Change of Surname from Ford to Turner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Surname from Ford to Turner

My great grandfather John FORD was born 9 May 1847 in Stratford, Essex, England. He could not be found in the 1851 census. In 1861 Census he is living with his parents John & Jane Ford in Bromley. In 1871 John TURNER a 23 year old boarder living in Teddington with an occupation as a plasterer and a birthplace of Stratford, Essex. On the 24 July 1872 John FORD marries Mary Selina Smith. His occupation on the marriage certificate was a plasterer. In the 1881 Census he is listed as John TURNER, aged 33, a plasterer born in Stratford. His children were all born with the surname FORD but are listed in 1881 as TURNERs.
    John FORD died in August 1881 died ; Occupation Plasterer. His wife Mary Selina and his children kept the surname TURNER. The family has always been mystified abut the name change. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

I have two families like this. I have never found any reason for it! It's not as though they abandon the original name altogether but just keep using both at various times. You never know how they will turn up on censuses and registrations.
    Anne

Comment

What is jane's maiden name? And are you sure you have the right parents? Father's name and occupation match the birth to marriage certs?

i have a name change that was unknown to my branch, but family lore survived down another. The name was changed to a step father's to avoid detection of the mother, when my ancestor joined the army underage in the 1850's.

i have another who dropped his surname once emmigrated and took his mother's name, also in the 1850's.

i also have family lore of a bankruptcy in london, prompting the family to move to leeds, where indeed in 1901 they are recorded under a different unconnected surname, and the husband's first name is different too. By 1911 the old name is back.

Comment

Stratford is West Ham reg. dist. and there was only one match on GRO.
        FORD, JOHN HUDSON
        GRO Reference: 1847 J Quarter in WEST HAM UNION Volume 12 Page 288

Comment

in modern times I have known people to have changed due to falling out with family, and names chosen maybe a bit random, one story was something like Woodman and he changed to Forrest. And interestingly they made it up and his father lived with him till his death.

Have you searched the newspapers? doubt it will turn up much.
          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-06-21, 13:36.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Was there an illegitimacy further back? My husband had 2 sets of ancestors who alternated between surnames due to a grandfather's illegitimacy. Another family I researched for someone changed their name as their father was hanged for murder.

Comment

have you traced both the parents? maybe fathers mother, that is where my interchangeable names came from.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Just parking this here. Name of TUNNER. I haven't had time to check it out as there are some obvious anomalies ie M0ther's name and a daughter, Margaret, I cannot find later on a census or a death but John, spouse and son John all born Stratford, Essex, England and living Bromley St Leonard on 1851 census. Probably a coincidence but worth looking at.

HO107; Piece: 1555; Folio: 426; Page: 5; GSU roll: 174787
                Name: John Tunner
                Born abt 1848
                Relation: Son
                Father's Name: John Tunner
                Mother's Name: Fanny Tunner
                Where born: Stratford, Essex, England
                Civil Parish: Bromley St Leonard
                County/Island: Middlesex

Registration District: Poplar
                Sub-registration District: Bow

Household Members:

John Tunner 29 b Stratford, Ess
                Fanny Tunner 24 ditto
                John Tunner 3 ditto
                Margaret Tunner 5 Old Ford, Middlesex
                Maria Mead 19
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

that looks interesting Kat, I have been wandering around trying to find the census,

I did a search on FMP to find more children with MMN Hudson in case there would be more in the 1851 census. Emma and Caroline both died before 1851, and Eliza was born after. Although Addresses on BC of Caroline and Eliza could pinpoint where they were.

