Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Henry Adolphus Rigley b1846

Hi
    I'm trying to figure out how many marriages Henry had and if he had any children.
    I can find a marriage to Annie Elizabeth Dabb in 1867 in Yorkshire. Then he’s back in London and marrying Sarah Lowrey in 1871. In the 1911 census he is with Caroline in Grimsby. Can’t find any children at all. I’m new to researching so probably not searching in the right places. Hoping someone can help.

have you got him in all census? and no children with him or his wives in any of them?

you can join for free with the general register office, and search their birth indexes for children with the surname rigley and a mother's maiden name of dabb between 1867-1871 to see if there any children. and then repeat with the surname lowrey for any children with the second wife. if you can work out caroline's maiden name, can repeat the process. then you can order any of the records as a pdf for 7.50. they are downloadable from the GRO after they have been added to your account, usually less than a week.

Comment

I will do that. I’m trying to help a newly found dna connection to locate her fathers birth family and we think this family connects us both. I’m also in the process of finding my birth father.

Comment

Found a baby born to Henry and Annie Elizabeth October 1866 and died December 1866.
        No sign as far as I can see on any census until 1911. A mystery.

Comment

Does the 1911 say he was a retired mariner? Could explain why he's not easily found on the census.

In 1871 he & Sarah are in Hackney & he's an omnibus conductor. I think it says Sarah was born Sunderland, but its quite faint.

In 1891 they are in Cleethorpes, Lincs as Sarah & HARRY Rigley - RG12, Piece 2616, Folio 139, Page 40

Harry Rigley 42 Brother, 42, Steward Steam Ships, b London
          Sarah Rigley 43 Sister in Law b London

They are in the home of David & Frances WOOD and family. Frances was also born London, and as her maiden name was also Rigley I assume she is Henry's sister (see daughter's birth registration below)

WOOD, AMELIA mmn RIGLEY GRO Reference: 1890 J Quarter in CAISTOR Volume 07A Page 602

There are articles in 1879 about a Henry RIGLEY, Steward of the ship Cymbeline being charged at the South Shields Police Court with smuggling 3 lbs of tobacco and 1lb of cigars.

There's an article in the Hull Packet 25 Feb 1881 about what could possibly be Sarah: DRUNKENNESS - Sarah Lowery alias Rigley alias Ramsey, charged with being drunk and disorderly, fined 10s and costs.

The Hull Packet of 27 May 1881 & 3 Jun 1881, and the Hull Daily News 04 Jun 1881 all carry a story about a Sarah Ann Rigley alias Lowery stealing a clock, and mentions a Steamer (ship) and Newcastle, and the fact that Sarah was drunk.

A possible death for Sarah could be in Nov 1908 at sea, aboard the Rewa. No forename is given, but the Rewa was a passenger steamship

EDITED TO ADD: It looks like the Rewa was often (mainly?) used to transport army personnel to India.

ADDED: Also a possible death 1894, Durham. Sarah Rigley aged 44.

Comment

I think this is also Henry, but with a misreported (or changed) middle name:

Eastern Morning News 20 April 1897
            GRIMSBY BOROUGH POLICE

THEFT OF SHIP'S STORES
            Henry George Rigby, aged 50, Steward, residing in Trinity Street, was charged with stealing ship's stores from one of Mr H Smethurst's ships on the 15th inst, value 2s 6d. Prisoner was seen to leave the fish dock with the provisions, and as he said he got them from the steam trawler Hesto he was locked up. Prisoner pleaded guilty and was fined £1 1s, or one month.

The theft was also reported in the Stamford Mercury 23 April 1897 under the heading Grimsby Police Court

Comment

I did start looking at this last night and was confused why in 1911 he was married to Caroline born in Uxbridge for 38 years, and was trying to make sense of this.

Good find in the papers Teasie

I didn't find any children.

the 1861 census on Ancestry he is transcribed as Bigley , and is with sisters Frances and Maria and widowed mother Mary Ann
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
              Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I think that Caroline may possibly be in the 1901 census at 21 Fotherby Street, Grimsby as Caroline ROWLEY aged 46 & born Uxbridge - RG13/3090/180/41

With her is a 6-year-old niece named Fanny Woods, and the only person I can see with a similar name in 1911 is 15-year-old Fanny WOOD - daughter of the previously mentioned David & Frances Wood, nee Rigley.
                Last edited by teasie; 12-06-21, 00:30. Reason: Edited for error in census year

Comment

Caroline Rowley's maiden name appears to be Caroline King, who married Thomas Rowley in 1872, Hillingdon.

In 1881 & 1891 they are at Bland Street/Great Bland Street, Southwark with a daughter, Florence/Florrie born c1876 (9 Apr 1876 according to the London Schools Admissions records, although I can't trace her birth).

ADDED: Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper 07 April 1878 seems to provide the answer! Florence was the illegitimate daughter of Rosanna Laws & William Rowley, the (married) brother of Thomas Rowley. It was arranged that Thomas & Caroline would adopt the child.

LAWES, FLORENCE (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in HACKNEY Volume 01B Page 571

Caroline died 5 Dec 1938 as Caroline Mary Rowley, and was buried 9 December at Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby.

Comment

Thank you for all this information.

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                      Caroline Rowley's maiden name appears to be Caroline King, who married Thomas Rowley in 1872, Hillingdon.

In 1881 & 1891 they are at Bland Street/Great Bland Street, Southwark with a daughter, Florence/Florrie born c1876 (9 Apr 1876 according to the London Schools Admissions records, although I can't trace her birth).

ADDED: Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper 07 April 1878 seems to provide the answer! Florence was the illegitimate daughter of Rosanna Laws & William Rowley, the (married) brother of Thomas Rowley. It was arranged that Thomas & Caroline would adopt the child.

LAWES, FLORENCE (no mmn) GRO Reference: 1876 J Quarter in HACKNEY Volume 01B Page 571

Caroline died 5 Dec 1938 as Caroline Mary Rowley, and was buried 9 December at Scartho Road Cemetery, Grimsby.
                      wow, that's interesting. Do you think Caroline and Henry married? but not 38 years earlier in 1873
                      Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

wow, that's interesting. Do you think Caroline and Henry married? but not 38 years earlier in 1873
                        No, I don't think they did, particularly as her death is under the surname Rowley.

The census is also a bit ambiguous in that the years married is next to his name, not hers, so I'm also wondering if Sarah was still alive somewhere, possibly 'married' to someone else. Or maybe Thomas was?

Comment

There are clearly bits added after they completed it. Sounds reasonable assumption.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                          X