ordering a pdf certificate online - Louisa Bowman born 1882

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ordering a pdf certificate online - Louisa Bowman born 1882

Too many questions means it is time to order a birth certificate online for Louisa Bowman born 1882. So I go to the GRO site and look at the prices. A proper certificate costs 35 pounds. I see there is a cheaper version. The cost looks like seven pounds. BUT there is an "A" with a squiggle on top in front of the pound sign. What does that A squiggle mean?
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-07-21, 15:29.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

It's only a priority certificate (next day delivery) which is £35.

Are you using the official site? General Register Office - Online Ordering Service - Login (gro.gov.uk)

A standard PDF is £7.00 , "Standard - £7.00, despatched on the 4th working day from receipt of order." No squiggles on the page I'm looking at.

Comment

Then it must be something in my computer picking up a ???(something) and displaying it as an A with a squiggle on top.
      Thanks for the link and the info
      Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Probably your computer struggling with the £ sign I think, if you are on the link Jill has given.
        Anne

Comment

If you are referring to the Louisa Bowman born June quarter 1882 Richmond (the only plain Louisa born 1882), Gro index shows mmn as Taylor. Looking at census she was born in Barnes, the daughter of Matthew Bowman and Sarah Ann Taylor married June.qtr.1873 Richmond. In 1891 census surname on Ancestry transcribed as 'Boudman' and in 1901 as 'Bourman'.

(The other Louisa born 1882 was a Louisa Elizabeth Bowman, birth Mar.qtr.1882 Camberwell who was the daughter of a Henry Aslin Bowman and Louisa Elphinstone Wilson married Sep.1880 Camberwell. Looks like mother died as result of childbirth as her death registered Mar.1882 also).

Annette

Comment

I'm interested in Louisa Elizabeth Bowman LEB. Her mother LEW died of milk fever. I cannot find her grandmother... Louisa Wilson.. living in London... far too many so gave up quickly. There is a tree on Ancestry that says that LEB died in Richmond 1901 but I don't see the proof and the other Louisa lived in Richmond. So the birth and (wrong?) death certs are on order and a possible marriage in 1909. Louisa LEW is my OHs first cousin twice removed from the third wife. A mystery as the only stories handed down about LEW was "tragic and refuse to discuss it". LEW married Henry Aslin bowman born in Darlington, Durham and lived in Danby Wistle. Don't know why she was in Camberwell in 1882 when her daughter LEB was born and she died. Looking forward to the end of Covid so I don't spend so much time wandering around the family tree which I thought I had put to bed before Covid. sigh
            Donelda

Comment

If 'your' Louisa Elizabeth Bowman was the one who married in 1909 IF she married George Thomas Smith she could be the Louisa E Smith b.1882 (no full birthdate) who was in Banstead Hospital, Sutton, Surrey in 1939 which was the county asylum. This could give rise to the comment 'tragic and refuse to discuss it'! If this IS her, she died in 1955 Surrey Mid. Eastern (which covered Banstead Hospital).

However, following her from marriage until 1939 with surname like Smith would be a nightmare.

Annette

Comment

Just got my Louisa Elizabeth's birth record. She was born 19 jan 1882 at 7 Love Walk in Camberwell. Love Walk is rather interesting. Louisa's mother Louisa shows her address on her marriage cert as 7 Love Walk in 1880. We assume she moved to Reedholme, Danby Wiske after the marriage as that is the address of Henry Bowman. Then mother Louisa returns to Love Walk in 1882 to have the baby. In 1881 the comedian Harold St. Maur and family were living at 7 Love Walk. Where is that Time Machine when you need it. Every time one finds a bit of information umpteen more questions pop up.
                I will have to wait until the 1909 marriage certificate arrives in the mail. Could not find a button to ask for a pdf for the marriage certificate. And we found another possible marriage in 1908 in Ripon (where louisa was living in 1901) with the first name recorded as Louie. Will keep you posted if I find out any more. Meanwhile we have kept busy for a couple of days finding out about Henry Aslin bowman's roots. That was very entertaining
                Donelda

Comment

Just for info .... the GRO don't do marriage certificates as PDFs, just births and deaths.
                  Anne

