Scottish pounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish pounds

Does anyone know if Scottish pounds were of equal value to English pounds in 1790s?
    Cath.

One website suggests that £12 Scots pound = £1 English pound - see snippet below.

Scottish money was abolished as a circulating currency at the Act of Union in 1707. However, the valued rent of land and, in many places, feu duties and ministers’ stipends, schoolmasters’ salaries, and other parochial payments were still reckoned by the pound Scots and the merk, or mark, for some considerable time after the union. However, payment was made in English pounds sterling.

Both the English and the Scottish pound were made up of 20 shillings, each of 12 pence. Thus there were 240 pence in a pound. But there were 12 Scots pounds to the English pound. The merk was two thirds of a Scottish pound, or 13 shillings and 4 pence. Information below sourced from www.thereformation.info/old_scottish_money.htm.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks. I looks like I'll have to get my calculator out.
      Cath.

Comment

isn't it saying that by the 1790s it was abolished, and was all the same.
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 21-07-21, 18:38.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I have a testament dative dated 1793 in Edinburgh. The document continues in 1796 after next of kin had been found which says ,,,,"Extending the said partial sum of five pounds in Scots money to sixty pounds."

It's difficult to read with many archaic legal terms but the bit about Scots pounds is quite clear.

I was hoping to work out what it might be worth today, hence my previous post re calculator.
          Cath.

Comment

they were converting it by other way around if the Scots money is the £5, odd.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

The way I read it is that the executor was originally granted £5 but she queried this sum as the deceased had been owed wages etc on his death . A court case followed in 1796 when the £5 was increased to £60, presumably also in Scots money.
              Cath.

Comment

Working...
              X