One Name Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Name Studies

I was already a member of the Surname Society but I finally bit the bullet yesterday and registered my One Name Study with the Guild of One Name Studies. I'd fiddled around with it since I started my research, but never registered it as I rather thought I'd not cope with all the enquiries and I also thought that the society made it very restrictive back then but either that has changed since they first began or I was wrong.

As the course won't be done again until next year, I'm doing the Introduction to One-Name Studies course with Pharos (it was rather spur of the moment, thank you Twitter!, and I missed the discount) and realised that I've already got a lot of info and can still handle the technical side and I hardly ever get any queries about the LEWCOCKS from my own site, so ..... a Category 1 study is officially under way. I need to do a lot more data collection, still I'm now committed. I'll need to do the next course as well.

I know some of you are looking closely at particular surnames, have you registered it? Any hints and tips for me or anyone else?

Did you know that there is also a Society for One-Place Studies? Pharos are doing a course for that as well. First Steps to a One-Place Study.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

For over eight years I acted as Research Manager for the East One Name Society (around 80 to 100 members at the time). We were registered with GOONS for many years but took the decision to unregister because we felt it just was not worth it. During my time as Research Manager we had no enquiries at all via GOONS. Also we were unhappy with the way GOONS was run.

The advantages of being a Society member were good, specially when access to data online was limited. We gathered huge databases of instances of the East surname in parish records, censuses, GRO, newspapers etc etc, and have extensive trees of the different groups (bearing in mind that East is a name of multiple origins). We started a successful y-DNA study with interesting results. We also formed a website for the benefit of members and attracting new members. We had lots of enquiries through that route!

Sorry to cast a dampener, Caroline. As you say, hopefully they have improved and are no longer just a Society for the sake of the Society, which was our experience.

If anyone wants any tips or details on how we collected our data I'm happy to help.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      For over eight years I acted as Research Manager for the East One Name Society (around 80 to 100 members at the time). We were registered with GOONS for many years but took the decision to unregister because we felt it just was not worth it. During my time as Research Manager we had no enquiries at all via GOONS. Also we were unhappy with the way GOONS was run.

The advantages of being a Society member were good, specially when access to data online was limited. We gathered huge databases of instances of the East surname in parish records, censuses, GRO, newspapers etc etc, and have extensive trees of the different groups (bearing in mind that East is a name of multiple origins). We started a successful y-DNA study with interesting results. We also formed a website for the benefit of members and attracting new members. We had lots of enquiries through that route!

Sorry to cast a dampener, Caroline. As you say, hopefully they have improved and are no longer just a Society for the sake of the Society, which was our experience.

If anyone wants any tips or details on how we collected our data I'm happy to help.

Anne
      I did have some reservations, but It appears to have "improved" in recent years and is less restrictive now, since I first investigated, but I'll see how it goes.
      The name is not rare but isn't that common unlike East! Although the main variant of Lucock has to form part of it. I'll certainly ask if I get stuck.
      Caroline
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Does anyone else feel tempted to start their own ONS even on small scale?

Maybe it might be worth creating a board for this. There is a lot of help already out there but it still might be worthwhile to have a discussion/advice area here as well as collecting up links to resources/societies/help.
        Caroline

Comment

Using my experiences with the East Family History Society I also did a One Name Study of my granny's surname ARRAND (which also morphed into Harrand and Arran).

There is a 'Big Tree' for Arrands which someone had made available in the 1970s. My study firmed that up and corrected some errors. I was also investigating whether all the people in the UK (very largely North Lincs and South Yorkshire) with the Arrand (Harrand/Arran) surname were related. As far as I can see they are!! The only ones who did not connect to the tree were some people in London whose name had originally been Aaron, of Jewish ancestry I think. And a group in south Wales whose original surname had bee Haron from Ireland.

Now DNA connections to the USA have followed the name to Utah and we already knew about the emigration of two Arrand sisters in the late 1800s.

Anne

Comment

I did register my "Lewcock including Lucock eventually" study while doing the first course as it seemed daft not to since my brother and I had collected so much information already, and I have just completed the follow on course Practicalities of a One Name Study (903) with Pharos too.

In some ways I didn't learn much as I was already confident using the software side of things, but it sent me to actually seriously tackle the subject and gave me lots of ideas on organisation and recording data - it also spurred me on to do what I knew needed doing - recording source/citations more rigorously and introduced me to one or two new useful software programs. It also means I am using the new features of Family Historian which I was only scraping the surface with before.

I will also probably take advantage of the Guild's free hosting further down the line.

I have given myself a huge amount of work, but as they they say:

eating-an-elephant.jpg
            Caroline

Comment

I don't think I have a surname that is 'small' enough. Lugg would probably be the best bet, wouldn't know where to start and what it would bring to me.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                I don't think I have a surname that is 'small' enough. Lugg would probably be the best bet, wouldn't know where to start and what it would bring to me.
                Maybe some contacts - some people do it as cousin bait? Certainly the satisfaction of having collected them all up and matching the families together even without going the whole hog and registering it anywhere.

