Help please for further details of my family - Johnston and Harrower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
    On SP there were no baptisms for a May Harrower in the Roman Catholic indexes or Other Churches. These three are the only matches in Church of Scotland. Alloa is Clackmannanshire and Culross is Fife.
    Surname Forename Parents/ Other Details Gender Date Parish Number Ref Parish
    HARROWER MAY JAMES HARROWER/ELIZABETH WHYTE F 27/12/1772 465/ 40 305 Alloa
    HARROWER MAY JAMES HARROWER/JEAN ALEXANDER F 27/01/1782 465/ 50 128 Alloa
    HARROWER MAY JOHN HARROWER/ISABEL WATT F 27/11/1764 343/ 20 473 Culross
    Of the three possibilities listed, I felt May Harrower b. 1782 the most likely, as she would have been 22 yrs old on marriage. The other two would have been 32 yrs and 39 yrs respectively.....not impossible of course. However, I looked at the 1782 birth on SP and found the father, James was a shoe maker.

Details as follows:
    27/01/1782 HARROWER, MAY (Old Parish Registers Births 465/ 50 128 Alloa) Page 128 of 331

May, Lawful daughter to Jas. Harrower , Shoe Maker in Alloa and Jean Alexander his spouse, Born the 21st January and Baptized the 27th Do 1782.

Have saved the image and can email it to you if you PM an address.

Beverley

Comment

You guys are incredibly helpful, thank you so much, i would've thought the same re her age. I'll have to get the wedding certificate.

I will check up on my paternal grandfather's side that the info is right. On my maternal side a lady that had done it for her friend (my mum's cousin) checked it all. But agree that it can be a hindrance people making changes to your tree that may be wrong! But helpful clues to check.

Comment

As per the incredibly hard to read 1841 census, I think this could be your William and May Johnston's English-born children. I have found the baptismal records of Alexander, John, Jess and Grace at the Presbyterian Chapel Miles Lane Chapel Canon St. . Unfortunately, they do not give the MMN or father’s occupation, so it is hard to confirm I have the right family.

Alexander Fletcher Johnston, b.17 May 1814; bap.23 Jun 1814. Fletcher was the name of the officiating minister.
        John Johnston, b. 1 Jul 1818; bap ?3 Jul 1818
        Jess Johnston, b. 18 Oct 1820; bap 12 Nov 1820
        Grace Johnston, b. 29 Mar 1824; bap 2 May 1824

It is possible there was a still birth in Edinburgh 19 Oct 1807, also a son James b. 2 Aug 1806, which would fill in the gap between the birth of William and Margaret. There was also a 12 Jan 1806 still birth, reg St Cuthbert's Edinburgh, father William Johnston which may or may not be yours. Don't know if James b. 2 Aug 1806 survived.....all those births may be too close together to be the same family

Beverley

Comment

Working...
        X