My Colourful Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Colourful Ancestry

Spotted this online and thought it was a fun thing to do initially, 5 generations of your tree colour coded by County.

Although it was initially fun, it was a bit of an eye opener for me to see how much of a spread my family had. Surprised me
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

(Template available through J Paul Hawthorne's website here: geneaspy.com/2016/03/a-litt…)

Comment

I've seen that doing the rounds on Twitter this week. It's been around a while - funny how things come back again. I've got mine somewhere but I need to dig it out.

Even using counties, my mother's was VERY boring- all Glos, Bucks and Oxon. My father's was far more interesting.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Found it -this is my paternal ancestry. My father was born in Leeds, where his father happened to be working at the time.

colourfulancestry.jpg
        Caroline
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

That's a real diverse spread there Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Paulc View Post
            That's a real diverse spread there Caroline
            Like so many other families, they came from all over and all met in London, even though one lot had moved out to Walthamstow by 1900. The Scots met the Midlanders in Camberwell, the other half met in Islington, though my grandparents actually met in Germany in 1919.
            Caroline

Comment

I've updated my mother's. No connection between the Essex grandmothers until their offspring met in Warrington at the RN base.

colourfulancestry2.jpg
              Caroline

Comment

Hmm, mine would be totally boring because all my Dad's side are from Bedfordshire and all my Mum's side are from West Yorkshire. Just a couple of ones from neighbouring counties in the earlier generations.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                  I've updated my mother's. No connection between the Essex grandmothers until their offspring met in Warrington at the RN base.

colourfulancestry2.jpg
                  Interesting. I wonder how many of your families lived on the borders of the county, I know some of my wider family dipped in and out of the Glos/Oxford and Norfolk/Suffolk borders.

I started to colour my Dad's side of the family, but initially ran out of colours!
                  Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    Hmm, mine would be totally boring because all my Dad's side are from Bedfordshire and all my Mum's side are from West Yorkshire. Just a couple of ones from neighbouring counties in the earlier generations.

Anne
                    Nah, you're just a home bird like me Anne

Family Migration.JPG

Attached Files
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I can't get a blank one to download. It's the author's own filled in one despite the file name saying it's a blank one. How do you get the colouring thing to work if you want to change from what's there already?

Comment

I made my own on Excel back then. Normally using Excel, you'll need to right click on a cell and format the fill colour. I haven't used this template.

I could upload mine for you to alter when I'm next downstairs if nobody else has come to your aid.

P.S. I have a football match to watch first .....

Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                          I can't get a blank one to download. It's the author's own filled in one despite the file name saying it's a blank one. How do you get the colouring thing to work if you want to change from what's there already?
                          All I did was to use what they had used then double clicked on a place name and renamed it.. [I eventually ended up importing it into google sheets and adding another column]

Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

OK, how's this for keeping to one place? It starts with me. I didn't really realise that it was quite unusual until recently. I look on myself as Yorkshire because that's where I was born. Dad was Bedfordshire through and through but did live in Yorkshire for much of his life!

Colourful Ancestors for Anne.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post

Interesting. I wonder how many of your families lived on the borders of the county, I know some of my wider family dipped in and out of the Glos/Oxford and Norfolk/Suffolk borders.

I started to colour my Dad's side of the family, but initially ran out of colours!
                              The yellow. blue and orange are all within a few miles of each other as are most of the pale green. They were mostly tenant farmers so the birthplace was dependant on the father's tenancy at the time. I said it was boring on that side.
                              Caroline

Comment

Could I please have the one that goes to 4xgg parents? I have tried to add on generations to downloaded one but have failed. I'm just not technically / mathematically minded

Comment

colourful-ancestry.xlsx

A blank one - I hope it works for you. I seem to have cut off the headings - I will repair it tomorrow. Bedtime now.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Caroline

Comment

Thank you

Comment

That's me completed them. Can I upload spreadsheets. If not, how do I copy the sheet and make it into a format I can upload? Sorry for being dense

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                        That's me completed them. Can I upload spreadsheets. If not, how do I copy the sheet and make it into a format I can upload? Sorry for being dense
                                        This is a better version.

colourful-ancestry-both-parents.xlsx

I did screenprints for mine and uploaded the pictures. You can use Upload Attachment for the spreadsheet but it only gives a link.
                                        Caroline

Comment

Working...
                                        X