Broken links between the Baker & Bemrose families

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken links between the Baker & Bemrose families

I have a series of bmd, census and probate records relating to a Charles Baker, they're not easy to explain as there's another surname that crops up (my beloved Goulson family!)

1868 marriage in Lincoln;
    Charles Baker, occ Whitesmith, full age, son of Charles Baker occ Coachman- spouse Mary Ann Askwith

1861 Census Lincoln
    Valentine Goulson, head age 42 Blacksmith
    Mary Goulson wife (nee Bemrose), age 42 born Hougham, Lincs
    Charles Baker, nephew, age 16 born London
    Martha Baker, sister, widow age 43, Hougham, Lincs

Marriage cert for Valentine to Mary in 1847 at Carrington, Notts notes her father as Joseph Bemrose, occ cordwainer

I looked in the 1851 for a Charles Baker abt 1845 with a father named Charles employed as a coachman and found the following;

Little Cadogan Place, Saint Luke Chelsea
    Charles Baker Head Married Male 48 1803 Coach man Long Lawford, Suffolk
    Martha Baker Wife Married Female 36 1815 - Offham, Lincolnshire
    Charles Baker Son - Male 6 1845 - Cleator, Middlesex, England

That's the fmp transcription, birthplace of son Charles is almost certainly wrong and poorly written on the image. I'm also querying the others, Long Lawford is Warwicks but there is a Lawford in Suffolk. I suspect "Offham" is actually Hougham

I then looked in the bmd for a Charles abt 1845 in London and found the following;
    Baker, Charles mmn BEMROSE GRO Reference: 1844 S Quarter in SAINT GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE Volume 01 Page 36

--

Initially I was thrown by the nephew reference in 1861 thinking there was an early Goulson/Baker marriage somewhere but there isn't one so wondered if there is a Bemrose/Baker marriage?

Sorry for the long winded post and I'm not sure if it even makes sense. I'm trying to fill the gaps and can't find the following records that might prove/disprove Mary and Martha as sisters;

Marriage of Charles Baker to Martha Bemrose
    Baptism of Martha Bemrose c1815 birth Offham/Hougham
    Baptism of Mary Bemrose c1820 birth Hougham

Mary or Martha in the 1841

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Glen you idiot; edit to to original post to add Martha as a sister in the household in 1861, I hadn't noticed her before

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

There are a Martha and Mary Bemrose living in Newton in Lincs on the 1842. Martha is 25, and Mary 20, but with the rounding down on that census might be your two.

Class: HO107; Piece: 621; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Newton; County: Lincolnshire; Enumeration District: 4; Folio: 5; Page: 5; Line: 11; GSU roll: 438758
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Just found this on Family Search - Miss Martha Bemrose marriage to "Miss" Chas Baker in 1843. Off to check the BNA

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
        Linda

Comment

Lincolnshire Chronicle 3 November 1843.

On 8th ult. at St Georges Hanover Square, London, Mr C Baker late head-coachman to the Lord Bishop of Lincoln at Riseholme Palace to Miss Martha Bemrose, head laundry maid in the family.
          Linda

Comment

Ooh I like that wedding announcement, Chas Baker, late head coachman to the Lord Bishop of Lincoln.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

1841 on FMP Martha and Mary BEMROD, Newton, Lincs on the Hodson household.
              I love fmp, they seem to pick random people in my tree and deliberately mangle every census transcription for them.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

On Ancestry there is a tree for both Martha and Mary Bemrose. According to this tree, Martha was born in 1817 in Hougham cum Marston in Lincolnshire, and Mary in 1819 in the same place to Joseph and Elizabeth Bemrose. On Family Search there are a number of children born around this time to Joseph and Elizabeth in Hougham and Welbourn, about 10 miles away. There is a Mary born in 1811, but I think she is too young to be your Mary. There is a picture of Mary on the tree.
                Linda

Comment

I don't subscribe to Ancestry now but just spotted Mary in several trees including one I avoid at all costs. I have no idea about the picture though I have a few in my collection, I wonder if it's been "borrowed" from there like so many others.

I keep going round in circles on FS and falling into the same Mary born 1812 died 1806....yes you did read that right, died 6 years before being born.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Found Mary's baptism in Hougham in 1819 on FMP

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.
                    Linda

Comment

Nice one, I've got the full set of census now plus marriage and death cert and bits and pieces about selling up the remains of her estate after she died. The baptism is the icing on the cake. I'll go trough the register for images of other Hougham events as I've got a few more around there.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

The Joseph and Elizabeth Bemrose having children in Welbourn is probably another couple. Your Joseph is a shoe-maker and the other one is a carpenter.
                        Linda

Comment

I'm just going to head through the registers image by image for anything of interest as there are a couple of families in that area and I may have missed something before now. I'm having no luck finding a GRO ref for the wedding of Charles to Martha. That must be horribly mangled in the index somewhere or the GRO lost it when compiling the index back in the day.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

County Lincolnshire
                            Place Lincoln
                            Church name St Swithin
                            Register type Parish Register
                            Register entry number 428
                            Burial date 07 May 1864
                            Burial person forename Martha
                            Relationship wife of
                            Male relative forename Charles
                            Female relative forename
                            Relative surname BAKER
                            Burial person surname
                            Person age 46
                            Burial person abode 11 Thorngate

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I found the marriage registrations for St Georges Hanover Square on Ancestry , and went through them last night, but there was no entry for Charles and Martha on 8 October 1843 - nothing for them at all as far as I could see (went back a few months and up to 3 Nov when the announcement was made). This might be why it is difficult to find them in the indexes.
                              Linda

Comment

I've been looking this morning and still having any luck, even comparing the images in the index to the scans of the index, freereg have the handwritten version, fmp have a typed version. I did keep looking at the freereg entry for Martha Burlace and I can see how that might have been mangled from the original but there isn't a Baker on the same page. There's bound to be a page with two or three missing entries and it will be them, or a missing page entirely. I can feel some good old fashioned trawling coming on and trying to find the likely page ranges.

Option B after that try to dodge GRO errors and use local registrars for that original document experience. .

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Possibly Charles Baker in 1841

Class: HO107; Piece: 453; Book: 2; Civil Parish: Buckden; County: Huntingdonshire; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 15; Page: 23; Line: 20; GSU roll: 288839

Until 1840-1841 The Bishop of Lincoln resided in Buckden in Huntingdonshire, which is why I think this could be Charles.
                                  Linda

Comment

I'll bet my shirt it's him based on the fact I used to live near there and the ghosts from my family tree seem to attract me to where they have been It's the old A1 that runs straight through the middle

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                                    X