Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Louisa Doe?

Hello you lovely lot!

I am trying to find Louisa Doe on the 1891, 1901 & 1911 census. She is not with her husband on any of these so wondering if she is in a hospital somewhere or run off with someone else!?

Her husband Eli says he's married on these three census'.

She was born Louisa England, 1851, Milford Hampshire and died 1942 Christchurch Hampshire (I think). She married Eli Doe in 1872 Lymington Hampshire. They had 6 children - she doesn't appear with any of them on these census' either. I can find a Louisa Doe on the 1939 but with someone (I guess a son) called Job so I don't think this is her (there is another Doe / England marriage 2 years after Eli and Louisa)!

Any help or pointers appreciated

Thanks as always, Tessie

I can see that Eli had a brother Job, and he married Eliza Springer.

They had a Henry Job Doe in 1879 - could this be the man on the 1939 Register, have not searched elsewhere, so maybe different man.

Louisa dob can't be right though or the baptism transcription is wrong as it was in Feb 1851

Edit - have since found him on 1939 elsewhere, kind of feel that the Job is unusual enough to be part of the family. having said that she could be any louisa
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 27-06-21, 23:41.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
      I can see that Eli had a brother Job, and he married Eliza Springer.

They had a Henry Job Doe in 1879 - could this be the man on the 1939 Register, have not searched elsewhere, so maybe different man.

Louisa dob can't be right though or the baptism transcription is wrong as it was in Feb 1851

Edit - have since found him on 1939 elsewhere, kind of feel that the Job is unusual enough to be part of the family. having said that she could be any louisa
      Carolyn, thanks - that was my conclusion re:1939 that it probably isn't my Louisa. So where is she lol! I have tried lots of different searches on Ancestry - I think I'll have alook on FMP - see if that throws anything up!

Thanks

Comment

I haven't looked but have you just tried lou*** in the searchbox [as well as Doe obvs] my grt aunt was a Louisa but was known as Louie or maybe Lucy...
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just a thought when was the last child born? is it her child? [as in MMN from GRO] could she have remarried bigamously and husband was saying he was married to save face?
          Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            Just a thought when was the last child born? is it her child? [as in MMN from GRO] could she have remarried bigamously and husband was saying he was married to save face?
            The last child I know of from the 1891 census was born in 1883 and does have Louisa's MN. I'm going to try your suggestions with names to see if that brings up anything.

Tessie

Comment

Did Louisa's sister (Charlotte) marry Eli's brother (Moses)? Not that this helps find Louisa, I was checking the children with MMN
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                Did Louisa's sister (Charlotte) marry Eli's brother (Moses)? Not that this helps find Louisa, I was checking the children with MMN
                I don't think she has a sister called Charlotte - I think she is from a different family / part of the England family from the area!

Comment

No sibling named Charlotte on this ?
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

I don't think she has a sister called Charlotte - I think she is from a different family / part of the England family from the area!
                    funny that they were both in Lymington and had Doe/England name combo, have just spotted on someone esle's tree that they are related down the cousin route, just was an odd coincidence. Not that it helped anyway, managed to divide the births and there were no surprises.

just for info she is with her FiL in this one, William so not anything to do with you https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=24931518

I can't find your louisa, have tried all sorts, and also the papers.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Nor me. Tried every which way. Possibly in the Asylum Knowle Hospital, Fareham but then there would be a death. Not helped as you have found out Carolyn their being two Doe/England families.

The papers have a Louisa Doe in court as a witness for misdemenours by some of her children . She is possibly the Louisa in the 1939 accompanied with Job.

Vera

Comment

I suspect you have also tried Dowe/dough? and that also that doe is also used as a person that has no name.. ie Jane Doe.

very odd.
                        Julie

Comment

i tried louisa and no surname just dob and pob. the papers are very confusing as it brings up does! didn't try other spellings in the papers.

Like you say if he says Married then you feel she didn't die. if the 1939 Louisa is not her, then there are no sightings at all?
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Just checked newspaper Christchurch Times 14 April 1894. The witness was Louisa Doe a Hawker, wife of John Doe of Bransgore. EDIT they have a son Job dob 1878 in 1891 1884 in 1911.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                              Just checked newspaper Christchurch Times 14 April 1894. The witness was Louisa Doe a Hawker, wife of John Doe of Bransgore. EDIT they have a son Job dob 1878 in 1891 1884 in 1911.

Vera
                              so that's not tessies Louisa then? rats!
                              Julie

Comment

Hmmm, so she is either in some asylum/hospital and not accounted for or she's left and they didn't divorce or he didn't want to admit it? Do you think the 1942 death is her or this other Louisa?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                                  Hmmm, so she is either in some asylum/hospital and not accounted for or she's left and they didn't divorce or he didn't want to admit it? Do you think the 1942 death is her or this other Louisa?

Thanks
                                  tbh I think that the 1939 one is the one that had the husband John and son Job.. as per post #14 that Vera made. just a thought have you looked for a death or remarriage? though if Eli worked then he would have to have someone look after the family while he went to work?

But she is either institutionalised or dead or badly mangled..
                                  Julie

Comment

Do you have Eli's death pdf/cert? it may say that he was a widower of Louisa.. or husband of Louisa [which would then give you something to work with]

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Name: Eli Doe
                                    Death Age: 73
                                    Birth Date: abt 1846
                                    Registration Date: Oct 1919
                                    Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
                                    Registration District: Lymington
                                    Inferred County: Hampshire
                                    Volume: 2b
                                    Page: 787

I think that she's either institutionalised or incapacitated in some way, but if the latter why isn't she living with him on census, he seems to be very adamant that he's married, and that the daughter should be his housekeeper. Not sure, it's definitely a tough one!

Not really helped except to muddy the water a bit more.. sorry.
                                    Julie

Comment

Working...
                                    X