X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Names of England

Launching today:

English Heritage - Names of England

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jul/09/whats-in-the-england-teams-names-english-heritage-explains-all
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

ooooh that looks like fun!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just been playing with a couple of unusual names in my tree. Very interesting. Thanks Caroline.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I have seen this sort of thing before, wonder where they get the data? Good fun though

My Lugg is normally more common in Cornwall, they must have all moved to Devon
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Weird that. Three out of four of my primary names are most common in Carlisle. I haven’t any ancestors from Carlisle or surrounding areas.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
            Weird that. Three out of four of my primary names are most common in Carlisle. I haven’t any ancestors from Carlisle or surrounding areas.
            some of mine have been surprising, Shelton.. for one, from Shelton in Nottinghamshire... though mine came from Eastwood/Heanor/Derbyshire.
            Julie

Comment

I think they've used current records so the numbers and location probably mean nothing at all. Surname origins are cobbled together from various online surname databases and some paper dictionaries. I've asked where they got the data from, but don't anticipate a reply.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                I think they've used current records so the numbers and location probably mean nothing at all. Surname origins are cobbled together from various online surname databases and some paper dictionaries. I've asked where they got the data from, but don't anticipate a reply.
                typical...lol.. but it certainly makes you think about the surnames and where and how they came about.
                Julie

Comment

Had a play earlier, just for fun. My Bannisters, Atkinsons and Nutters are all in Lancs as expected.

Comment

Tells me my surname is Scottish (it can be, but not always and in my case is Irish in origin, from one of many spelling variations)......but a bit of fun
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by AntonyM View Post
                      Tells me my surname is Scottish (it can be, but not always and in my case is Irish in origin, from one of many spelling variations)......but a bit of fun
                      Ooh, wonder if it’s the same as mine? I got it from an Englishman whose paternal roots are firmly in England as far back as 1796-98. No Irish in that line from then till now despite what various ancestry trees will have you believe

Comment

Working...
                      X