Ford John 1847 West Ham, Essex, England
                  Ford Emma 1849 Poplar, London, England
                  Ford Caroline 1850 Poplar, London, England
                  Ford Eliza 1851 Poplar, London, England
                  Ford Alice 1854 Poplar, London, England
                  Ford Thomas Frederick 1854 Shoreditch, London, England - guessing this one is a big coincidence
                  Ford George Samuel 1856 Poplar, London, England
                  Ford Emily 1861 Poplar, London, England
                  Ford Harry James 1867 Poplar, London, England

Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Looks like you are onto something Katarzyna

FORD, CAROLINE HUDSON
                    GRO Reference: 1850 M Quarter in POPLAR UNION Volume 02 Page 341
                    FORD, ELIZA HUDSON
                    GRO Reference: 1851 D Quarter in POPLAR UNION Volume 02 Page 362
                    FORD, EMMA HUDSON
                    GRO Reference: 1849 M Quarter in POPLAR UNION Volume 02 Page 350

FORD, MARGARET HUDSON
                    GRO Reference: 1850 S Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY Volume 01 Page 91
                    FORD, ANN HUDSON
                    GRO Reference: 1845 J Quarter in ST. GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST. GEORGE BLOOMSBURY Volume 01 Page 75
                    FORD, ELIZABETH HUDSON
                    GRO Reference: 1846 D Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY Volume 01 Page 81

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-06-21, 20:09.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Good find Kat. I think.I have the deaths of John and Jane Non Comm burials Victoria Park Cemetery Hackney

John Ford 4 Reeve St Poplar aged 43 buried 2 Jan 1869
                      Jane Ford Love Lane, Rotherhithe aged 39 buried 28 June 1870 not sure about Rotherhithe that's South London

Vera

Comment

there are a couple of trees on Ancestry that I have found - one with a lot of certs:

and also I think the OP

Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Possible link to Kat's 1851 address Bow Common

Daughter Caroline b 1850 d 1850

City of London and Tower Hamlets Cemetery register

Caroline Ford 1 Bow Common Lane buried 8th August 1850 aged 8 months from Bromley parish

Vera

Comment

Just for completeness more births, bit confused by the 1841, married was 1843, not sure if it is a red herring

​​Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
                            FORD, FRANCES HUDSON
                            GRO Reference: 1841 S Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY Volume 01 Page 76
                            FORD, ANNIE MARY HUDSON
                            GRO Reference: 1856 J Quarter in SAINT JAMES WESTMINSTER Volume 01A Page 318
                            FORD, JULIA JANE HUDSON
                            GRO Reference: 1860 J Quarter in POPLAR UNION Volume 01C Page 579

Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

a burial for Frances in 1843 also, in St Giles
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                Good find Kat. I think.I have the deaths of John and Jane Non Comm burials Victoria Park Cemetery Hackney

Jane Ford Love Lane, Rotherhithe aged 39 buried 28 June 1870 not sure about Rotherhithe that's South London

Vera
                                did you see another Ford - James 2 lines below John in 1869 also in Love Lane, Rotherhithe age 15 months

Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

bit of a long shot, but there is a William ford b Stratford living with a John Ford widow

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=4658486

1851 census

Sub district West Ham
                                  Enumeration district 1E
                                  Archive reference HO107
                                  Piece number 1768
                                  Folio 446
                                  Page 25
                                  Schedule 81
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-06-21, 23:55.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                    Just for completeness more births, bit confused by the 1841, married was 1843, not sure if it is a red herring

​​Name: Mother's Maiden Surname:
                                    FORD, FRANCES HUDSON
                                    GRO Reference: 1841 S Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY Volume 01 Page 76
                                    FORD, ANNIE MARY HUDSON
                                    GRO Reference: 1856 J Quarter in SAINT JAMES WESTMINSTER Volume 01A Page 318
                                    FORD, JULIA JANE HUDSON
                                    GRO Reference: 1860 J Quarter in POPLAR UNION Volume 01C Page 579

Kat's census is 1851. Family living in Bow Common. Caroline Ford's burial record 1850 is Bow Common Lane

Can't download Julia Jane Ford's death to be able to decipher it easily. Tower Hamlets Cemetery 1860 Chrisp Street as in the 1861Census

The other areas are West end

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

did you see another Ford - James 2 lines below John in 1869 also in Love Lane, Rotherhithe age 15 months

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...rce&pId=279252
                                      Will check it out. Same address as that for Jane Ford's 1870 burial record.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

Vera
                                        The Jane Ford of Rotherhithe is married to Thomas Ford. James Ford B 1867 d 1869. Buried Tower Hamlets Cemetery. Same address Loves Lane.

Comment

Working...
                                        X