Find My Past Family Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find My Past Family Trees

I did have a private tree on FMP, I tried contacting someone who apparently shared a common ancestor and predictably didn't get a reply, but then I wondered, on the Tree Hint I got all the information that this person held about our common ancestor with a button to press inviting me to update my tree with the new information. Does this mean that my tree isn't really private and anyone with a common relative can see the information and update their tree without contacting me?

I must admit that I don't know if the other person had a private or public tree, but it made me a bit uneasy.

On sort of the same subject, as FMP and GR are both owned by the same firm why couldn't FMP just use the GR matching techniques which used to work brilliantly in the early days before the new owners mucked about with it all.

Glump over, I've a cherry cake in the oven and it smells just about ready.
    Margaret

Sorry I don't know how FMP trees operate but I want to have a general rant in the same direction if I may.

I just joined My Heritage and they send me so called 'matches' with the invitation "with one click you can add 20 people to your tree". I am frankly appalled by this. Why would I add people to my tree that I have not checked out? The matches so far have been either erroneous or ones I already know about.

It looks as if FMP are adopting the same policy and of course Ancestry do invite you to match trees from other people but not quite so blatantly, I think.

Anne

Comment

Me too with the MyHeritage Smart Matches. Just last night I got one with 20 people in it from a tree/family site belong to someone I had never heard of. I wanted to check every one to see if this person had same info as me or perhaps more or even less. No go! I could either accept them all in one click or reject them. I rejected them in the hope they could still be found by another method but they went up in smoke and as I forgot to screenshot the owner’s name, they are gone for good.
      We need a place to park these till they have been individually checked.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
        Me too with the MyHeritage Smart Matches. Just last night I got one with 20 people in it from a tree/family site belong to someone I had never heard of. I wanted to check every one to see if this person had same info as me or perhaps more or even less. No go! I could either accept them all in one click or reject them. I rejected them in the hope they could still be found by another method but they went up in smoke and as I forgot to screenshot the owner’s name, they are gone for good.
        We need a place to park these till they have been individually checked.
        That's what I've moaned about on here before, and I keep complaining to them about every chance I get. Silly system. I just have to ignore them in case one day ......
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
        X