Comment

Annette... thanks for all your hints. Here's hoping the 1909 marriage is NOT my Louisa. The 1901 death cert arrived in my inbox and it is for Louisa Bowman daughter of Matthew. Just as I suspected. One option down. Now to wonder if she died in 1906 or married in 1908 while I wait for the 1909 cert to arrive.
                    Donelda

Comment

1. Annette... here is an update. July 6 - and the marriage cert arrives in Victoria, BC and it is not the correct Louisa Elizabeth Bowman. This one had a father Matthew, a coachman domestic. My LEB's father was Henry, a farmer then salvation army officer. So on to option four and another three week wait. The 1906 death was also not her.
                      Donelda

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested. Option #4 was a success Louise Elizabeth Bowman married George Knowles on 8 Jan 1908 in Ripon. Free bmd shows two children Gladys DecQ 1911 and William SepQ 1915. Much happiness here. Now to see if I can find her in the 1911 census or 1939 register.
                        Donelda

Comment

Annette... here is an update. July 6 - and the marriage cert arrives in Victoria, BC and it is not the correct Louisa Elizabeth Bowman. This one had a father Matthew, a coachman domestic. My LEB's father was Henry, a farmer then salvation army officer. So on to option four and another three week wait.
                          Donelda

Comment

GRO Roulette...I'm playing too.

Comment

Nelde, there are 2 more children. George Leslie Mar 1909 Ripon and Winifred Muriel Jun 1910 also Ripon. They are on the GRO site. Think they will probably belong to your family.
                              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Nelde,

here they are in 1911: https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh I got mad at the posting method. I was going to change my entry and all I did was repeat the July 6 entry. Argh. I don't have ancestry but my good geneaology buddy has a current membership and she found the divorce papers for George and Louie.
                                  Louisa is referred to as Louie all the way through the documents. I suspect she changed her spelling sometime between 1901 and 1908 and it stuck. Anyway the divorce papers list the children will all names and actual birthdates. it appears that Louie was playing around in the winter of 1917/18 and the summer of 1918 while George was with the 188th Seige Battery in France. He came home, was not impressed, divorced and he got the kids. I can trace second daughter Gladys through marriage and death but the rest are off the radar. So maybe they immigrated. Henry one had 14 children with three wives Those 14 children (many died very young) produced 14 grandchildren. Those 14 grands gave him 15 greats. OH's supply of second cousins just went up. Thanks for all your enthusiasm.
                                  Donelda

Comment

Originally posted by Nelde View Post
                                    Oh I got mad at the posting method. I was going to change my entry and all I did was repeat the July 6 entry. Argh. I don't have ancestry but my good geneaology buddy has a current membership and she found the divorce papers for George and Louie.
                                    Louisa is referred to as Louie all the way through the documents. I suspect she changed her spelling sometime between 1901 and 1908 and it stuck. Anyway the divorce papers list the children will all names and actual birthdates. it appears that Louie was playing around in the winter of 1917/18 and the summer of 1918 while George was with the 188th Seige Battery in France. He came home, was not impressed, divorced and he got the kids. I can trace second daughter Gladys through marriage and death but the rest are off the radar. So maybe they immigrated. Henry one had 14 children with three wives Those 14 children (many died very young) produced 14 grandchildren. Those 14 grands gave him 15 greats. OH's supply of second cousins just went up. Thanks for all your enthusiasm.
                                    If you need any images re census shout up and I'll send them over.
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Nelde, I looked some of them up yesterday for you the decided you probably knew about them. I think Winifred was in Harrogate in 1939 single and travelled to Canada in the mid 40's still single to settle there. That's what made me think you would know as you are in Canada. Will look again.
                                      Lin

Comment

Just looked her up again.
                                        1939 St Georges Road Harrogate, born 12 May 1910, single, domestic servant.

Departure List. 23 Dec 1946 from Southampton to Nova Scotia on the Cunard Line Aquitania.
                                        aged 36 born Ripon, single, domestic, permanent residence Canada.

Have save document if you need it. On FMP,
                                        Lin

Comment

Working...
                                        X