One Name Studies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Name Studies

I was already a member of the Surname Society but I finally bit the bullet yesterday and registered my One Name Study with the GOONS. I'd fiddled around with it since I started my research, but never registered it as I rather thought I'd not cope with all the enquiries and I also thought that the society made it very restrictive back then but either that has changed since they first began or I was wrong.

As the course won't be done again until next year, I'm doing the Introduction to One-Name Studies course with Pharos (it was rather spur of the moment, thank you Twitter!, and I missed the discount) and realised that I've already got a lot of info and can still handle the technical side and I hardly ever get any queries about the LEWCOCKS from my own site, so ..... a Category 1 study is officially under way. I need to do a lot more data collection, still I'm now committed. I'll need to do the next course as well.

I know some of you are looking closely at particular surnames, have you registered it? Any hints and tips for me or anyone else?

Did you know that there is also a Society for One-Place Studies? Pharos are doing a course for that as well. First Steps to a One-Place Study.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

For over eight years I acted as Research Manager for the East One Name Society (around 80 to 100 members at the time). We were registered with GOONS for many years but took the decision to unregister because we felt it just was not worth it. During my time as Research Manager we had no enquiries at all via GOONS. Also we were unhappy with the way GOONS was run.

The advantages of being a Society member were good, specially when access to data online was limited. We gathered huge databases of instances of the East surname in parish records, censuses, GRO, newspapers etc etc, and have extensive trees of the different groups (bearing in mind that East is a name of multiple origins). We started a successful y-DNA study with interesting results. We also formed a website for the benefit of members and attracting new members. We had lots of enquiries through that route!

Sorry to cast a dampener, Caroline. As you say, hopefully they have improved and are no longer just a Society for the sake of the Society, which was our experience.

If anyone wants any tips or details on how we collected our data I'm happy to help.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
      For over eight years I acted as Research Manager for the East One Name Society (around 80 to 100 members at the time). We were registered with GOONS for many years but took the decision to unregister because we felt it just was not worth it. During my time as Research Manager we had no enquiries at all via GOONS. Also we were unhappy with the way GOONS was run.

The advantages of being a Society member were good, specially when access to data online was limited. We gathered huge databases of instances of the East surname in parish records, censuses, GRO, newspapers etc etc, and have extensive trees of the different groups (bearing in mind that East is a name of multiple origins). We started a successful y-DNA study with interesting results. We also formed a website for the benefit of members and attracting new members. We had lots of enquiries through that route!

Sorry to cast a dampener, Caroline. As you say, hopefully they have improved and are no longer just a Society for the sake of the Society, which was our experience.

If anyone wants any tips or details on how we collected our data I'm happy to help.

Anne
      I did have some reservations, but It appears to have "improved" in recent years and is less restrictive now, since I first investigated, but I'll see how it goes.
      The name is not rare but isn't that common unlike East! Although the main variant of Lucock has to form part of it. I'll certainly ask if I get stuck.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

Comment

Working...
      X