Help please for further details of my family - Johnston and Harrower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please for further details of my family - Johnston and Harrower

Managed to get as far back as 1800 with a line of my family tree via Family Search. I have a William Johnston born around 1770 and May Harrower. They married in Edinburgh 5 March 1804 - a friend had helped me with the wedding date a year ago but i can't now seem to find it on Family Search. They then lived in London. Just wondering if any of you helpful peeps have access to other sites that may give DOB for either of them so i can possibly get further back? I'm a bit hit and miss at doing this tree due to time restraints but as i'm visiting Edinburgh in a week or so would be good if i could get any further details! Many thanks

On SP there were no baptisms for a May Harrower in the Roman Catholic indexes or Other Churches. These three are the only matches in Church of Scotland. Alloa is Clackmannanshire and Culross is Fife.
    Surname Forename Parents/ Other Details Gender Date Parish Number Ref Parish
    HARROWER MAY JAMES HARROWER/ELIZABETH WHYTE F 27/12/1772 465/ 40 305 Alloa
    HARROWER MAY JAMES HARROWER/JEAN ALEXANDER F 27/01/1782 465/ 50 128 Alloa
    HARROWER MAY JOHN HARROWER/ISABEL WATT F 27/11/1764 343/ 20 473 Culross

Comment

There are lots of matches for William Johnston (and variants) 1768 - 1772 so I have limited them to Midlothian which includes Edinburgh City, the surrounding areas of West and East Lothian plus the counties where there were matches for May Harrower.

OTHER CHURCHES EAST LOTHIAN. NO MATCHES IN OTHER SEARCHES COUNTIES
      Surname Forename Parents/ Other Details Birth Date Baptism Date Parish/Congregation Name
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM WILLIAM JOHNSTON 12 DECEMBER 1769 EAST BARNS ASSOCIATE
      CHURCH OF SCOTLAND MIDLOTHIAN
      Surname Forename Parents/ Other Details Gender Date Parish Number Ref Parish
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM JAMES JOHNSTON/JEAN THOMSON FR2332 (FR2332) M 04/04/1771 685/2 80 450 St Cuthbert's
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM JAMES JOHNSTON/ANN PEASTON FR2318 (FR2318) M 04/11/1770 685/2 80 422 St Cuthbert's
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM JOHN JOHNSTON/CHRISTIAN JOHNSTON FR2325 (FR2325) M 31/01/1771 685/2 80 436 St Cuthbert's
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM JAMES JOHNSTON/JEAN BLYTH FR2302 (FR2302) M 09/04/1770 685/2 80 389 St Cuthbert's
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM WILLIAM JOHNSTON/MARGARET DAVIDSON FR2835 (FR2835) M 26/04/1772 685/3 90 363 Canongate
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM THOMAS JOHNSTON/BEATRIX COOK FR1947 (FR1947) M 01/09/1771 692/2 60 366 Leith South
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM WILLIAM JOHNSTON/ELIZABETH LYON FR1922 (FR1922) M 11/03/1770 692/2 60 316 Leith South
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM BRUGH JOHN JOHNSTON/JANET MILLER FR1941 (FR1941) M 05/05/1771 692/2 60 355 Leith South
      JOHNSTONE WILLIAM WILLIAM JOHNSTONE/ELIZABETH FERGUSON FR8791 (FR8791) M 12/01/1770 685/1 330 177 Edinburgh
      JOHNSTONE WILLIAM ROBERT JOHNSTONE/HELLEN STEVENSON FR8861 (FR8861) M 10/02/1771 685/1 330 316 Edinburgh
      CHURCH OF SCOTLAND EAST LOTHIAN
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM CHARLES JOHNSTON/ELSPETH DUDGEON FR406 (FR406) M 16/10/1768 709/ 40 187 Haddington
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM GEORGE JOHNSTON/MARGARET SLIGHT FR474 (FR474) M 02/07/1769 706/ 30 8 Dunbar
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM ROBERT JOHNSTON/AGNES MILL FR480 (FR480) M 14/12/1771 706/ 30 14 Dunbar
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM JOHN JOHNSTON/MARY PATERSON FR1525 (FR1525) M 07/06/1768 718/ 50 136 Prestonpans
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM HOME WILLIAM JOHNSTON/JANET FOREMAN FR1547 (FR1547) M 30/12/1770 718/ 50 158 Prestonpans
      CHURCH OF SCOTLAND WEST LOTHIAN
      JOHNSON WILLIAM JOHN JOHNSON/MARTHA GRAY FR840 (FR840) M 14/10/1770 663/ 30 261 Bo'Ness
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM JAMES JOHNSTON/JEAN DUNCAN FR1521 (FR1521) M 17/04/1768 668/ 40 242 Linlithgow
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM JAMES JOHNSTON/HELEN HILL FR542 (FR542) M 02/04/1769 664/ 30 139 Carriden
      CHURCH OF SCOTLAND FIFE
      JOHNSTON WILLIAM WILLIAM JOHNSTON/CHRISTIAN CHRISTY M 21/02/1768 436/ 20 276 Kilconquhar
      NO MATCHES FOR CHURCH OF SCOTLAND CLACKMANNANSHIRE
      NO MATCHES FOR ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

