Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little mystery to get your teeth into!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little mystery to get your teeth into!

I came across a newspaper death notice “on 28th ult. at Barton, Samuel Peck, bricklayer, aged 65 years, who came to his death through falling off a house and breaking his ribs” [Luton Times and Advertiser 09 May 1868]

This was of interest to me because very many of my Peck ancestors were bricklayers in Barton, Bedfordshire and I had never come across this Samuel.

I do have a George Peck who died on 30th April 1868, aged 61 and was a bricklayer. The Probate just says he died at Barton (le Clay) where he lived.

Now here’s the mystery. There is no death registered for a Samuel Peck aged 65 in Bedfordshire in 1868. There is also no sign of a Samuel Peck of that age in the 1851 or 1861 census. The closest is my 2x great grand uncle Samuel who was born in 1795 and lived until 1887.

I do suspect that it might be my George Peck but if so the newspaper report would be wrong in name, date of death and age! Surely not?

Before I get George’s death certificate out of curiosity does anyone want to have a go at seeing if they can find Samuel or any other report of the accident?

Anne

I've been looking, Anne, but cant find anything as yet sorry.
    Jacky

Comment

I've also had a go and not been able to find anything. Lots of family trees, all having George dying on 30th April but none seem to have got the death certificate. It does seem quite likely that Samuel is George, and someone made a mistake when placing the announcement.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Me too. Can see Samuel's report on FMP. Have looked for someone getting it perhaps correct with George but nothing coming up.

Vera

Comment

Really odd isn't it? We're used to newspapers getting it wrong but on 3 separate facts seems a bit much? I would have thought there would have been an inquest too. Thank you very much for looking everyone. I'll get the death certificate and see what it says.
          Anne

Comment

Just to update you I got the death certificate just now. As we suspected it was my George Peck:
            30th April 1868 at Barton / George Peck / male / 61 years / master bricklayer / 1. fractured ribs 2. exhaustion / death registered on 4th May 1868.

So there was no inquest and without the newspaper it would not have been clear how he fractured his ribs. However the newspaper did get it wrong on three counts! Maybe a lesson in checking facts from newspapers? I believe in those days many of these notices in newspapers were not put in by the family but gleaned from local sources.

Anne

Comment

Glad you got it, Anne and had it clarified he was your man.
              Jacky

Comment

It’s a great feeling when puzzles are solved. Glad to hear you got a good result.

Comment

Nice to have a mystery solved
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

https://gw.geneanet.org/pattisalt92?...&oc=2&p=samuel

in case you haven't seen it - goes back to 1731
                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks for that. I have collaborated with Patti Salter in the past. I haven't seen this particular site though. I see she also hadn't found the cause of his death either. How did you come across it? thanks very much for searching if you were doing it for me!

Anne

Comment

I drive through Barton a lot, ( I have a shelf of things for sale in Hexton) not sure if I can offer any assistance on the ground. There is a library there, and a church. The library does have a few local history books as have sat in there when I used to be waiting around for husband when he was at Lister on dialysis.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thanks for the offer Carolyn. I'll remember to ask you if I think of anything local. We have been down to Bedfordshire a few times over the last few years and got photos of churches, graves etc. The Archive in Bedford is helpful but they are very reluctant to let you view the actual PRs before 1812, which were transcribed by the BFHS many years ago. You get to look at the transcription books because the actual records were not filmed as far as I know. Sigh .... one day they might come online!!! To be honest I would even be happy to see the transcription books online for a start. I do have one or two parish CDs from the BFHS but they are just images of the transcription books.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                            Thanks for the offer Carolyn. I'll remember to ask you if I think of anything local. We have been down to Bedfordshire a few times over the last few years and got photos of churches, graves etc. The Archive in Bedford is helpful but they are very reluctant to let you view the actual PRs before 1812, which were transcribed by the BFHS many years ago. You get to look at the transcription books because the actual records were not filmed as far as I know. Sigh .... one day they might come online!!! To be honest I would even be happy to see the transcription books online for a start. I do have one or two parish CDs from the BFHS but they are just images of the transcription books.

Anne
                            are these the ones at the library? I did start look at Dunstable library for Elaine just before lockdown, and husband was ready to go, will return there one day, there is a fabric shop there too...

I guess they are the same as the one on Archive.org
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Oh my goodness. Yes those are what you can see in the archives and on the CDs. I had no idea the archives had them to view online. Blimey, feel a right numpty now. Is it just some parishes, or are they all available. Thank you very much!
                              Anne

Comment

Oh my goodness. Yes those are what you can see in the archives and on the CDs. I had no idea the archives had them to view online. Blimey, feel a right numpty now. Is it just some parishes, or are they all available. Thank you very much!
                                Anne
                                Ooh thought you knew they were there, I have found them previously, pleased to have helped. I have no idea how or why they ended up on archive.org

I think these maybe what is in the library, I can see that is number 10 of 75 and is in Florida Library - makes me chuckle, did someone take it on their holidays and leave it there as they had read it
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

I've found them all now, looks as if all the parishes are there. Thank you so much, this didn't come up with Googling so I would likely never have found it. Still not as good as the proper records but much, much, much better than very little!
                                  Anne

Comment

Thanks for that. I have collaborated with Patti Salter in the past. I haven't seen this particular site though. I see she also hadn't found the cause of his death either. How did you come across it? thanks very much for searching if you were doing it for me!

Anne
                                    I was looking for you - but I was also fascinated by the tree going back to Baptism 23rd March 1566 in Shillington - Thomas Bacon - AND - 5 years after Francis Bacon - 1561 in St Albans ....The Lord Chancellor of England - 20 miles from Shillington - and wondered if they may possibly be related - ?? maybe someone more experienced than me could have a look for you ??
                                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks for looking, as you can see I got the death certificate which solved it! Sorry I have no knowledge of Francis Bacon's origins.
                                      Anne

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

are these the ones at the library? I did start look at Dunstable library for Elaine just before lockdown, and husband was ready to go, will return there one day, there is a fabric shop there too...

I guess they are the same as the one on Archive.org
                                        https://archive.org/details/bedfords...l&view=theater
                                        WOW!! Thank you again Carolyn. All the Bedfordshire PR books were on free download so I have spent so far today downloading all 44 books. Yes, they are just abbreviated transcriptions and only up to 1812 but that's just what I would see at the Archive. Soooo chuffed about this!! I have made a donation to the Internet Archive organisation.
                                        Anne

Comment

Working...
                                        X