I want to know how all the Lewcocks (Lucocks) are related - there are small pockets in clear locations, and bring them up to the present day. I haven't researched some groups thoroughly, only those directly linked to our line so far.
                Caroline

Comment

I would just start by gauging how many Luggs there are/were. Look on successive censuses and births from 1837. If there are only a few births (0 to about 5) in each quarter you probably have a good chance of gathering information without being overwhelmed. Then I set about 'collecting' all the BDMs and baptisms I could find. I entered them onto an Excel spread sheets with columns left free for notes and parents/spouses when found. From memory I think we had around 10,000 of each of birth, marriage and deaths for East. I only had around 2000 of each for ARRAND.

The fun starts when you begin to build trees and join the trees together. Maybe they all join or maybe the name arose in multiple locations. I only started building trees in earnest when I had gathered a huge amount of data. Haha, I'm a list person! I found it fascinating!

Anne

Comment

It's something I might consider when I retire, it would have to be one of my less common surnames like Kippax or Burnip though!

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                      It's something I might consider when I retire, it would have to be one of my less common surnames like Kippax or Burnip though!
                      That's funny Jill, Kippax is one of the places the ARRANDs lived in the 1600s! LOL
                      Anne

Comment

I have registered with the society, but not registered a name yet. I have too many things on the go at the moment and feel to do this justice and do it properly, it would just take up too much of my time. It’s certainly something that I would like to do in the future, maybe a retirement project!
                        My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

I gave up with GOONS many years ago and feel the standards have dropped over the years, not withstanding things like the claims that it was not mandatory to register births in England and Wales prior to 1874. There's a surname in my tree that always exceeds the freebmd limit unless it's filtered to spans of about 10 years though it's a name registered with less than 700 examples. I have almost 300 examples in my tree spread from London to the Scottish Border covering just 200 years and really do wonder how on earth the study submitted ever made it to the society.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                            I gave up with GOONS many years ago and feel the standards have dropped over the years, not withstanding things like the claims that it was not mandatory to register births in England and Wales prior to 1874. There's a surname in my tree that always exceeds the freebmd limit unless it's filtered to spans of about 10 years though it's a name registered with less than 700 examples. I have almost 300 examples in my tree spread from London to the Scottish Border covering just 200 years and really do wonder how on earth the study submitted ever made it to the society.
                            Your judgement seems rather harsh and sweeping!

A one name study is whatever the member decides it is to be and there are different "levels" i.e. they can effectively be works in progress.

Where are you seeing the comment about registration?
                            Caroline

Comment

The comment is somewhere within their website and oft quoted/linked as support by those who choose to forget the Civil Registration Act of 1836. Offhand I can't give a link to the page as I pretty much gave up after seeing it used as 'evidence' though it was nothing more than an unsourced comment within their site.
                              I do find it frustrating and confusing to see some common names/studies registered for a county when my attempts over the years to register an unusual name with 200 examples has been rejected due to showing only records from two areas, that's how the family are. Perhaps they've changed the criteria but my last attempt was about 4 years ago and met with the same response as the earlier attempts.
                              http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                              My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                              My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                                The comment is somewhere within their website and oft quoted/linked as support by those who choose to forget the Civil Registration Act of 1836. Offhand I can't give a link to the page as I pretty much gave up after seeing it used as 'evidence' though it was nothing more than an unsourced comment within their site.
                                I do find it frustrating and confusing to see some common names/studies registered for a county when my attempts over the years to register an unusual name with 200 examples has been rejected due to showing only records from two areas, that's how the family are. Perhaps they've changed the criteria but my last attempt was about 4 years ago and met with the same response as the earlier attempts.
                                I'd have thought it worthwhile looking again at what they have to offer and the expectations, particularly as the website/Guild has undergone serious change lately..

https://one-name.org/how-do-i-register-a-one-name-study/

https://one-name.org/getting-started-with-a-one-name-study/
                                Caroline

Comment

There are other One Name Studies besides the Guild. WikiTree has one

Comment

To be quite blunt I don't see the point of registering. Not sure of any advantage to me at all. My One Name Arrand tree is public on Ancestry and I have attached no end of data too, so that people can benefit from my research.
                                    Anne

Comment

At one time I had thought of registering my Filbrick/Philbrick/Philbrook name but decided against it. There is a one-name study registered on WikiTree but it's all US based (a Philbrick sailed on the Mayflower). In England, except for a small pocket in Colchester, I've connected most of them to me. I collected the information a few years ago and it probably needs updating - there's a lot more information available now. Should be an interesting project!
                                      Jenny

Comment

Working...
                                      X