Comment

I note you say you are intending to visit Edinburgh in the next few weeks. Are you aware that the SP centre search rooms are still closed to all but business users? The Historical Search Room upstairs has limited opening. Please see here for the latest news ScotlandsPeople | Connecting Generations

Comment

On Family Search Scotland's Marriages 1561-1910

There are transcriptions for May Harrow and Mary Harraw m Edinburgh 05 March 1804
          Husband Wlliam Johnson
          Father James

No image or dob

That marriage is on SP for which you have to buy credits. May not give any extra info however

Vera

Comment

Hi - Thank you so much. I didn't know if there was any of the census info from one of the other Geneology sites that may have given their dob to confirm the parents. They lived in London after marrying in Edinburgh and had a son William (who later used the middle name of Harrower for his child) and a daughter Margaret. When we visit Edinburgh it was more if i could have got an address from any census but i'll need to get the parents names first anyway! thanks for your help

Comment

p.s they had their children whilst still living in Edinburgh, he was born 10/12/1804 and Margaret on 18/06/08 but later were living in London on the census from 1851 and on.

Comment

Have you got them on any censuses?

Comment

Hi, apologies, i did it a while ago and have just picked up on it again with knowing I'm going up to Edinburgh. It was his son that i got confused with. He was born in Scotland but i have him on the censuses in England for living in London 1841 onwards So the William and May (nee Harrower) I originally enquired about may have stayed in Edinburgh. I've googled about the census from early 1800s but sounds like there's not many records available? Sorry, for the confusion and thank you again for your help.

Comment

Could this be May / Mary’s burial? There’s no age given nor anything to show her marital status but it’s the only match I found in Edinburgh City.

Church of Scotland - no matches in Roman Catholic or Other Churches indexes. I searched from 1808 when her daughter Margaret was born to 1855 which is as far as the OPRs go. There’s no entry for a woman of the surname Johnston (or variants) with a ms of Harrower (or variants) from then onwards in civil registration indexes.
                    HARROWAR MARY ----- F 01/04/1814 685/3 240 527 Canongate

Comment

I tried narrowing the search to Canongate area only in the hope of finding William. Of the ones where an age at death was given, none fitted a man born c.1770. There were two possibilities in the same format as the entry above. Whether it’s the same man entered twice or two different people, you’d have to buy the two entries to be sure.
                      JOHNSTON WILLIAM ----- M 31/05/1819 685/3 300 353 Canongate
                      JOHNSTON WILLIAM ----- M 31/05/1819 685/3 310 277 Canongate

Comment

Thank you once again, you're so helpful. On other sites, such as ancestry, if another person is looking at the same family does the tree appear on your own log in, such as with Family Search? I was lucky on my 2 grandfather's sides as other people had completed it! This is a big learning curve for me and the miss spellings of the names etc don't help!

Comment

Originally posted by mrspink View Post
                          ​​I was lucky on my 2 grandfather's sides as other people had completed it! This is a big learning curve for me and the miss spellings of the names etc don't help!
                          ancestry is made up of individual trees by users. I know familysearch encourages a big world tree system. To view the ancestry trees you need to be a member, or using the library system from home. Is that still running in england?

my other advice to you is never believe what you see on other people's trees as correct, complete or true. Unless they are incredibly well researched and sources are included- even then people make big mistakes. Never consider a line "complete" just because someone has researched it. You need to do the research yourself to see if what you've found is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by mrspink View Post
                            Hi, apologies, i did it a while ago and have just picked up on it again with knowing I'm going up to Edinburgh. It was his son that i got confused with. He was born in Scotland but i have him on the censuses in England for living in London 1841 onwards So the William and May (nee Harrower) I originally enquired about may have stayed in Edinburgh. I've googled about the census from early 1800s but sounds like there's not many records available? Sorry, for the confusion and thank you again for your help.
                            Is this the son of William and May?
                            ​​​William Johnson, a Baker living in London married in London to Margaret Fair 1830. No.fathers' name on marriage record. They are together with children at various London addresses 1841 and 1851. William b EDIT Berwickshire, Margaret b Coldingham, Berwickshire.

