the same time - I am presuming this is NOT your Charles as he marries a Mary Cullen O'Brien - this Charles Cockayne was the son of Sir William Cockayne - Lord Mayor of London

https://gw.geneanet.org/trakman?n=co...&oc=&p=charles

added - the Cockayne Coat of Arms

Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks Allan. Yes, I am aware of that family. That Charles is a second cousin or something like that. I'm fortunate in that Charles is mentioned in the family pedigree, but no other information than "goldsmith in London".
      I worked from the traditional end, tracing back. There seems to have been only one Charles Cokayne who was a goldsmith. I've been in touch with the goldsmith's company who gave me the information they hold on him.
      It's his marriages that have me stumped.

Comment

I can confirm that Sara/Sarah was buried in 1649; her burial entry says she was the wife of Charles Cokayne.
        There is an entry in St Andrew Holborn for an Elizabeth Cokayne, widow, buried in 1673.
        None of this helps with the marriages, but Sarah's death narrows down the possible time frame for Charles to marry Elizabeth: 1649 to 1665.

Comment

Looking again at the image for the baptism of Margaret in 1629, the entry each side of hers has a Sara as the mother. I can't help but wonder if the clerk has mistranscribed from his notes, and Margaret's mother was also Sara.
          Finding the marriage will answer this question.

Comment

On FMP There is a. Document Boyds Inhabitants of London gives a Charles Cockain b Beds, Goldsmith m Mary Thomond 1827 At St Giles. Died 1865. Buried St Andrews Holborn 1865. Will 1865

Vera

Comment

Thank you for that, Vera. I now of him, but wasn't aware he too was a goldsmith. I wonder why the Goldsmiths Company told me there was only one Charles Cokayne?

Added: I have also discovered the baptism of an Alexander to Charles and Sara in 1638, which makes me wonder if the marriage didn't take place earlier. It's curious there are no sons named after himself or his father.

Comment

Originally posted by pinefamily View Post
                thank you for that, vera. I now of him, but wasn't aware he too was a goldsmith. I wonder why the goldsmiths company told me there was only one charles cokayne?

Added: I have also discovered the baptism of an alexander to charles and sara in 1638, which makes me wonder if the marriage didn't take place earlier. It's curious there are no sons named after himself or his father.
                edit image_21679.jpg
                ​​​

Comment

Wow, thank you Vera. Where did you find that?
                  That makes things more muddled. If he married Mary Thomas in 1627, why does it clearly say Sara in the St Andrew Holborn baptisms?

Comment

Ah, I didn't read that properly. Mary Thomond, not Thomas. That page is factually incorrect. The parents and occupation are for "my" Charles, but the marriage is for Charles Cokayne, who became Viscount Cullen. Off the top of myhead I had mentioned above he was a second cousin to my Charles, but looking at my notes the connection is more remote.

Edit: I have just realized that page is the reference for the information you gave above. Whoever filled that out has mixed the two Charles Cokaynes together.
                    My Charles was the son of Nicholas and Jane, the other Charles who married Lady Mary O'Brien, daughter of the 5th Earl of Thomond was the son of Sir William Cokayne Lord Mayor of London.

Comment

I think I get it. So Lady Mary O'Brien and Mary Thomond the same person.

Image taken from a Boyds record.

Charles and Mary had a son Charles baptised at St Giles Cripplegate 9 April 1733.

So still looking for m for Charles to Diana, Sara and Elizabeth

Vera

Comment

The other Charles married Mary O'Brien/Thomond in 1627 as the Boyds record states.
                        still not sure about Diana, as the baptism either side of Margaret Cokayne's has Sara as the mother. So possibly a clerical error, unless of course a marriage or burial for a Diana pops up.
                        I really appreciate your help and interest.

Comment

Working...
                        X