EDIT not correct for William with father William mother May. He was born 1804 Edinburgh.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

ancestry is made up of individual trees by users. I know familysearch encourages a big world tree system. To view the ancestry trees you need to be a member, or using the library system from home. Is that still running in england?

my other advice to you is never believe what you see on other people's trees as correct, complete or true. Unless they are incredibly well researched and sources are included- even then people make big mistakes. Never consider a line "complete" just because someone has researched it. You need to do the research yourself to see if what you've found is correct.
                              The above is VERY true. Also bear in mind that one erroneous tree on an internet site may have been viewed and then pirated by many others, who have also added that "fact" to their own online tree. So, just because you come across 20+ online trees with the same fact, it doesn't mean that that piece of information is proven, even if it does appear to have a census return or family event attached to it. There are some real horror stories on online trees, showing people haven't checked the basics - wrong father's name on marriage record, wrong place of birth on census returns. My worst find was one chap being recorded in three different locations on the same census and he was recorded as simultaneously having had three wives and three sets of children. He wasn't a bigamist as indicated by the tree - three separate men with the same name and of similar ages had been confused; subsequent census returns consistently showed each man had a different place of birth and the marriage records for each man evinced different fathers' names. It started with one person mangling a tree and then, over the next few months, the same "facts" were copied and added to other trees. Take everything read online as a possibility, but don't accept it as fact unless you can prove it and eliminate other possibilities.

Jay

Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                On Family Search Scotland's Marriages 1561-1910

There are transcriptions for May Harrow and Mary Harraw m Edinburgh 05 March 1804
                                Husband Wlliam Johnson
                                Father James

No image or dob

That marriage is on SP for which you have to buy credits. May not give any extra info however

Vera
                                I had some SP credits, so looked at this marriage:05/03/1804 JOHNSTON, WILLIAM (Old Parish Registers Marriages 685/1 530 137 Edinburgh) Page 137 of 372

William Johnston, grocer, New Grayfriars Parish and Mary Harrow Cuthberts Parish, Daughter of James Harrow Shoe Maker in Alloa

Mary and May are often interchangeable.
                                I can send you the image if you PM me an email address

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post

I had some SP credits, so looked at this marriage:05/03/1804 JOHNSTON, WILLIAM (Old Parish Registers Marriages 685/1 530 137 Edinburgh) Page 137 of 372

William Johnston, grocer, New Grayfriars Parish and Mary Harrow Cuthberts Parish, Daughter of James Harrow Shoe Maker in Alloa

Mary and May are often interchangeable.
                                  I can send you the image if you PM me an email address
                                  Well found Macbev Looks like the first of the three in my OPR baptisms list for May will be the likely one.

Comment

The marriage also appears with a different reference. Would be worth trying that one too in case it has more about William.
                                    Surname
                                    JOHNSTON
                                    Forename
                                    WILLIAM
                                    Spouse Name
                                    MAY HARROW/FRMR4-51
                                    Date
                                    05/03/1804
                                    Parish Number
                                    685/1
                                    Ref
                                    530 0
                                    Parish
                                    Edinburgh

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                      The marriage also appears with a different reference. Would be worth trying that one too in case it has more about William.
                                      Surname
                                      JOHNSTON
                                      Forename
                                      WILLIAM
                                      Spouse Name
                                      MAY HARROW/FRMR4-51
                                      Date
                                      05/03/1804
                                      Parish Number
                                      685/1
                                      Ref
                                      530 0
                                      Parish
                                      Edinburgh
                                      Mmm.............I wasted 6 credits on that one, before tried the second reference. All it showed was a sort of cover page, detailing stuff about the microfilming . Nothing of any practical use

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post

Mmm.............I wasted 6 credits on that one, before tried the second reference. All it showed was a sort of cover page, detailing stuff about the microfilming . Nothing of any practical use
                                        What a bummer! Ask SP for a refund of the credits, they are pretty good with doing that.

Comment

Working...
                                        X